Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #21
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Yuck, the designs from the games are far better, and the games are way better anyway
Yuck indeed. The game model looks and acts like a woman. That's good enough for me.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #22
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Yuck, the designs from the games are far better, and the games are way better anyway
Seriously? Yuck? You'd rather have a video game design over a real actress? To each their own, but Wow, you think Anya Chalotra is Yuck???
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:30 PM   #23
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
Seriously? Yuck? You'd rather have a video game design over a real actress? To each their own, but Wow, you think Anya Chalotra is Yuck???
I'm with you..... (imo) most computer generated female characters look "generic" - I think it's because with male characters, designers are not afraid to add some "imperfections" into their looks, the odd scar here, or missing eye there (Solid Snake) - which means male characters have far more range, where as, designers seem to follow a more formulaic approach to women....and they end up looking very "samey"

With a real world actress, you're gonna get that range - and sure, the outcome won't be for everyone - but it will make for a more interesting piece (imo)
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:32 PM   #24
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Real women look different than these getting the roles, just sayin'. That aside, it's the fact that real life movies/TV deliver an inferior product to the source material.

At least with videogames (except certain recent big budget Western games) the 3D models are intentionally sculpted anatomically female, and move like them too. Japan can still be trusted in this respect. Many newer sculptors, even P1 hires, have poor anatomical skills.

Whatever, let people like what they want. I want my women to look the part with more exacting detail.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #25
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
Real women look different than these getting the roles, just sayin'. That aside, it's the fact that real life movies/TV deliver an inferior product to the source material.

At least with videogames (except certain recent big budget Western games) the 3D models are intentionally sculpted anatomically female, and move like them too. Japan can still be trusted in this respect. Many newer sculptors, even P1 hires, have poor anatomical skills.

Whatever, let people like what they want. I want my women to look the part with more exacting detail.
I understand the point you're making with that comment - however, the point I made still holds true. Even the most universally attractive real life woman will still have some feature flaws - no doubt, those exact "flaws" might even contribute to her beauty. This random occurrence (flaw) is extremely hard to "design" onto a character concept....at least without tipping the portrait into the realm of being universally considered repulsive or ugly....

Case in point, check out the thread "Sexy Creatures" on this forum - imo - most of those portrait sculpts coming out of those Chinese companies look the same.....my guess is they'd rather play it safe and go "generic" than run the risk of the statue not selling, if they did try to do something more "real".

All that said, you're correct - people should go with what they like - I think all our discussion is proving, is that there's a clear market for both types of product.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #26
MegatronG1
The X-Men

I wholeheartedly agree with your argument that the mostly presumably male sculptors idealize their female figure work. It's always going to be a problem in a hobby whose subjects are almost all superheroes of some sort. I could live with that idealization for game characters probably because of the graphics having a sort of hyper realistic impression on me. The high frame rates, saturated colors, I don't know. There's a certain charm in idealizing game character statues when done properly.

But what I also meant to argue was my stubborn doubt of whether actresses are really even female. That could explain why I always tend to find them ugly, both on the inside and out, and always preferred local real life women.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:56 PM   #27
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'm with you..... (imo) most computer generated female characters look "generic" - I think it's because with male characters, designers are not afraid to add some "imperfections" into their looks, the odd scar here, or missing eye there (Solid Snake) - which means male characters have far more range, where as, designers seem to follow a more formulaic approach to women....and they end up looking very "samey"

With a real world actress, you're gonna get that range - and sure, the outcome won't be for everyone - but it will make for a more interesting piece (imo)
Thanks, yeah I'm sure a real person's look is harder to turn into a statue, but it can be done by really good artist, which companies like Prime 1 and Sideshow have, now if somebody prefers the video game version, that's fine, but I was surprised they said Yuck to Anya, she's not Yuck at all to me
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:02 PM   #28
Megalith
Frackin!

Aren't all the other Witcher statues 1/4?
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:04 PM   #29
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
But what I also meant to argue was my stubborn doubt of whether actresses are really even female. That could explain why I always tend to find them ugly, both on the inside and out, and always preferred local real life women.
Well, we know there's no such thing as a "female" - it's a simple social construct to categorize a sub set of physical characteristics. I'm not even speaking from the perspective of the fashionable "woke" gender debate - just from an existential stand point.

People are just people. Granted, certain physiological chemicals will determine overt behaviour types (estrogen and testosterone for example)

But here's where your argument holds water - imo - it's highly unlikely that a statue based on a character from a compunter game, comic or cartoon - is going to suddenly be exposed in "real life" as some deviant worthy of scorn (e.g. Amber Heard, Kevin Spacey, Ezra Miller....etc.) thereby rendering the statue as undesirable and equally worthy of scorn.....yes, the aforementioned computer character can be retconned (Master Chief), by an inept or disrespectful writer.....but that's still different to suddenly finding out something nasty about your favourite actor / actress.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #30
MegatronG1
The X-Men

I don't buy into relativism. Can't change your chromosomes or skeletal geometry with potions. People can deceive the multitudes and "pass" for some time but that ends.

It's all fiction that we're here for anyway. I don't need "real" people encumbering my immersion with their jarring imperfections and real life drama. I skip all that noise and gravitate more towards animated and games, because they give me a cleaner escapism.

Yes, people are people, all are due their dignity, after all, despite their presumptions, but must I disagree with your materialist reductionism. There is more at play, beyond the observable physical, and you have centuries of philosophers and saints covering these topics.