Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 06-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Primal
Batman

7 months later...the lines continue for the Wii!

Unbelievable.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3872523.html
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

Nintendo truly is the juggernaut of the industry again. It's a hard point to argue, before long they'll be the leader in worldwide console sales for this generation, long since been the leader in the handheld market, and I'd assume (don't know any numbers on this) that they're one of the biggest publishers of video games as well.

Seriously wish I would had the foresight to purchase Nintendo stock as it's been fantastic. I figured the Wii would be very popular, but this is insane.
Spatial.Archite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I still have alot of doubts about the Wii. It's going to have the same problem the 64 and the Gamecube had. Third party support. Nintendo makes great games, but when they're the only guys making the cool games, it makes for a slow system lineup. So far, the third party games have been weak and that'll probably stay that way. Once supply meets demand, it'll hard for Nintendo to maintain the interest in their system. Just my opinion.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Nightcrawler777
spooky...

Thats cause the Wii's awesome...
Ive been playing mine like crazy since day one..
Its just Fun...

It seems alot of game makers have forgot that games are supposed to be fun..
Nightcrawler777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
I still have alot of doubts about the Wii. It's going to have the same problem the 64 and the Gamecube had. Third party support. Nintendo makes great games, but when they're the only guys making the cool games, it makes for a slow system lineup. So far, the third party games have been weak and that'll probably stay that way. Once supply meets demand, it'll hard for Nintendo to maintain the interest in their system. Just my opinion.
3rd parties are clamoring to get Wii games out, many companies have even stated they overestimated the popularity of the PS3 and underestimated the Wii. There's even quite a few 3rd-party Wii exclusive titles with all kinds of rumblings of PS3 games getting shelved in favor of Wii development. Most 3rd party games have been week because they were basically quick offerings to cash in on the popularity. Not to mention, it's a slow time of the year for video-gamers. Most big releases are pushed back until the holiday season.

The problem the 64 and GameCube had were limited hardware sales. So, 3rd-parties went with the generation leader; larger audience means more possible sales. It won't be long before Nintendo's easily the console market leader; if Nintendo could have produced enough consoles, they'd easily be the current market leader.

IGN lists over 130 Wii games scheduled for release before the end of the year, then there's the WiiWare which allows companies to create original titles for download through the Virtual Console service. I think 3rd party support won't be much of a problem for the Wii.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Justin
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler777 View Post
Thats cause the Wii's awesome...
Ive been playing mine like crazy since day one..
Its just Fun...

It seems alot of game makers have forgot that games are supposed to be fun..
Could not agree more!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
I have no clue why that is like that cause it's not even popular around here or even close to here. The local walmart is always stocked and has wii's all the time.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 AM   #8
Brru
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Ya I dont see this article being all that much about demand as it is supply. Companies purposely lower supply to raise the demand. I know I can go get one down the block without any issues and thats within walking distance. In new york or New Jersey that may be another story though. So I don't see more people wanting it. I just think Nintendo isnt trying to overproduce the market with them.
Brru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brru View Post
Ya I dont see this article being all that much about demand as it is supply. Companies purposely lower supply to raise the demand. I know I can go get one down the block without any issues and thats within walking distance. In new york or New Jersey that may be another story though. So I don't see more people wanting it. I just think Nintendo isnt trying to overproduce the market with them.
I wouldn't say that, producing close to 10 million Wiis in a period of 7 months isn't even remotely close to lowering supply. Demand in this case has so far exceeded the supply that Nintendo's considering more factories to up production. If Nintendo was capable of manufacturing twice as many consoles as they have I'd assume they'd have done it without question... 'cause they'd probably just about all be sold by now.

Look at it this way, by the end of the year the Wii will, most likely, have sold more systems than the Xbox 360 and the PS3 combined, and analysts are predicting the Wii shortages could last until mid-2008. If true, that's most likely unprecedented, don't know the numbers, but I can't think of any console that the demand was so high that it was hard to find one 20 months after release.

I work in Electronics in Wal-Mart in a tiny town in Michigan. And I can honestly say we can't keep them in stock at all. We get in fairly regular shipments, and they're pretty much gone instantly. Whenever there's a Wii in our circular there's people waiting in line for hours to get one.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I frogot the whole explaintion my one friend told me who works at Game stop. Most retail stores have lots of Wiis in wearhouse, but they are limiting 3-5 a week for sale a week. They do this for a year and then when x-mass time hit, they then can release truck loads of them and have guaranteed sales.

Wether thats true or not, would be a good way to create a demand for a item all year long.

Ill get one one day, but not going to go crazy for it.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote