Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
The LCS I currently shop at sells everythign already bagged and boarded. I no longer have this problem.

Back when I did, all comics at least got thrown into bags/boards when I brought them in the house. Somethimes I'd tape right away, other times I'd tape after I read them. If you force yourself into this kind of pattern, it makes sorting them much easier later on, and less likely that you will needlessly mangle the books.

Teague - I know what you mean about some companies not putting out as much. I use these as filler to fill out some boxes with excess room. I also use crumbled up newspaper for this purpose - it keeps the books from shifting and sliding in boxes with excess room.

Also consider putting dead titles in the same box. Because you are not buying more issues, you don't need to shift books around as much.
the problem with LCS bags and boards is there not mylar.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
Teague - I know what you mean about some companies not putting out as much. I use these as filler to fill out some boxes with excess room. I also use crumbled up newspaper for this purpose - it keeps the books from shifting and sliding in boxes with excess room.

Also consider putting dead titles in the same box. Because you are not buying more issues, you don't need to shift books around as much.
I hadn't thought of separating "dead" titles from "active" ones--it's a good one, I think, and actually makes a lot more sense than the full-alphabetical I've been doing. Thanks for the tip--I may just do that!
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #13
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin
the problem with LCS bags and boards is there not mylar.
Depends on the LCS and what they stock, though. Some places, like mine, stock both the low-grade stuff (that most buyers want, honestly, since it's cheap) and the better, archival stuff for customers who don't mind paying more. There are only a couple of us at the store who pay for the higher-grade stuff, but yeah, I think it's worth it.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #14
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague
I hadn't thought of separating "dead" titles from "active" ones--it's a good one, I think, and actually makes a lot more sense than the full-alphabetical I've been doing. Thanks for the tip--I may just do that!
What I do to get around the alphabetical part is I list the titles in the box on a notecard. I tape the notecard with masking tape to the front of the box - not a lot of tape, just a piece. As I shift stuff around, I cross off titles and add titles. Periodically I start over with a fresh card. It makes it much easier to find stuff when doing periodic filing.

I also "cheat" for some titles and do a misc. "X-Men Mini-Series" kind of an entry for a group that gets a lot of mini-series. It makes filing go a little quicker. I probably have one or two boxes of stuff that is unlabeled and just done alphabetical. Every few years I go through it to pull out stuff that now has enough books to make it worth separately listing.

As for bag quality, not everything deserves mylar. I do that down the road after I figure it deserves it. Like I said, there are lots of ways to approach this stuff, and I like seeing what everyone elese is doing to see if it makes sense to incorporate into what I do.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #15
The Watcher
Loki

I seperate my collection by company and then by alphabetical order. It's in sync with the Overstreet Price Guide. I have the most current of each series at the front and the oldest at the back. The collection is small (just over 1,000 comics) and 95% are pre-1980. All are bagged and boarded. I use dividers to seperate each company so I don't have to worry about Charlton infiltrating DC.

I hate marked boxes and bags so I use different colored (circular) tabs to indicate the condition of each comic. Yellow (gold) tabs for very fine or near mint, green tabs for fine, blue tabs for very good and red tabs for good and below. The tabs are small, they secure the bag flap, they're easy to remove and they don't leave a mark.
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #16
Supple69
Doh!

My comic collection started getting ridiculous and when I had to move to a small apartment in Barcelona from a big house in England I was forced to sell 70% of it. I had a dilema, I didn't want to sell none of it but when it came down to the crunch I kept only the comics which I knew were key issues and valuable.

With the money I got from the dead titles I sold I upgraded the quality of the storage for the titles I kept by keeping them all boarded and in fresh comic bags in proper boxes with dividers separating the different companies and the comics in chronological order in those sections regardless of title.
Supple69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #17
Babytoxie
Ghost

Digging up an old thread:

My trades are all in Ultra-Pro polypropylene "acid -free" bags. Are these any good in terms of long-term storage? Any degradation problems?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
CanadianMachine
I am da law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Digging up an old thread:

My trades are all in Ultra-Pro polypropylene "acid -free" bags. Are these any good in terms of long-term storage? Any degradation problems?
Pretty much all my comics are in Ultra Pro bags. But I found after a couple of years the bags have started to get all wrinkly looking. So I have started to transfer them all to mylar2 with halfbacks and comic book extenders. I currently have my ASM and UXM collection transferred over, next is my Punisher collection.

Since I am currently transferring comics to mylar and selling some stuff, my collection is in a bit of a mess.
CanadianMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMachine View Post
Pretty much all my comics are in Ultra Pro bags. But I found after a couple of years the bags have started to get all wrinkly looking.
Mine have done the same thing, and it didn't even take a month. It doesn't seem to affect the trade covers, but still, it doesn't look good. Glad to see I'm not the only one (well, not "glad" - I feel your pain).

Mylars are constructed in flat sleeves, correct? Is there any kind of Mylar construct for trades?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Books stored on a bookshelf (or TPBK) are generally OK if the shelf is full or use is made of bookends. By keeping the books close together, they get support which keeps the spine intact. It also keeps Oxygen away from the cover and the interior pages.

This does not work with comics as they do not have enough "heft" to them and would likely kill the spine.

In other words, you may gain something from bagging a TPBK, but if you do it right, you may not need to.

I'm glad someone resurrected this thread for another go around.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote