Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 09-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
deathsdayoff
Doh!

clays

hey, what kind of clay works best for you,especially for figures/statues and detail. I've used SS, i check out the threads every so often, what is the greenish/grey looking clay? here is a link of a sculpture on this forum: www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=35787

thanks-
deathsdayoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
rob
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

It's wax. This statue was not sculpted in wax. John transferred the original to wax. I don't know what kind he uses, you have to ask him. It is possible to sculpt in wax, many do it, including me. You tend to use slightly different techniques with this medium and I suggest you start with clay. Working with SS bugs and frustrates the hell out of me, while others achieve amazing detail and love working with the stuff. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
--Rob
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
chrisguyver
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
It's wax. This statue was not sculpted in wax. John transferred the original to wax. I don't know what kind he uses, you have to ask him. It is possible to sculpt in wax, many do it, including me. You tend to use slightly different techniques with this medium and I suggest you start with clay. Working with SS bugs and frustrates the hell out of me, while others achieve amazing detail and love working with the stuff. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.
--Rob
so what clay works best for you if you don't mind me asking. Just wanted to know because i started using ss and i don't think i like it to much. Its to soft if anyone has a better medium please let me know thanks.
chrisguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Dr.V2005
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I've only used SS, but will also use Magic Sculpt (two part epoxy putty) for details.
Dr.V2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguyver View Post
so what clay works best for you if you don't mind me asking. Just wanted to know because i started using ss and i don't think i like it to much. Its to soft if anyone has a better medium please let me know thanks.
Use the frim grey sculpey if SS is too soft for your liking.

I would reccomend SS in any form as the first choice for guys just starting out. Wax is great, but it takes a lot of experience to get it to do what you want.
William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
rob
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I like Chavant medium. The firm grey works OK for me but I get better results with the Chavant.
--Rob
rob is offline   Reply With Quote