Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

Internet Router Question

About a month ago I switched from Comcast Xfinity to Verizon FIOS for my internet, t.v., and phone. My internet speed through FIOS was supposed to be 75 down 35 up (75/35). A couple days after it was installed I noticed it actually seems slower than when I had Comcast.

I ran a speed test through Verizon's website and it was showing that I was only getting 35/28. But after a live chat session with someone from tech support, they did something on their end to fix it. Now I'm getting 84/39 consistently!

But here's the problem. I'm getting 84/39 on my computer when it's connected to the router/modem with an Ethernet cable, but as soon as I unplug the cable and use wireless, it dips to around 35/28 again. Even when I'm standing right next to the router with my laptop. This makes no sense.

Any suggestions from tech heads here? I know that a hardline is faster than wireless, but if I'm literally standing next to the router with my computer, no way can I loose over half my Internet speed as a result.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
rubeng
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Well first you have to understand your speeds will drop some being wireless, so it will not be the same as hardwired. Next you have to do process of elimination.
1. Hardwire you cpu to router and re-run speed tests.
If your sppeds are still slow, run a continous packet test and ping you router.
Start
Run
Type "cmd"
Command promt Box should open.
Type " ipconfig" this will give you ip address. ex 192.168.etc
Next Type "ping (space)(your ip address)(space) -t
Pings should come back around 1ms
if they are very high, then its possible something in router setting or router itself.

2. Repeat this process wireless
Ping may come back slightly higher.

Also try another laptop just to eliminate your wireless card.

One thing that affects wireless is radiant barrier, you could be right next to router and have high pings.
Hope this helps troubleshoot some.
rubeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Bacon Hater
Doh!

Did you get your internet fixed? I work for Verizon and might be able to help you out.
Bacon Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
dao2
Cyclops

Wireless sucks? :P

Not sure about the Verizon router but some have the ability to control the range they provide service too, if that's the case you can try lowering the range to the smallest possible area. Also no idea how good their router is but you can just get wireless router (they're pretty cheap) then plug it into one of the open ports on the router and have it be an access point.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote