Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 01-18-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
kujwa
Justice League

Does Signed/sketch matter?

I?m possibly going to buy two statues that one is signed and one has a sketch, both by Randy. Someone I trust said that sign/sketch really doesn?t increase price but the seller is making it a selling point to charge a bit more. Not ridiculous more. Also what about AP and low numbers?
kujwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Signed and/or sketched doesn't usually make a whole lot of difference, in my experience. It might go for a small premium depending on who's buying. Same with APs which are usually just replacement pieces labeled AP. I have seen pieces numbered 1 go for a pretty significant premium in the past...that's been a few years now, but there was a market for them...there might still be. After that there's no real significance to the number.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

There's always a small group of collectors in this hobby that collect signed statues, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee a big payday. Same with low numbers or AP pieces. There's a very small market out there where that type of thing matters, but it's not as prevalent as it is with prints.

It really just comes down to whether or not the signature/sketch is worth the extra $ to YOU.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 PM   #4
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I actually purchased off of Ebay the first afS Cap America statue they Bowen did and the box had his autograph on it, it was an AP with either his initials or a sketch on it (I am at work right now so I cannot look to see what is on the bottom exactly) and I paid $140 plus $25 in shipping. If I remember correctly the statue was up for auction and I was the only bidder

However in the post for the statue, the seller only showed the autograph in the box, nothing that was in the bottom of the base so I was surprised when I saw that.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:00 AM   #5
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

A little value not much. No one aside from you is looking on the bottom.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #6
FJC
Midnighter

If I can get an unsigned piece for less, I'd be all over that. The only piece I would pay slightly more for is creators of the character I'm buying. For eample: A Stan Lee signature on a Spidey statue, a signature and/or sketch by George Perez on the Maestro statue, a signature and/or sketch by Rob Liefeld on a Deadpool statue...and so on.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
wolfius
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
a signature and/or sketch by Rob Liefeld on a Deadpool statue...
this inspires too many jokes to narrow it down to just one.
wolfius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:42 AM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfius View Post
this inspires too many jokes to narrow it down to just one.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:10 AM   #9
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

Having a signature on any collectible will add some type of value whether it's sentimental or worth. It's all based on you as a collector. To me, a signature/sketch makes a statue more appealing, not necessarily more valuable, but it depends on who's signing/sketching the piece. Like someone mentioned, the creator of a character adds value and the more popular that creator is the higher the value (obviously).

I usually like getting creator signatures the most, but the sculptor and a popular artist of the character is always a great addition too. For example, the Kotobukiya Amazing Spider-Man statue sculpted by Erick Sosa. I got Stan to sign (creator), McFarlane sign because the statue was based off his style Spider-Man (popular artist) and I'd like to get Erick Sosa's signature as the sculptor. For me, it's like an artist signing his own artwork...it adds a personal touch to it.

I think any one of us would take a signed statue over a non-signed piece, but at what cost...? That's up to you.
Hellsbells51 is offline   Reply With Quote