Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Cellar Cast/Boris

For a long time now I have been trying to find a Cellar Cast "Leather Jacket" by Vallejo. I was wondering if Cellar Cast is still in business? I think Steve West went somewhere else but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if any of Boris' stuff was ever in statue form or was it all in unpainted resin form that had to be painted by the buyer?

Actually, I see a lot of resin model stuff that I like but have no talent for painting. Does anyone on this board, besides the high dollar pros (who are worth it, but expensive) do painting for fees? Is it per hour or do you have per piece rates? If I wanted to try to become a decent model painter does anyone know where I could go to get a tutorial to get started? I ordered a book off Amazon, but I think it is more for people who already have some idea of what they are doing.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
For a long time now I have been trying to find a Cellar Cast "Leather Jacket" by Vallejo. I was wondering if Cellar Cast is still in business? I think Steve West went somewhere else but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if any of Boris' stuff was ever in statue form or was it all in unpainted resin form that had to be painted by the buyer?

Actually, I see a lot of resin model stuff that I like but have no talent for painting. Does anyone on this board, besides the high dollar pros (who are worth it, but expensive) do painting for fees? Is it per hour or do you have per piece rates? If I wanted to try to become a decent model painter does anyone know where I could go to get a tutorial to get started? I ordered a book off Amazon, but I think it is more for people who already have some idea of what they are doing.
Steve West is now working for Sideshow. Don't think Cellar Cast is still in business but I'm not sure so it could be. I used to have all of the Cellar Cast Boris kits, including Leather Jacket, but sold them. They are all fantastic kits. You can't go wrong with Boris and West. I'm almost certain none of them was ever made available as a pre-painted statue. Your best bet at this point is to keep an eye out for them on eBay. Good luck.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Zurb is right, none of the West pieces were done as pre-paints. His Cave Troll bust that was converted to one of SShows Legendary Scale pieces is the only one I know that ever made it to pre-paint status.

Besides the books, you can also try the DVD tutorials by David Fisher. They start at the entry level and move up in skill level from there. VERY worth the price. You can find them here: http://www.amazingmodeler.com/merchandise.htm#2

Happy painting!

Rick
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDTM View Post
Zurb is right, none of the West pieces were done as pre-paints. His Cave Troll bust that was converted to one of SShows Legendary Scale pieces is the only one I know that ever made it to pre-paint status.

Besides the books, you can also try the DVD tutorials by David Fisher. They start at the entry level and move up in skill level from there. VERY worth the price. You can find them here: http://www.amazingmodeler.com/merchandise.htm#2

Happy painting!

Rick
Wow Rick, that stuff in your gallery is awsome!! Thanks for your help RE tutorial sources.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
erwin
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Amazons Pet, Vampires Kiss, Leather Jacket comes out as kits. Only Primeval Princess has had to versions (kit and pre-painted). Sometimes you can get one at eBay.
Good luck.
Erwin
erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
skullting
Doh!

Hi, guys...
Just wanna to share with you that Steve West is an incredible sculptor...but the only thing that i have from him is this "vampire kiss " statue-kit. I built and painted it by myself and what i can say is that you have to be a serious modeler to turn it the way you want...a real challenge !

If you like my job, maybe i can help or work for you (the only problem is that i'm living in France !)...
About steve West, you can find his add with his Cellar Cast adress in any Amazing Figure Modeler mag...but it will be hard to find his old kits...
I wanna add that i also ordered the Frazetta Kingdom statue but still waiting for it...be sure that i'm 100% with you TNovak ! i see that even Steve Lord is angry about the result...hope we will find a solution for this...Whatever as soon as i repaint it, i will post photos on the forum !
Have an happy new year !
skullting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullting View Post
Hi, guys...
If you like my job, maybe i can help or work for you (the only problem is that i'm living in France !)...
I wanna add that i also ordered the Frazetta Kingdom statue but still waiting for it...be sure that i'm 100% with you TNovak ! i see that even Steve Lord is angry about the result...hope we will find a solution for this...Whatever as soon as i repaint it, i will post photos on the forum !
Have an happy new year !
Wow! that is nice work too. I guess everybody here is a great model painter except me. Does it take a lot of practice to get that good or do you just have to learn the technique? If you repaint your Dark Kingdom please post pics so I can see. If you want to PM me with prices maybe we can work something out. I should say in advance, however, that I have 5 kids and having just gotten through christmas I may not have any extra cash for a few months.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
darkestkarma
Doh!

Cellar Cast

Steve West is Cellar Cast, but I'm not sure if they are around anymore. I have not tried in awhile. Here is their info:

Cellar Cast
9651 54th Avenue South
Seattle, WA
(206) 723-6801

Best of luck......
darkestkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
cellarcast
Doh!

Hello there,
This is Doug West, Steve West's brother, with Cellar Cast.
Cellar Cast is still in business and going strong.
We are in the process of finishing off our new website also please check out Cellar Cast's Facebook page for more updates on Steve West.
Thanks!
cellarcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Great to see you here Doug

If you are not already a member here is a board for garage kits

www.theclubhouse1.net