Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
NeoCortex
Doh!

Smile Commission Sculpt

This topic may have been covered before regarding commission work, so any help is appreciated.

I am a sculptor getting request to do superhero commission sculpts like batman and wolverine.

Some of these sculpts will get printed one time as an original piece and other sculpts may get printed several times.

My question is, what are the guidelines when creating recognizable figures that are licensed to big studios and companies like Disney, Marvel and DC?

Can these big companies go after individual artist for creating commission work, since they own the image rights to these recognizable characters?

I see sculptors promote their original commission work for characters like batman and superman on YouTube and collectible trade shows all the time.

Would the commission sculpt be considered fan art much like someone drawing an image of batman and selling it.
Any help is appreciated as I am seeking clarity to avoid any legal issues with mega companies.
NeoCortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
stone eagle
Justice League

I would guess there is lots of variables to consider and the only way to know for sure is to contact a lawyer in your country or part of the country you are from. As they say "ignorance of the law is no excuse."
I might guess that a large corporation might not care about a one and done type of art but if you make multiple copies for profit they would probably send a cease and desist letter from their lawyers or could lead to Customs Enforcement or some other agency charging you with copyright infringement.
I would NOT trust postings on the internet chat boards as my legal defense strategy......just my .02 though.
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote