Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I have hounded collectors for artwork before... Persistence actually works but it it'll likely cost you... lol.
Same here! Behavior we collectors share probably haha.

I've gotten decent deals and definitely some that I had to shell out a premium for. Luckily for me, most of my interactions have been pleasant so far.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Same here! Behavior we collectors share probably haha.

I've gotten decent deals and definitely some that I had to shell out a premium for. Luckily for me, most of my interactions have been pleasant so far.
same here

If you treat people with respect and courtesy, they will generally return likewise

I have also been ignored which I take as a clear signal to discontinue engaging on the art

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
IG-64
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Tough call if there has never been a public record of the art existing (CAF, Heritage, etc.). If there is one specific page you are looking for, the art may not exist – could have been thrown away or misplaced, etc. Most 90’s art is out there but most of it was not highly valued at the time unless it is from a very popular series.

You can try and find it quietly but that severely limits your reach as creating awareness is your greatest ally for a hidden piece of art. If you go this route, try and find a collector(s) that clearly collect art that falls in the range of what you are looking for. Reach out and ask if they are aware of the art you are looking for, etc. You have to realize that they may also be chasing the same art and you may tip your hand to a competitor.

I agree with Drew – SPAM all the art sites/groups, etc. online and make it very clear that you are looking for the art. The more you do this, the more likely to get the art to surface. A bit of advice on this method – be willing and ready to spend top $ as going this route will often cause you to be held hostage a bit on price. A popular Micronauts collector has had a ton of success with his quest for art but he also has overpaid for quite a few pages due to his reputation for doing whatever it takes to get the art he wants. He seems to be OK with it as the art means more than the money he has to give up to get it.

Good luck – hopefully we hear a success story.
Any other "public records" out there to check? Comiclink?

Also what are the other groups you guys would recommend "spamming"? Offhand I would think SF, CGC forums? I know there is a FB group for OA out there but for some reason I haven't been accepted on that group yet. Anyone still using Yahoogroups? Reddit?
IG-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG-64 View Post
Any other "public records" out there to check? Comiclink?

Also what are the other groups you guys would recommend "spamming"? Offhand I would think SF, CGC forums? I know there is a FB group for OA out there but for some reason I haven't been accepted on that group yet. Anyone still using Yahoogroups? Reddit?
CGC
CAF post
SF
Yahoo
all the FB groups

Those are all good places to start. Pretty much anywhere that collecting original comic art is discussed IMO. I hadn't heard of a reddit page - if there is one please post.

Why not start here and expand to the other groups?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote