Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

The Frank Cho / Robbi Rodriguez situation

So Frank Cho posted yet another one of his “outrage” pieces today. This one less subtle taking aim towards Robbi. I realize it’s in response to one Robbi’s tweets, but curious what everyone’s take is on these?

Do people view these to be “in good fun” or is there a line that he is crossing - borderline “bullying”?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #2
snappahead
Producer
Producer

No idea what you're talking about.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #3
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Naw, they are great. If any line was crossed it was Robbi making vague threats of violence over a silly drawing. Cho is nailing the ridiculous current state of faux outrage culture with these.

Also funny how Robbi chastised Cho for "dirty drawings" yet has no problem drawing http://cadencecomicart.com/art.php?page=16537 Wolvie full frontal.
Double standards I guess. It's okay when it's males but not females?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
No idea what you're talking about.
Cho made this piece http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...63&GSub=165856 in response to the outrage the Milo cover brought (and subsequently the same group of people rallying to get the Batgirl cover banned, which I think inspired Cho to start doing these). In response Robbi basically tweeted how dare Cho draw "dirty pictures" of the character and that he better hope he doesn't meet him in real life. Cue the usual suspects getting outraged & sending Cho threats, calling for the end of his career, the usual. Cho sold the piece and donated the money to a womens shelter and has been doing similar pieces since.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Outrage culture...exhausting.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ82 View Post
Naw, they are great. If any line was crossed it was Robbi making vague threats of violence over a silly drawing. Cho is nailing the ridiculous current state of faux outrage culture with these.

Also funny how Robbi chastised Cho for "dirty drawings" yet has no problem drawing http://cadencecomicart.com/art.php?page=16537 Wolvie full frontal.
Double standards I guess. It's okay when it's males but not females?

Cho made this piece http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...63&GSub=165856 in response to the outrage the Milo cover brought (and subsequently the same group of people rallying to get the Batgirl cover banned, which I think inspired Cho to start doing these). In response Robbi basically tweeted how dare Cho draw "dirty pictures" of the character and that he better hope he doesn't meet him in real life. Cue the usual suspects getting outraged & sending Cho threats, calling for the end of his career, the usual. Cho sold the piece and donated the money to a womens shelter and has been doing similar pieces since.
Hmm..I was better not having any idea. Sounds very tedious.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

yawn

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

It's getting weird out there. Mark Brooks posted on his facebook how an established artists jumped on his case for no reason that he knows of (it was done in private).
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

I think the initial beef had its arguments on both sides. Robbi's reaction, Franks response....actually brought to light some good conversation about artistic freedom, misogyny, etc. But the way Cho is continually badgering Robbi is totally unnecessary. After the Joker cover response, everything else has seemed redundant and unfunny. By the time the 3rd powergirl cover came out (which I think fine by the way, Frank and his usual brand of humour...the issue is the outrage Spider-gwen in the corner), I started to cringe because it's a joke that's so overused to this point, it's become nauseating.

What also concerns me is how members of the "cheesecake" club have come to Cho's aid, like J Scott calling Robbi a "one-hit wonder" and Cho a legend. I absolutely love Cho's work...love it....he's a guy that I would commission every show if I could, and J Scott....another guy I'd kill to have a commission from, but man, Spider-Gwen is awesome...on top of how cool her design is and how great her stories are, her impact on this new generation of comic readers is amazing and Robbi has a HUGE hand in that. The point is, that Robbi is anything but a "one-hit wonder"....his style is unique and dynamic, his storytelling brilliant, and I don't believe that Spider-Gwen is going to be his last great contribution to the comics industry. I was more bothered by J Scott's comments than anything....the brand of sexuality that J Scott and Cho deliver is fine, as I mentioned before, I love his stuff, but there is a difference between doing a sexy MJ cover for Marvel that sells a million copies and (co) creating a character that has the impact that Gwen has had. As not just art collectors, but as we comic readers, we can't forget that storytelling the basis for this crazy industry....is J Scott a dynamic storyteller? Can Frank create a character that created an entire demographic of new reader? I don't know the answer to those, but what I do know is that it's yes if you ask the same questions, with Robbi's name implanted into both.

I just think it's really easy to side with the "legend" when it comes to these arguments. Robbi spoke out against something he didn't believe was right, something very personal to him. Sure, threatening violence was wrong, but is it any more wrong than the version of cyber-bullying that Cho has done for months now?

All I know is that Robbi did his first commission for me for $30.....and killed it. Put the effort of a $500 piece into it, has been an absolute pleasure to talk to and interact with at cons, and has killed every single commission I've gotten from him over the years. Cho would barely talk to me at the first show I met him at. I've had better experiences with him after that, but that first one still leaves a bit of an ugly taste in my mouth.

I guess, all I'm trying to say is that Robbi doesn't deserve this treatment from Cho, and that no matter what the Chos and the J Scotts of the world say or think, Robbi's going to have a lasting impact on this industry....and for all the right reasons.

Lastly, I completely disagree with you, CJ82, on the topic of the wolverine drawing. Drawing a naked wolverine isn't even close to the blatant sexualization of a teenage character...not even close.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Hmm..I was better not having any idea. Sounds very tedious.
It absolutely is. I wish I could just pretend it didn't happen but I feel bad for all the artists getting slammed and censored for their art and usually (regretting it later) get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
Lastly, I completely disagree with you, CJ82, on the topic of the wolverine drawing. Drawing a naked wolverine isn't even close to the blatant sexualization of a teenage character...not even close.
Then we shall agree to disagree I still think it's a double standard, one that favors women. A fully nude, full frontal drawing of a male is ok, but a fully clothed women in a pose we've seen Spiderman in for decades is outrageous and horrible. I dunno. Both are perfectly fine art to me, I'm not against either (I'd buy the Wolvie one), I'm against the Cho witch hunt, and the shaming of artists who create sexy art.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I have tried to avoid the Spider Gwen drama but I have to ask … what is the big outrage? Sounds like there was a cover that people had an issue with?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote