Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 12-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #851
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

Details,finish,paintjob,weathering,authenticity are as good as you can expect for a high end,movie accurate collectible.Imho Chronicle & Toynami did a fantastic job.
I love mine and if you're a Robocop über-fan go for it,especially when you can get it for $899. But in all honesty it is priced way too high ($1200) for basically a 1/6 scale robot.When I compare it to my Weta D9 exo suit which was less than half the price,which has a very similar high quality of craftmanship and pedigree of authenticity then I'd say think twice before you commit yourself to purchase ...unless money isn't an issue or you're a huge Robocop fan.
To be clear I'm from Europe and I paid 475 euros for the exo suit and ED-209 puppets are selling overhere for +1500 euros(shop prices).Luckily I got a relatively good deal for my ED at 1200,- euros.
Hope this helps.
Phil the sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #852
Chronicle CS
Chronicle Collectibles
Producer

I wish we had made the D9, big solid chunks of resin with an easy paint job. I have one and there really is no comparison between the D9 and Cain or ED.

Cain is 280 individual parts and ED-209 is 100 pieces.

When I spoke with Richard Taylor at Comic Con I asked if he had gotten his Ed and Cain. He did and in his office that he shares with David, they have our two pieces on display, they are the only products made by another company on display.

We use Universal approved factories and Toynami is hands down the best in the industry.

I'm very proud of Cain and Ed-209 even if they weren't our best selling pieces.
Chronicle CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #853
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

And you should be very proud indeed Paul!ED & Cain are amazing in every single way.
But I couldn't agree less with your assessment that there's no comparison between ED & the exo suit.Not true in my reality.Those chunks of resin you're talking about are incredibly detailed,have been developped by the creator of the D9 guns & exo suit Greg Broadmore and have a top notch paintjob and realistic weathering effect.Weta's factory pulled off something fantastic just like Toynami did with ED & Cain.
You're talking about the many individual parts of ED & Cain...OK,but are you telling me that every single ED & Cain have been produced like that,with all these individual parts and assembled just like the original ones?My understanding is that Toynami casted 'big chunks' of resin aswell once larger pieces such as arms & legs f.e. were assembled.
If you're telling me that my chronicle ED I have on display is actually assembled the same way as the original ED and built up with all those individual parts (100 pieces) then I'll eat my words...
Old 12-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #854
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle CS View Post
I wish we had made the D9, big solid chunks of resin with an easy paint job. I have one and there really is no comparison between the D9 and Cain or ED.

Cain is 280 individual parts and ED-209 is 100 pieces.

When I spoke with Richard Taylor at Comic Con I asked if he had gotten his Ed and Cain. He did and in his office that he shares with David, they have our two pieces on display, they are the only products made by another company on display.

We use Universal approved factories and Toynami is hands down the best in the industry.

I'm very proud of Cain and Ed-209 even if they weren't our best selling pieces.
Just out of curiosity Paul, what have been your best selling pieces so far?
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #855
CAIN MKII
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I have the D9 and ED-209 in my collection too.
IMHO there is no way you could compare them.

-ED-209 is more massive than the exo suit.

-exo suit was manufactured from the 3D model used in the movie, easier to replicate unlike ED-209 which needed to be cast , piece by piece, from the stop motion puppet (the real thing) by Tippett studio to produce the mold master.

-ED-209 comes from a way more popular (expensive) licence than D9 (and god know I love D9), is approved and signed by Phil Tippett himself.
They don't play in the same league at all.

-exo suit was directly produced by WETA, who made the FX, for ED-209 you need to get the licence from 20th century fox, get approved and all.

-exo suit paint job just sucks, it isn't even screen accurate. It is just plain black with some crude weathering and the orange markings are absolutly disappointing. I had to collect a lot of refence materials and screen caps to repaint it.
ED-209 is one of the very few collectibles I didn't have to repaint at all. Perfect match right out of the box.

-poor casting of the exo flooded details, specialy in the arms area.

Don't get me wrong, I love these 2 statues, they are among my top ten favourite pieces, but in no way I would compare them in terms of quality and price.
CAIN MKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #856
Phil the sixth
Nightwing

You have some good points Cain MKII and I can see now where a big chunk of the money of those puppets went.But I don't agree with you regarding the quality of the exo suit,at all....I'm sorry but are you kidding me when you say that the pj sucks and the casting of all those small elements as for example those llittle tubes on the guns,arms ,etc.You must surely be looking at something else?Also those orange & white markings are well executed imo.
Paintjob,weathering & details on my exo suit specimen are as good as it gets for a mass produced item.(in my perception)To me both are equally impressive. I view both as high end collectibles and among the very best in that small scale range.On top of that the exo suit is very heavy for such a small collectible (full resin) while ED-209 is light as a feather (without the base; hollow cast)...not that weight is a great deal for most(at least not for me) but there's a big difference in that regard.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #857
Chronicle CS
Chronicle Collectibles
Producer

The argument if it's heavy means it's worth more. No that means it's not as well engineered and cheaply made using polystone resin.

I don't want to talk bad about my Exosuit, but it's casting is rough the paint is just a weathered wash over black, it's a great piece and I love mine, but the amount of engineering that went into ED is far superior.

Also the exosuit was designed to be a statue, meaning it was printed at size for resin production.

ED-209 was cast from over 100 pieces and yes there are sub assemblies, but it's elegant in a running and gunning pose. Would I have been happier with a boardroom pose, sure, easy as pie, but it's not interesting. While the Exosuit is one of the few statues I own, it's just sitting there. I want our pieces to try to capture an image from the film or tell a story.

We also injection molded the guns and a lot of the detail parts. Making metal molds for a statue is unheard of, it adds tens of thousands of dollars to the cost. Those little canisters on mine are rough, not uniform and not glued on straight.

We also use Universal/ Disney approved factories. The water must be purified in and out of the factory, harsher labor laws, no child workers, probably the best you can get for China. Other companies have their products bootlegged out the back door of the factory on ebay before they ship their products.

I'm nots saying this to be arrogant, but if you compare my products to another company, be prepared to back it up. The Exosuit is nice, but it's no ED-209.

Last edited by Chronicle CS; 12-12-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #858
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

And ED 209 is no Cain.
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #859
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

So how many EDs are left now after Black Friday?

I honestly thought both Cain and ED209 would've sold out considering the payment plan option.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #860
Chronicle CS
Chronicle Collectibles
Producer

Indeed, Cain will be one of the most difficult pieces Toynami has ever produced.

I haven't gotten a recent sales report, but we have Cain and Ed left....