Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 07-31-2017, 03:11 AM   #1
Das Brutah
The Avengers

Are current sculpts hand made or from 3D modeling

I am curious how many of the current sculptures coming out now are being designed and built by hand versus being built using 3D modeling tools like Zbrush?

I know some sculptures have made the transition to 3D.
Can anyone who has switched to using 3D tools as their primary method of creation provide details on why they made the switch and the pros and cons. I have been experimenting with clay (nothing I care to share out of sheer embarrassment...). I am wondering if I should spend my efforts learning the use of 3D instead...

Please share thoughts and experiences.

Thanks
Das Brutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
xya
Doh!

There's new tech coming where you can sculpt in VR. It's already functional but obviously still very new, and the equipment is still very expensive, but I think it's going to be a more intuitive transition for traditional sculptors than switching to zbrush with a tablet once the software gets better and the hardware gets cheaper. So I think at this point just pick whichever you like, you won't get left behind by technological advances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf8sKAuzR0k
xya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Das Brutah
The Avengers

Ive played around with Oculus Medium. There is a lot of great work going on in the area of visualization in all mediums. Cool stuff. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Brutah View Post
I am curious how many of the current sculptures coming out now are being designed and built by hand versus being built using 3D modeling tools like Zbrush?

Can anyone who has switched to using 3D tools as their primary method of creation provide details on why they made the switch and the pros and cons. I have been experimenting with clay (nothing I care to share out of sheer embarrassment...). I am wondering if I should spend my efforts learning the use of 3D instead...

Thanks
I only worked with Super sculpy for a short time and I did have some success with it but not to the measure I was hoping. I switched to Zbrush about a year ago almost. I like it for a few reasons But there are cons

Pro - and the most important thing, I have big hands and fingers. Not exactly the best thing for handling small sculptures. Even with tools it's difficult to navigate the sculpt sometimes. Zbrush gets rid of all of that. I can zoom in and work as finely as I like without worring about messing up the rest of the sculpt or wearing magnifying glasses.

Pro - While Zbrush is expensive, you buy it once, with clay and sculpey you're buying tools and clay and solvents and armature wire all the time. It get's rid of the need for supplies.

Con - The interface is pretty huge and can be daunting. Learning it takes time and a lot of hours of looking up what everything does or what is best to use and when. There are literally hundreds of tools and brushes. So much so that it can be overwhelming when trying to find something specific.

Con - You're going to need a good PC and a lot of memory to run it. I honestly don't recommend anything below 12gb of RAM. It's a huge program and when you're working on intricate sculpts the last thing you want is a slow down or a crash.

Pro - Of course like any program it gives you the freedom to try something and if it doesn't work ctrl-z and it's erased. You can't do that with hand sculpting. So it does liberate you a bit when it comes to playing with ideas. You can also save any time, so if you go to far in one direction, open your last save and start from there.

Con - There are certain looks that can only be done with hand sculpting. That worked on look, if you know what I mean. So if that is important to your aesthetic, you may want to think about staying with Hand sculpting.

In any case, I love Zbrush and I haven't looked back. Hope this helps.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Das Brutah
The Avengers

Thanks for detailed info on pros and cons.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #6
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Brutah View Post

Thanks
I think a lot of it is being moved to 3D printing, it's why the face sculpts have gotten so good. And yes most statues are rendered on the computer first. Other ones use molds, it's why you sometimes see no gap between the legs on smaller statues when the legs are close together.
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote