Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-13-2020, 02:14 AM   #1
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Has an artist ever turned you off during any stage of your commission talk?

I'm talking to an artist that I've been following for years whose art has always been really cool in my eyes. And I finally saved up enough cash to approach him to get a piece, and I don't know... it's like he's not reading my emails or understanding simple ideas, and I'm getting really uncomfortable. I'm starting to think that even if I get the guy to understand what I'm asking now, that it'll be an even bigger hassle to talk to him about the commission layout I want later on.

So, the guy is a DeviantArt/eBay/Instagram artist that's been around for multiple years and who does cool stuff, so it's not like he's hard to get something from. And he's also not expensive, which makes him that much more desirable. But basic questions aren't being answered at this early stage, and the guy is kinda putting it on me to be more clear - and I don't know how. Specifically, I have other comic board sized art that I'd like him to match the size of (typically 13x17), but he doesn't have those sized papers. He does have 9x12 papers, so I asked if he'd be willing to do a double-page splash and draw an image across two of those papers that would then have an overall size of 12x18 (with me paying him as if he were doing two commissions for me since he's using two papers - like a double-page splash). But this concept is completely lost on him, and he's emailing me saying I need to tell him if I want a small or a large commission and to think about what I want before I get back to him when I've decided... (huh?)

If anything, these replies are making me want to (unfortunately) back out of even talking to the guy just because he can't answer basic paper questions which makes me fearful about what the eventual layout discussion of this commission might end up being like =/

I dunno... has anyone here ever wanted art from someone, but then the artist said weird things that really made you question pushing ahead for a commission instead of just dropping it?
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Mean Green
Fantomah

Commissions are a gamble already with the uncertainty of how artists interpret your vision and whether they create something to the level of your expectations. It sounds like you're seeing red flags (possible miscommunication in this case) so if I were in your shoes, I'd likely step back as well.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

If it's already this much of a hassle, that's terrifying to me. I would walk away. And I'm not even a person who is OCD about my art. I give a size, the character and maybe a suit design (Storm/Catwoman). It's not a language barrier is it?

13x17 is an odd size...is that a European paper like A2 etc?

Would you tell us who the artist is? I want to see their stuff
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Turned off by an artist? Oh goodness -- sadly, more often than not. If it isn't ego or rudeness or reluctance to even hear your concept, or their unrealistic liberal politics which they blast all over FB like they're a prophet, or their endless lame excuses for missing deadlines or their 180 attitude to replying to emails after cash has been sent... Whenever possible, I try to buy artwork already completed so I can avoid the BS. While I have no real issue owning artwork from people I think are, well, not necessarily folks I would be friends with, I try to draw the line at kissassery and gross sense of entitlement.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

It comes with buying commission art. If they don't have a rep, you have to work with the artist and any idiosyncrasies they may have. Many artists are great at creating art but not always at other things like communications, organization, etc.

You have to decide to roll the dice or not. It sounds like you really like their work and they have a low price. If it were me, I would probably go for it as the cost would not really be a factor.

Another thing I find is not to try and "over art direct" the piece as that turns some artists off and they may not want to do a piece.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out and you just have to trust your gut and your expense/risk of a bad piece tolerance level.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

My best commission experience: Bruce Timm. The consummate professional. He let me ask for what I wanted and surpassed my expectations.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
I'm talking to an artist that I've been following for years whose art has always been really cool in my eyes. And I finally saved up enough cash to approach him to get a piece, and I don't know... it's like he's not reading my emails or understanding simple ideas, and I'm getting really uncomfortable. I'm starting to think that even if I get the guy to understand what I'm asking now, that it'll be an even bigger hassle to talk to him about the commission layout I want later on.

So, the guy is a DeviantArt/eBay/Instagram artist that's been around for multiple years and who does cool stuff, so it's not like he's hard to get something from. And he's also not expensive, which makes him that much more desirable. But basic questions aren't being answered at this early stage, and the guy is kinda putting it on me to be more clear - and I don't know how. Specifically, I have other comic board sized art that I'd like him to match the size of (typically 13x17), but he doesn't have those sized papers. He does have 9x12 papers, so I asked if he'd be willing to do a double-page splash and draw an image across two of those papers that would then have an overall size of 12x18 (with me paying him as if he were doing two commissions for me since he's using two papers - like a double-page splash). But this concept is completely lost on him, and he's emailing me saying I need to tell him if I want a small or a large commission and to think about what I want before I get back to him when I've decided... (huh?)

If anything, these replies are making me want to (unfortunately) back out of even talking to the guy just because he can't answer basic paper questions which makes me fearful about what the eventual layout discussion of this commission might end up being like =/

I dunno... has anyone here ever wanted art from someone, but then the artist said weird things that really made you question pushing ahead for a commission instead of just dropping it?
I don't mention it, but I had a really poor commission experience with a higher profile artist. Still my most expensive commission and communication broke down, and then didn't respond for a long time. I think they were shifting from pop art to formal art and din't really want to do comic book characters anymore, but had taken the money so felt annoyed and obligated with me. I considered cancelling as was clear was not a pleasant interaction. After hearing nothing for a long time (nearly a year) I assumed I had been swindled when it arrived and I wasn't happy with it so never shared it anywhere.

As an experiment I keep it in a portfolio and when people go through I ask them what their favourite piece is and then which one do they think was the most expensive. That commission never gets picked for either.

On the flip side I have had dozens of excellent commission experiences. Generally for lesser known or mid level artists who communicate and are earnest to please. I definitely need to feel good about an artist, do something simple maybe and build a relationship before I'll drop ton of money on a commission piece ever again. Case in point, Daniele Torres has become one of my favourtie artists and I've commissioned her several times and bought a ton of art from her. Always prompt, responsive, kind, and nails what i wanted every time.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I'd say just walk away from it now. if it's already such a struggle, it'll only continue the same path.

I think if you're already questioning whether or not you should back out, the answer is generally yes.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Turned off by an artist? Oh goodness -- sadly, more often than not. If it isn't ego or rudeness or reluctance to even hear your concept, or their unrealistic liberal politics which they blast all over FB like they're a prophet, or their endless lame excuses for missing deadlines or their 360 attitude to replying to emails after cash has been sent... Whenever possible, I try to buy artwork already completed so I can avoid the BS. While I have no real issue owning artwork from people I think are, well, not necessarily folks I would be friends with, but I try to draw the line at kissassery and gross sense of entitlement.
360 means they're the same wonderful human being as they were before getting your dough

But in all seriousness, I agree. I also don't mind owning art from people I wouldn't necessarily be friends with but I am oftentimes a repeat customer and huge advocate for the artists whose art is as amazing as they are friendly.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yea, I think I'll step away. Thanks of the replies everyone =)
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote