Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #11
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
LMAO..glad we now have a place to discuss..

I watched the first 3 episodes and I really am enjoying it a lot..there is a lot of fan service in those episodes..
Love the old corny jokes here and there.
I got a little weirded out when Merman sounded like Batman, lol.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
Thor57
Teen Titans

Okay, thoughts:

Great:

The voice acting is top notch. Everyone really nailed their roles.

Good:

Its a beautiful show. The art direction other than Skelegod at the end really looked great. I really didnt care for his design.

This was indeed more Teela centric, but it is in no way woke or disrespectful to others. Duncan, Okro and Evil Lyn all got some quality growth. Not sure what the point of the new character was other than someone for Teela to bounce old He-Man tales off of to so he could at least be in the show lol.

I really dug Lyn being somewhat of a surrogate mother figure to Teela giving her the hard truths she needed to hear, while also jabbing at her about her crush on He-Man she seemed to be trying to hide with her anger about not being in on the secret.

Bad:

This isnt necessarily bad, but more of a question mark with two possible outcomes. But, frankly, there isnt enough He-Man. I know he isnt in the title, which was a clever out for Smith and company when they inevitably get criticized for it. But to the fans credit, they 100% sold this as a He-Man vehicle, used his image and his character as the hook, and then removed him immediately. I say its a wait and see because I do know there is a second part here. But if its 5 episodes of Adam still not being He-Man until the 10th episode, well, then its gonna get a total fail for me. But, if he is He-Man again within episode 6 or 7, then its a solid arc. But I maintain, ultimately this show exists because of He-Man and he has to come full circle.

The show didnt seem to know what it wanted to be. They'll kill characters, use low key sexual references, but at the same time keep with the 80's style quips. That screamed of a conflict, probably very low key, with Netflix wanting somewhat of an adult theme while Mattel held strong to this still being a toy selling vehicle geared towards children.

Finally, Kevin Smith. He did lie. He did mislead his fans, which is a shame. There was an easy way to deflect and still put this story out without outright attacking those that simply said "Hey, this isnt a He-Man story, its a Teela story." He could have said its a story of both of them, and their relationship, with more to come. I cant say more, you'll have to tune in! Instead of said things like "Nope! There's plenty of He-Man! This is still all about He-Man and he'll be the focus." That just simply wasnt true, better or worse.

So its a solid show, with a cliffhanger that depending on what happens next could kill any good will left, or make the 5 episodes we got so far worth it. We'll see.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #13
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
I binged all 5 before bed and really enjoyed it. Not much to complain about on my end. I was irked by the theme of romantic partners or interests being referred to as "best friends" by the characters. We can show a few people getting run through by a sword, but having to still use code for romantic statuses was very weird.

Again, small gripe I can look past. I look forward to watching them all again soon.
Which are you referring to? I admittedly was doing some stuff in the background a few times during some episodes so I may have missed something. Who was a romantic interest that was instead referred to as best friends?
Old 07-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #14
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Loved the first episode, but this whole thing was a crappy bait/switch by Netflix/Smith.

Just call it "Teela and the Masters of the Universe" or just give her a spin-off series.

Had they relaunched She-ra, benched her and let Bo take the spotlight, I guarantee there would be complete outrage.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #15
SDguy

Quote:
Creators are people and nobody's perfect. You should actually watch the show and judge it on its own merits. I watched it and greatly enjoyed it. You might watch it and feel differently. But at least watch and make an informed opinion on the work itself.
It's all queued up for tonight. Can't wait! Glad you enjoyed it!
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #16
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Which are you referring to? I admittedly was doing some stuff in the background a few times during some episodes so I may have missed something. Who was a romantic interest that was instead referred to as best friends?
Teela is strongly implied to have a relationship with Andra along with romantic feelings for Adam/He-Man. Most of these were very light and alluded to in the earlier episodes and around episode 5.

Lyn's journey strongly shows her feelings and rough relationship with Skeletor. She flat out says a few things... one was something about devoting her life to a man who is more focused on his ambitions. And in another episode she says something to the effect of them being good friends.

Duncan and Sorceress has been handled a bit better. For story reasons, I get why they're playing coy with that one. But it was nice to see the outright concern for her well being Duncan showed in the first episode. There were other hints sprinkled in the others.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #17
AlexLothos

Since this is a spoilers thread, I guess I can mention a few other tidbits...

It was nice to see Marlena actually revealing that she knew Adam was He-man the whole time. It's something we always suspected in the Filmation and MYP versions.

On the flip side, Randor is such a dick in this version. He seems to change in each new version... the best was MYP and this version is his worst.

This could possibly be my favorite version of Orko. It uses the best bits of the previous incarnations well.

I love Tri-Clops's techno-cult. I just wish his design was more interesting.

I was surprised by Beast Man's devotion to Lyn. Unexpected, but very well done for the story.

Andra really rocks. She balances out the rest of the cast well, especially Teela. That said, she seems much younger than Teela... I had personally hoped they'd be around the same age. I haven't heard anything about Andra's previous service in the Guard (maybe I missed it?).

PreTernia Sorceress's dialogue was a funny running gag. But it's implied she's one of the previous heroes of He? Nothing showed she's the wife of Grayskull. Also nothing was brought up about He-Ro being their son.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #18
AlexLothos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it, too!
Old 07-23-2021, 04:47 PM   #19
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Same, great minds!
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #20
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Teela is strongly implied to have a relationship with Andra along with romantic feelings for Adam/He-Man. Most of these were very light and alluded to in the earlier episodes and around episode 5.

Lyn's journey strongly shows her feelings and rough relationship with Skeletor. She flat out says a few things... one was something about devoting her life to a man who is more focused on his ambitions. And in another episode she says something to the effect of them being good friends.

Duncan and Sorceress has been handled a bit better. For story reasons, I get why they're playing coy with that one. But it was nice to see the outright concern for her well being Duncan showed in the first episode. There were other hints sprinkled in the others.
Ohhh, yeah, I caught all that, so I didnt miss anything. I just didnt feel they were trying to hide it as much as you feel I suppose. I actually thought it was a clever thing the writers did. They left it so ambiguous and unassuming, yet with subtle hints that if you're in the Teela is a lesbian and this is her g/f camp, sure, why not? There were things there that could support your reasoning. If you are in the Teela was and still is in love with He-Man camp, well, there was a lot there to support that rhetoric as well. They were very sly with leaving it open for everyone to kind of take their favored scenario and live it. Of course it will lead to fighting on the internet because its the internet. But Evil Lyn's "You're still holding onto something could have meant a secret relationship or a secret crush on him. Could work either way.

Quote:
Since this is a spoilers thread, I guess I can mention a few other tidbits...

It was nice to see Marlena actually revealing that she knew Adam was He-man the whole time. It's something we always suspected in the Filmation and MYP versions.

On the flip side, Randor is such a dick in this version. He seems to change in each new version... the best was MYP and this version is his worst.

This could possibly be my favorite version of Orko. It uses the best bits of the previous incarnations well.

I love Tri-Clops's techno-cult. I just wish his design was more interesting.

I was surprised by Beast Man's devotion to Lyn. Unexpected, but very well done for the story.

Andra really rocks. She balances out the rest of the cast well, especially Teela. That said, she seems much younger than Teela... I had personally hoped they'd be around the same age. I haven't heard anything about Andra's previous service in the Guard (maybe I missed it?).

PreTernia Sorceress's dialogue was a funny running gag. But it's implied she's one of the previous heroes of He? Nothing showed she's the wife of Grayskull. Also nothing was brought up about He-Ro being their son.
Marlena all but reveals she knows Adam's secret in the Filmation cartoon too. When he asks her a question regarding being rescued and how she knew she'd be saved, she says slyly "A mother always knows her son." She knew the whole time. Agreed on Randor and Orko. Much preferred Randor in the MYP series.

I agree I like the cult aspect as well. It really kind of picks up flavor from the MYP where Tri-Clops was always a bit of loner, even when he was with the Snake Mountain crew. I dont know how I feel about Trapjaw being a part of it though. He was always one of Skeletor's OG henchmen with Beastman and Lyn.

As for Andra. I think her age was a tool to be used to push certain aspects of the stories. Like Teela regaling her with past stories of He-Man like the Snake Mountain rescue or the pirate ship flashbacks. Andra being so young would know of He-Man's legend, but wouldnt really know more about him other than that. She was a good outlet for Teela to recall on fond memories. It serves multiple purposes in and out of the story. In the story it gives Teela a healthy outlet to mourn and heal with retelling what she fondly remembers. It gives us, the audience, an opportunity to actually engage with who the show is supposed to be about. Her youth was also a convenient way to have the champions of Grayskull held in an almost godlike light. She'd only known them through stories so to her, they were one and the same as He-Man. Kind of relays to the audience that all of the champions were as important in their own time.