Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Another benefit of paying for your own shipping...

On another thread, there was talk about the benefits of buyers handling their own shipping. Recently, I bought an item valued at over $500. The seller wanted to charge me $125 shipping for an item which actually only cost $67 to ship. Thankfully, the seller let me take care of the shipping from my end through my FedEx account. Sadly, the item shipped with some minor damage (it happens). Fortunately, I insured the item.

FedEx reps came over, picked up the item, made their damage claim evaluation, and within 48 hours, I was awarded the total insurance money plus all shipping costs. I also got to keep the $500 item for free.

As buyers, we generally pay for the insurance. We should have the opportunity to keep the damaged item as opposed to the seller who didn't pay a dime in insurance. While I realize there are circumstances where this might not turn out as favorably for buyers (as there is some risk of dealing with someone shady), buyers should still have the option to keep the piece as they paid for the insurance. On more than one occasion over the years, I have seen sellers sell returned-damaged items for extra cash when the piece should have gone to the buyer.

P.S. Had FedEx not ruled in my favor due to poor packaging, I would opened a PayPal claim and received my money back that way. However, I would have had to pay for return shipping -- which blows, especially when it's not your fault.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
You, Sir, are a very smart man!
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
On another thread, there was talk about the benefits of buyers handling their own shipping. Recently, I bought an item valued at over $500. The seller wanted to charge me $125 shipping for an item which actually only cost $67 to ship. Thankfully, the seller let me take care of the shipping from my end through my FedEx account. Sadly, the item shipped with some minor damage (it happens). Fortunately, I insured the item.

FedEx reps came over, picked up the item, made their damage claim evaluation, and within 48 hours, I was awarded the total insurance money plus all shipping costs. I also got to keep the $500 item for free.

As buyers, we generally pay for the insurance. We should have the opportunity to keep the damaged item as opposed to the seller who didn't pay a dime in insurance. While I realize there are circumstances where this might not turn out as favorably for buyers (as there is some risk of dealing with someone shady), buyers should still have the option to keep the piece as they paid for the insurance. On more than one occasion over the years, I have seen sellers sell returned-damaged items for extra cash when the piece should have gone to the buyer.

P.S. Had FedEx not ruled in my favor due to poor packaging, I would opened a PayPal claim and received my money back that way. However, I would have had to pay for return shipping -- which blows, especially when it's not your fault.
Are you sure all the shipping companies let you keep the broken statue and the refunded money? I always thought the post office and ups took the damaged item if they rewarded you the money. Then took the damaged item and auctioned it off to recoup the cost... Thats great that you got the money and the item...What was it that came broken? and was it something that can be fixed? or is it shattered to a million pieces.
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post
Are you sure all the shipping companies let you keep the broken statue and the refunded money? I always thought the post office and ups took the damaged item if they rewarded you the money. Then took the damaged item and auctioned it off to recoup the cost... Thats great that you got the money and the item...What was it that came broken? and was it something that can be fixed? or is it shattered to a million pieces.

I can only speak for FedEx as that is the shipping company I use. Can the item be fixed? Unless something arrives with missing pieces, I suppose just about anything can be fixed. I already made most of the repairs myself. What's left are some paint touch ups. Almost all the damage was in one area.

However, as we all know, a repaired item isn't worth anywhere near as much as a new item, which is what I was expecting. I certainly would not have purchased this piece at the price I paid in the state in which it arrived. My damage claim was very much justified. The FedEx boys weren't gentle with this piece during transit. I would have been happy with just getting my money back. Keeping the damaged piece was a nice perk.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I can only speak for FedEx as that is the shipping company I use. Can the item be fixed? Unless something arrives with missing pieces, I suppose just about anything can be fixed. I already made most of the repairs myself. What's left are some paint touch ups. Almost all the damage was in one area.

However, as we all know, a repaired item isn't worth anywhere near as much as a new item, which is what I was expecting. I certainly would not have purchased this piece at the price I paid in the state in which it arrived. My damage claim was very much justified. The FedEx boys weren't gentle with this piece during transit. I would have been happy with just getting my money back. Keeping the damaged piece was a nice perk.
Yeah thats the problem, its a total gamble if you are getting a fedex/usps/ups person whose going to treat your package well or one that is going to totally trash it for kicks....
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote