Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-22-2024, 03:08 PM   #441
KiDD
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
Ya I agree it isn't as bad as folks make it out to be on here.

Hating on SS is easy because they been around so long, and there 1/4th dominance. People like to doom on SS but they are still holding strong even with lower ES, but so is everyone else. SS still has there distribution to keep profit coming in, while the others don't.
I mean most of the more negative comments are just (IMO well deserved) critique, not everything has to be a war of the fandoms.

I don't like the piece as there are just so many far better options, for example the upcoming 1/4 Hush Batman from P1. It just feels like SS is going nowhere with their more recent Batmen (with the exception of their DKR).

Yes it's all subjective and no I'm not hating on SS as a company. Love their new Wolverine.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:55 AM   #442
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post
I mean most of the more negative comments are just (IMO well deserved) critique, not everything has to be a war of the fandoms.

I don't like the piece as there are just so many far better options, for example the upcoming 1/4 Hush Batman from P1. It just feels like SS is going nowhere with their more recent Batmen (with the exception of their DKR).

Yes it's all subjective and no I'm not hating on SS as a company. Love their new Wolverine.
Well you would be in the minority. Many of the celebrated SS bashers are having a field day and proclaiming SS doom. As if there were a shortage of Batman Statues out there that you were just waiting for this one.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:22 PM   #443
qz33
Doctor Doom

Sideshow takes artistic risks. Sometimes a majority like them sometimes not. Just like with their DKR piece. Prime 1 made BKR stuff but nothing as artistically conceptual as Sideshow's DKR lightning bolt.

It is okay there will be more Batman. Sideshow does not have to strive to go anywhere. None of their peers are going to ever be true competitors.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:28 PM   #444
Mister H
Youngblood

Straight up hating is one thing, real criticism is something else. SS gets major points for some of the pieces they've been putting out lately but they need to hear when they seem to be regressing as with this Batman PF. As I've said before, I have Prime 1 to thank for producing great 1/4 scale Batman statues so this one from SS is no skin off my teeth. They will make a Batman one day that I will get I'm sure.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:27 PM   #445
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

To those who like to categorise everything in terms of lovers and haters, winners and losers, etc. Let me assure you there are no SSC haters here, just a group of disappointed fans.

I've been a fan of SSC for many years. I still like many of their pieces. However, they have been a source of disappointment in some of their recent statues such as this Batman.

I've been quietly and patiently waiting for more than a decade for them to do an Alex Ross Batman and Superman, but it has gotten me nowhere. They have all the opportunity to do so but they choose not to.

In the end, their competitor has stepped up and fulfilled the wishes of the fans and produced a glorious Ross Superman statue. SSC has been left behind. They only have themselves to blame.

There is a fine difference between hating (or bashing) and criticising. One really shouldn't be throwing those words around if one doesn't have a full understanding of the meaning of those words, IMO.
Hobbyist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:28 PM   #446
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post

Hobbyist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:55 PM   #447
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

I don’t think I was hating on Sideshow at all. All I said is that they have a different approach from many others in this industry. Where they are very statue artist focused, rather than focused to a specific source material.

As I said, either option can work (love the Deadly Nature Poison Ivy), but obviously Sideshow’s is more prone to critiques because of the many liberties they take with the source material.

Though in relation to listening to critiques, the only company imo at a similar level is ironically JND (as they supposedly focus very much on the source material). But both companies strongly believe in defending the choices made by their in-house artists and art directors, who they both heavily promote. Whereas for others like Prime 1, Iron Studios, Infinity, Queen and others, they rarely ever promote a specific statue Artist.

It’s just a different approach is all. For Sideshow, it’s their artists that are the face of their business, whereas for others the company itself is the brand.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:39 PM   #448
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
To those who like to categorise everything in terms of lovers and haters, winners and losers, etc. Let me assure you there are no SSC haters here, just a group of disappointed fans.

I've been a fan of SSC for many years. I still like many of their pieces. However, they have been a source of disappointment in some of their recent statues such as this Batman.

I've been quietly and patiently waiting for more than a decade for them to do an Alex Ross Batman and Superman, but it has gotten me nowhere. They have all the opportunity to do so but they choose not to.

In the end, their competitor has stepped up and fulfilled the wishes of the fans and produced a glorious Ross Superman statue. SSC has been left behind. They only have themselves to blame.

There is a fine difference between hating (or bashing) and criticising. One really shouldn't be throwing those words around if one doesn't have a full understanding of the meaning of those words, IMO.
Not too great with the reading comprehension then if you are skimming past the SSC haters spewing their vitriol in this thread. They had to pick this one, because many of the others are so well received it would just fall on deaf ears. They love it when there is a piece they can pile on about.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:24 PM   #449
ilsensine
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Not too great with the reading comprehension then if you are skimming past the SSC haters spewing their vitriol in this thread. They had to pick this one, because many of the others are so well received it would just fall on deaf ears. They love it when there is a piece they can pile on about.
There might be some mindless "haters", but there are definitely also mindless "praisers", so it evens out. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Though I personally do agree that of the statutes SS has put out in the last year that I was interested in and might have bought, every single one of them had some awful thing I couldn't get over, like bizarre anatomy choice (think triple sized biceps or tiny heads/no necks) or just irredeemably odd pose. That's not being a "hater," that's just being... disappointed.
ilsensine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:38 PM   #450
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

No statue is perfect. But in the past few months, I’ve preordered more of their statues than in the preceding few years.

Including their new Batgirl, Spider-Man (though I’m a bit iffy on this one), Fastball Special and also their new Wolverine.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote