Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 10-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #41
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post

Ths same thing occurred with Dave Gibbons where he asked if I could arrange for some pre-show commissions for the Supanova shows. He charged around $600.00 for pencil and $850 for inked pieces. However, this was a one-off opportunity because if you arranged for a commission through his art dealer (whom I know fairly well), it would be 2 or 3 times as much for a commission.
$850 for an inked Gibbons why wasnt I coming to this board months ago lol
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #42
Royd
Producer
Producer

For future Supanovas, if there's a particular artist whom you're interested in obtaining a sketch/commission from, get in touch with me because I always ask them if they're taking pre-show requests.

I did ask Leinil but he said he was just too busy with work to take any pre-show requests. Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
$850 for an inked Gibbons why wasnt I coming to this board months ago lol
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #43
lordrycon

Would you consider inviting Russ Braun to an Australian con? I love his work in The Boys, Battlefield, Red Team, Jack of Fables etc etc.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #44
Royd
Producer
Producer

Possibly for a future show but I'm presently working my way through a number of comics creators (many of whom have been in the industry for many years with strong followings) whom I believe will persuade numbers of fans to come to the shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
Would you consider inviting Russ Braun to an Australian con? I love his work in The Boys, Battlefield, Red Team, Jack of Fables etc etc.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #45
halfthai
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Royd, sorry to seem like a whinger, pretty happy all the comic talent at the the show. Leinil Yu, John Higgins, Colin Wilson and Duncan Rouleau are all winners. In a strange way, Peter Dinklage dropping out probably helped to justify pay Yu's rates, besides I have been a fan of his for ages and missed out on getting something at SDCC (2009?), so feels like no reason to not pull the trigger here if the chance arises.

lordrycon, I'm currently only getting pieces in a themed sketchbook and buying published art to keep my art collecting "in check", but pre-cons are definitely the best way to get "the best" from most artists. I would definitely be interested but it's a slippery slope...
halfthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #46
Royd
Producer
Producer

No problem, I didn't think anyone was coming across as a whinger - pricing is something we all have to consider when we arrange con sketches and commissions and sometimes the price charged can seem puzzling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfthai View Post
Royd, sorry to seem like a whinger, pretty happy all the comic talent at the the show. Leinil Yu, John Higgins, Colin Wilson and Duncan Rouleau are all winners. In a strange way, Peter Dinklage dropping out probably helped to justify pay Yu's rates, besides I have been a fan of his for ages and missed out on getting something at SDCC (2009?), so feels like no reason to not pull the trigger here if the chance arises.

lordrycon, I'm currently only getting pieces in a themed sketchbook and buying published art to keep my art collecting "in check", but pre-cons are definitely the best way to get "the best" from most artists. I would definitely be interested but it's a slippery slope...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
lordrycon

Just a random collection question for you guys on here...

When you commission a sketch, do you have a favourite character that you request from everybody or do you request something different that may be unique and represent that person as an artist.

e.g. Phil Jimenez Wonder Woman or Herb Trimpe Wolverine etc etc.

As much as I am a huge Magneto fan, I tend to either go with something I think defines the artist, or something kooky all together (like Nicola Scott drawing The Tick!)
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #48
Royd
Producer
Producer

Generally speaking, I'll request a Shanna the She-Devil piece for my Shanna-themed CAF gallery which has been going for some years now.

However, there has been the "odd" occasion where I wanted to make sure the artist was comfortable with the character choice without having to refer heavily on reference so I chose a character they'd illustrated previously - eg. I asked Travis Charest for a Voodoo piece since he'd drawn her in WildCATs.

If it's a commission where the artist has plenty of time, then I'll stick with Shanna Here's my latest Shanna commission from Lucasfilm poster artist, Mark Raats which he kindly dropped off yesterday - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...65&GSub=150797

Last edited by Royd; 11-05-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #49
Woody
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I tend to do a bit of both. There are favourite characters I request more often (Black Cat, Havok, Spidey etc) and then other times I request something that I think the artist will really nail, even though they are not neccesarily associated with the character (Nicola's Batgirl for example http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=997061)

Other times I will request characters that the artist has created themselves, like Darick Robertson http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=883560

I think my only rule is that the character has to be one that appeals to me and that I have a personal connection to.

I do really enjoy collections where there is a real focus on a particular character though, like Royd's Shanna collection or Wrothy's Etrigan collection.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
lordrycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Generally speaking, I'll request a Shanna the She-Devil piece for my Shanna-themed CAF gallery which has been going for some years now.

However, there has been the "odd" occasion where I wanted to make sure the artist was comfortable with the character choice without having to refer heavily on reference so I chose a character they'd illustrated previously - eg. I asked Travis Charest for a Voodoo piece since he'd drawn her in WildCATs.

If it's a commission where the artist has plenty of time, then I'll stick with Shanna Here's my latest Shanna commission from Lucasfilm poster artist, Mark Raats which he kindly dropped off yesterday - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...65&GSub=150797

That's a killer piece Royd... I hadn't heard of Mark Raats before but he did a really awesome job on that piece.

Sorry if you answered this question earlier in the thread, do you know if Ashley Wood is going to sketch at Supanova Adelaide? Would be great to add to my growing Dredd collection