Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
jayco35
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Wonderfest / Kitbuilders University 2012

Kitbuilders Magazine and Wonderfest USA are proud to announce the return of Kitbuilders University at the Wonderfest USA. What is Kitbuilders University you may ask? This intuitive classroom lecture was designed to teach the finest in airbrush art directed specifically at the figure modeler. Does that mean it’s solely aimed at figure modelers? No! Anyone that wants to add a whole new dimension to their artwork can learn from this class. We just happen to love figure kits. Fully resurrected in its seventh year, this quite simply, is a “hands on” workshop to help students see and perform actual painting techniques under the art direction of Dan Jorgensen, Editor/Kitbuilders Magazine.

This year we have again teamed up with Blackheart Model's founder extraordinaire George Stephenson. Here is the twist you all have demanded! What's new you ask? This year we'll be working on another 1-1 scale wall hanger. A sculpt is being finished and should be ready in time that you surely would not want to miss but just in case we have a backup plan that would only be available at the KBU. Werewolf or Vampire...we'll find out soon. Now, in the spirit of the first year, we will again be combining the two painting classes together and we'll only be working on the one kit. Students will be mingled in based upon beginner and advanced. This will allow a smoother transition for both types of students and will not prove to be much of a problem as we intend to jam as much information into the class as possible much like we did the first time around. The beginners will be working right along with the advanced as both sides will be feverishly working to create their master pieces in just one day! Mottling, shading, and everything but the kitchen sink this time around. This will give your fingers the much needed workout they have been yearning for.

We can expect some truly crazy paint jobs this year with the goal of 100% completion by all the students. Arrangements have been made to display the kits right after the class is finished so everyone will get a chance to check out what a well organized enthusiastic group can accomplish in 8 hours!

Over the years of teaching various classes I learned the best way to conduct a lecture or demonstration is through “hands on” training. This ultimate creative workshop not only communicates fun instructional technique but it’s an environment that supplies the student with the various tools that this hobby demands. This allows the student to absorb as much painting techniques as possible using state of the art materials. When the day is over all the materials used by the student are theirs to put in a box and take home. These specific tools of the trade will be theirs to enjoy for years to come.

The one thing that seemed to bog down the process was the cost. The tools that are used for the demo add up to a pretty hefty bill. Now keeping in mind, if I was to attend this class, I would want to keep the tools rather than have to run around and purchase them after the show. Now, how do I make this all possible? The key: Sponsors.
Many phone conversations have passed and many deals have been made. Actually, a soul or two have probably been traded in the process.

Here, in our opinion is the best possible deal we can make to kick off “The Best” figure modeling show.
Here is what you get:

Kitbuilders University at Wonderfest – Friday, May 25 2012, 8:00am –5:00pm

Eight hours of personal instruction bound to push not only the beginners to new heights but will put the advanced student through the ropes as well! Above and beyond this, here is a laundry list of items you use and will take home after the class is done:

NEW! Badger Renegade Velocity Fine tip illustration airbrush (Beginners)

Thayer and Chandler T-909 Silent air compressor (Beginners)

Paints to be listed later!
(Haven’t painted the kit yet so it’s hard to make a list!)

Other supplies –
Future Floor Wax
10/0 detail liner brush
10/0 Filbert brush
#2 Filbert brush
Dull Cote
1-1 Wall Hanger Bust produced by Blackheart Models (details pending)

Rubber gloves if require for you messy painter types!
Painter’s mask for those afraid of fumes

Lunch will be on us! This will keep all students in the arena and keep their minds on the task at hand: Learning!

Now for the price. This was a big contention and I feel that we have indeed whipped up the best deal possible. We had to raise the price slightly to cover for the 1-1 scale bust but you still get to keep it all for only $400.00!! Everything that you use, you keep! I know this is a substantial amount and times are hard enough but trust me folks, this is a deal you just can’t pass up. Heck, don’t want the airbrush or compressor? Sell them on E-Bay or to one of your buddies for $100-$200 and get your admission price back in full!

This is a first come-first serve offering! We are currently taking enrollment and space is limited! Space will fill up fast so get your name on the list.

Advanced students will be pay only $250 but are required to bring their own airbrush. All advanced students are required to inform us in advance of which type of airbrush they will be using to arrange proper air requirements based upon your brush of choice.

The Sculpting Class

This year we will be working with none other than Joe Laudati.
he plans to work your fingers to the bone while creating an original humanoid figure in 1/8th scale. Young and old alike will get their opportunity to bring their own imaginations alive. Other than eight hours of mind bending information here is what you get:

5.5 x 5.5”x 3/4” sculpting board/ base with 1/8th gauge holes drilled

6 feet of 1/16 gauge aluminum armature wire

2 feet of 1/8 gauge aluminum armature wire

20” of 22 gauge copper wire

2” of fast-drying epoxy putty (Pro-poxy or similar brand)

1 lb each of Grey Sculpey firm

And this is just the tools Think of the years of knowledge piled into one day, well hell, that's worth the price of admission as it is!

Price is just $250 for a full day of conversation and some serious clay pushing!

This is a first come-first serve offering! We are currently taking enrollment and space is limited to just 30 students! Space will fill up fast so get your name on the list.

Contact us at:

info@kitbuildersmagazine.com or kitbuildersmagazine@charter.net or call (618) 588-5232 to sign up for a reserved seat for this historic event. Seats go fast so reserve as soon as possible!

I always said, “If I couldn’t do it “BIG”…. Why do it at all?” And believe me, this is always big!
jayco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Where is Wonderfest? I have been wanting to go for several years now.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Jesse321
Galactus

www.wonderfest.com
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
jayco35
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

official link is up
http://www.wonderfest.com/index.php?...125&Itemid=192
jayco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Man, this show and the painting class is totally worth it! I wish I had the funds to do this again as I would in a heartbeat!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
xXx
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Would love to go again this year! Class was fun last year, learned a lot! Unfortunately airfair is very expensive this year

I was wondering, didn't Wonderfest have a Discount code for airline tickets last year?
xXx is offline   Reply With Quote