Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 03-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #721
newe82
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
I'm not sure what the scale has to do with whether fabric can look good. Have you actually seen some of these P1 statues that have capes that aren't sculpted?

Really, their 1:2 scale statues don't have sculpted capes. They look amazing. The quality of both the Batman and Superman capes was really impressive.

It isn't like these are similar to the cape on the Sideshow Christopher Reeve Superman statue.

Not that I have anything against a sculpted cape (the cape on the Modern Batman PF looks really good) - in this case, I just prefer the look with the cape falling down more rather than billowing to the right. Had the sculpted cape been in a different pose, I may not have been as quick to switch. Although, I also prefer the less thick cape where it attaches as well.

But, I don't think saying a fabric cape isn't "ideal" on a 1/3 scale statue is accurate. There are decent examples out there that prove that thought process wrong, IMO.
1/3 scale cape not ideal. Sorry forgot to add IMO. I forgot that unless I state IMO it is considered fact. Sculpted is better IMO, fixed.
newe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #722
COI

Decided on the fabric version, and just ordered one locally.

It was a tough choice, but the rotating base and ability to order locally nudged me towards the fabric version.

Both have their pros and cons. Whichever version you get, there's a lot to look forward to here.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #723
M United
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Just wanted to point out that no one has to make themselves feel better about either choice, because both pieces are the same price and if you jump on the waitlist now, you will get the sculpted one if that's what you want.

I don't get the exclusive/sour grapes/sold out mentality in this hobby, not just in this case, but in general. People act like anyone who prefers the non-exclusive, or non sold-out piece is just doing so because of sour grapes or self-delusion. It's such a silly mentality.

No wonder these companies insist on exclusives and play around with waitlists and sell-out designations; collectors are suckers.

Buy the one you like. No need to complain or explain.
I personally would be happy with either sculpted or fabric (i have sculpted on pre order).
M United is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #724
NEMISIS PRIME
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Location: Y'all crazy as hell paying 5k for doom on throne!!!
Quote:
Just wanted to point out that no one has to make themselves feel better about either choice, because both pieces are the same price and if you jump on the waitlist now, you will get the sculpted one if that's what you want.

I don't get the exclusive/sour grapes/sold out mentality in this hobby, not just in this case, but in general. People act like anyone who prefers the non-exclusive, or non sold-out piece is just doing so because of sour grapes or self-delusion. It's such a silly mentality.

No wonder these companies insist on exclusives and play around with waitlists and sell-out designations; collectors are suckers.

Good post then there are those of us that gave up the sculpted because we liked the fabric better both versions are epic
NEMISIS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #725
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Sculpted and Fabric are both great! The End.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #726
myskye23
Hellboy

I agree with the general consensus that both these versions of the statues are great! I only ordered the sculpt cape thinking that one day someone can develop a fabric cape for it so that I could switch it out in case I wanted to. Originally, I was going to go with the fabric cape until they announced the sculpt (I didn't choose the sculpt cape thinking it was 'better' I chose it because the option of switching would be easier between the two).

I think we can all agree that both versions, no matter what your preference may be, ARE EPIC! Prime 1 completely knocked this statue out of the park IMO.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #727
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:

Both pieces have their pros and cons and everyone should choose what they like without considering edition sizes. Chances are the edition sizes will be very close with the fabric version being slightly higher due to more broad availability for preorder with retailers.

Here is what I'm observing so far: history tells us that sculpted capes on certain pieces don't work well over time with some statues. Particularly so with something that's unevenly distributed weight wise as the case is with this Superman. Yeah, we can say that P1 will engineer this thing so well with a light weight PVC cape, a strong rod that supports the weight, etc......but why take that chance on a $1,000 collectible with a fabric cape option readily available? We are all here in a statue forum and have seen countless photos of collectibles leaning like a tower in Italy so we are far from uninformed.

Some people (not everyone) are holding on to their preorders until the ES on the fabric version is announced. Others are holding on to the sculpted cape because it's the exclusive (for all intents and purposes) and they feel pretty good they got one even though that wait list is guaranteed to convert if you jump on it today. Others genuinely prefer sculpted.

Mind you, these $1000 P1 collectibles are not necessarily setting the world on fire in the aftermarket so I don't know what the people buying a version they don't truly love are thinking in regards to more rare/desirable.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #728
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Both pieces have their pros and cons and everyone should choose what they like without considering edition sizes. Chances are the edition sizes will be very close with the fabric version being slightly higher due to more broad availability for preorder with retailers.

Here is what I'm observing so far: history tells us that sculpted capes on certain pieces don't work well over time with some statues. Particularly so with something that's unevenly distributed weight wise as the case is with this Superman. Yeah, we can say that P1 will engineer this thing so well with a light weight PVC cape, a strong rod that supports the weight, etc......but why take that chance on a $1,000 collectible with a fabric cape option readily available? We are all here in a statue forum and have seen countless photos of collectibles leaning like a tower in Italy so we are far from uninformed.

Some people (not everyone) are holding on to their preorders until the ES on the fabric version is announced. Others are holding on to the sculpted cape because it's the exclusive (for all intents and purposes) and they feel pretty good they got one even though that wait list is guaranteed to convert if you jump on it today. Others genuinely prefer sculpted.

Mind you, these $1000 P1 collectibles are not necessarily setting the world on fire in the aftermarket so I don't know what the people buying a version they don't truly love are thinking in regards to more rare/desirable.
Good post. We're in total agreement.

For $1000, I don't want lingering questions in my mind.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #729
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newe82 View Post
1/3 scale cape not ideal. Sorry forgot to add IMO. I forgot that unless I state IMO it is considered fact. Sculpted is better IMO, fixed.
Don't worry about it - there was no point where I considered what you had stated as fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Yep. I don't even think of a P1 piece increasing in value, no matter the ES (I'm sure there are some exceptions). I switched from something wait-listed to something with an unknown ES and had a sense of relief when it was done. If it's treated as the "Reg" and has a higher ES, that's fine with me.

This is a weird case, though - I'm not even sure if something like this has ever happened. Both versions have something "exclusive" and the only "variant" is the material used for the cape (well, and one has a rotating base).
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #730
solidgadium
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

That's a great point...I bet the caped version was originally the only version and the Heat vision was probably the Exclusive. Anyway, kudos to Prime 1 for listening and making the skulpted version a little extra special with the lower ES. I got on the waitlist but also went and POd fabric as I love both versions. Bring on Ivy!!
solidgadium is offline   Reply With Quote