Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I haven't read his DD or Cap run, but i plan to... But my hat is gone dude... it's blown away sky high like a rocket when you dissed Brubaker Iron Fist... I mean i love that run so much... i know it's kind of fanboyish to lose it on someone not liking the run you love but it was so phenomenal... how can someone not like that run.... I can't believe this...

I read Immortal IF 1-7 and found myself feeling not all that compelled to continue reading it. I mean I liked it but compared to EB's work on Cap and Gotham City Central, for example, there was no comparison for me. However, it's great to hear you loved it. Perhaps when I have some time, I might revisit the run. Maybe it's an age thing. Perhaps this book is targeted more for teens and early 20s which might explain why I wasn't particularly moved. I tend to like the same books WKTF likes so maybe it is an age thing. Some people loved Jim Lee's run on Justice League, for example, yet I found the book a colossal mess as the characters were barely recognizable to me, especially GL. I sometimes find that my 40+ years of comics reading has an impact on what I read now.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

Sorry,i made a grammer mistake in my english. What I meant was Iron Fist was a B lister charater, a joke before Brubaker's run. That run was so good... me and my friends talked about nothing but Brubaker Iron Fist for a year long or something... Our minds were blown away. I can't believe you don't like Brubaker Iron Fist... You old timers' tastes are different from me for sure. I mean i just read Giant Size X-Men number 1 and it was ----, i can't believe anyone praises that thing... lol
Again, as you and I’ve discussed, this isn’t about being an “old timer,” necessarily. I’ll always have a place in my heart for GS X-Men from when I bought it off the spinner rack, or even for Claremont’s run on X-Men, but I agree they don’t hold up well now, especially Claremont’s long winded, overblown writing.

This is just about preferences. Again, as we’ve discussed, I love some current runs like Jason Aaron’s Thor and Star Wars. It’s not about being and old timer.

Last edited by wktf; 01-18-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Fixing typos.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I read Immortal IF 1-7 and found myself feeling not all that compelled to continue reading it. I mean I liked it but compared to EB's work on Cap and Gotham City Central, for example, there was no comparison for me. However, it's great to hear you loved it. Perhaps when I have some time, I might revisit the run. Maybe it's an age thing. Perhaps this book is targeted more for teens and early 20s which might explain why I wasn't particularly moved. I tend to like the same books WKTF likes so maybe it is an age thing. Some people loved Jim Lee's run on Justice League, for example, yet I found the book a colossal mess as the characters were barely recognizable to me, especially GL. I sometimes find that my 40+ years of comics reading has an impact on what I read now.
Yup, I also loved the Bru/Rucka Gotham Central and couldn’t stand Jim Lee’s Justice League either. But then, aside from Snyder’s Batman run, New 52 was just a train wreck for me (and the market, apparently).

You may be right, about some books’ being targeted to a younger audience. But I do think some people’s loving Morrison’s Batman or Bru’s Iron Fist, vs others’ not liking them, for example, is more a style/taste/preference thing that’s not age related.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Again, as you and I’ve discussed, this is t about being an “old timer,” necessarily. I’ll always have a place in my heart corn GS X-Men for when I bought it off the spinner rack, or even for Claremont’s run on X-Men, but I agree they don’t hold up well now, especially Claremont’s long winded, overblown writing.

This is just about preferences. Again, as we’ve discussed, I love some current runs like Jason Aaron’s Thor and Star Wars. It’s not about being and old timer.

Oh, i'm glad you are objective Wktf. I was expecting something like '' what ! how can you not like GS X-Men 1'' lol so it's really not about being an old timer. I was just guessing about a reason for our different tastes anyway...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
protector2814
Phoenix

My early 20's (at the time) Daughter loved Brubaker's IF & has the trade(s). It was just too convoluted for me & I ended up not giving a damn who won the battle of champions. His DD ended up depressing me more than thrilling me & I found the whole blind-wife arc, his trip abroad, & the lack of joy in the book a departure from what I loved about the character. Same goes for the Bendis run, more-or-less.

But ... who gives a darn. What books did you love/like last year? That's the point of this thread. Sorry I helped derail it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Ill have to pick up the Future Quest trades, Jerry, based on your comments, though I see the first volume’s Sold out on CGN.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #17
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
My early 20's (at the time) Daughter loved Brubaker's IF & has the trade(s). It was just too convoluted for me & I ended up not giving a damn who won the battle of champions. His DD ended up depressing me more than thrilling me & I found the whole blind-wife arc, his trip abroad, & the lack of joy in the book a departure from what I loved about the character. Same goes for the Bendis run, more-or-less.

But ... who gives a darn. What books did you love/like last year? That's the point of this thread. Sorry I helped derail it.
Sorry for drailing your thread. :/ I don't think that i have read anything from 2017. I'm at 2016 with Batman and Batman is the closest i get to the current runs. There is only some bat books that i get as HC and i get some Omnibus books from DC time to time and i follow everything as Omnibus with Marvel and i get Image as deluxes. I quit getting single issues 9 years ago or something. Only single issues i plan to get is Action Comics 1000 and Detective Comics 1000 and that's it.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, i'm glad you are objective Wktf. I was expecting something like '' what ! how can you not like GS X-Men 1'' lol so it's really not about being an old timer. I was just guessing about a reason for our different tastes anyway...
Ha! DK, you should know after our many “debates,” that I’m not one to criticize others’ likes/dislikes.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #19
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Ha! DK, you should know after our many “debates,” that I’m not one to criticize others’ likes/dislikes.
Oh, right, you were like that, yeah. I wish i could be like that too but sometimes it's hard to not to say anything when it comes to runs that you consider great. Well, i'm polite about it at least. no feelings hurt so no harm done.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #20
risingstar
Jedi Order

I recently read Lemire's Moon Knight 1-14. I felt it was a clever modern take on the character. Throughout it all, you're often left wondering what is and what is not real. I would recommend the read for those who like psychological and supernatural thrillers. However, if you're looking for superhero slug-fests, this wouldn't be the tale for you.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote