Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I'm just glad guys like Dale Keown or Art Adams don't do the same, even though everything they produce gets picked up in a flash.
arguably art is doing the same experiments at $1k for a 9x12 head sketch.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
Demona
Martian Manhunter

What's odd to me about the Fabok obsessions is that he is soooo close to Finch (who mentored him). I would much rather own Finch OA than Fabok. I love David Finch. Fabok doesn't stand out that much to me. I get loving an artist's work regardless of others, but Fabok doesn't do much for me.

But his prices are supply and demand. If people pay it - why not keep asking for it? I would. Never know when that bubble will burst.

ArtGerm came on the scene and is making huge cash. But at least he doesn't look like other artists on the scene these days.

Oh and as a side note - I would pay 1K for Art Adam if I could get the sketch of the Storm I use in my tag. LOVE his work and love getting lost in the minute details.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
arguably art is doing the same experiments at $1k for a 9x12 head sketch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Oh and as a side note - I would pay 1K for Art Adam if I could get the sketch of the Storm I use in my tag. LOVE his work and love getting lost in the minute details.
Agreed.

1k isn't a crazy amount these days unfortunately and Art only getting to 2-3 of them each show he attends almost makes it even more justified. I wouldn't pay that for a 9x12 from most artists but I would still pay that for an Art Adams. I do remember it at one point being 300 only a few years ago so I can see what you mean.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Agreed.

1k isn't a crazy amount these days unfortunately and Art only getting to 2-3 of them each show he attends almost makes it even more justified. I wouldn't pay that for a 9x12 from most artists but I would still pay that for an Art Adams. I do remember it at one point being 300 only a few years ago so I can see what you mean.
Art Adams was $500 last year for 9x12 so I'm glad i finally got one when I did.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Agreed.

Yeah, I remember too ... Heroes con a few years ago when that was the rate ... got in line at 5am to ensure getting on the list. Had to get Kibby to intervene to make sure us line riders outside the floor weren't bumped by those who had dealer badges. Rushed up to Art's line and was in third place. Asked for a piece for my Larkin theme and offered to pay double rate. Art agreed. He got more than 3 pieces done that weekend but said he would do mine at home and that I should contact him via email. And that is pretty much where the frustration gets really bad as I have had no luck getting movement on my piece. Thanks TC for that memory

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Art Adams was $500 last year for 9x12 so I'm glad i finally got one when I did.
I'll buy yours from you for $750, nice little 50% profit after only a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Yeah, I remember too ... Heroes con a few years ago when that was the rate ... got in line at 5am to ensure getting on the list. Had to get Kibby to intervene to make sure us line riders outside the floor weren't bumped by those who had dealer badges. Rushed up to Art's line and was in third place. Asked for a piece for my Larkin theme and offered to pay double rate. Art agreed. He got more than 3 pieces done that weekend but said he would do mine at home and that I should contact him via email. And that is pretty much where the frustration gets really bad as I have had no luck getting movement on my piece. Thanks TC for that memory
Hah, that's my bad! My experience wasn't as bad as yours. I made the list at NYCC 2017, I think he did 2 that whole show and now it's doubled in price, sigh. Art isn't great at communication outside of cons it appears.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #17
Sam
Hydra

Quote:
Yeah, I remember too ... Heroes con a few years ago when that was the rate ... got in line at 5am to ensure getting on the list. Had to get Kibby to intervene to make sure us line riders outside the floor weren't bumped by those who had dealer badges.
Oh yeah I remember that. People with dealers badges (like comicmonster) had already lined up and basically tried to completely bogart the line before we even got inside. So glad Kibby was able to help out with that and sad at the same time that things haven't worked out like you'd hoped.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #18
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
What's odd to me about the Fabok obsessions is that he is soooo close to Finch (who mentored him). I would much rather own Finch OA than Fabok. I love David Finch. Fabok doesn't stand out that much to me. I get loving an artist's work regardless of others, but Fabok doesn't do much for me.
I think many would argue that fabok surpassed finch. I'm not in the market for either given current prices but if offered up like for like commission I likely would go with fabok.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #19
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
I'm pretty much in the same boat and have been in it since nycc 2016. i was 3rd on his list then. he has my art board. on rare occasion he will answer my email and when I see him at shows he acknowledges its existence. at today's rates though, I'm somewhat ok with it being in perpetual limbo.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #20
Mean Green
Fantomah

Jim Cheung's asking 6-8K for his covers now too. I long for the days where I thought 2.5-3K was a lot to pay for a cover (for new books)