Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-01-2022, 01:10 AM   #51
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
And, uh...did they just CREATE Mount Doom?!?
They sure did, pretty spectacular. Also loved those shots of the Numenoreans flying across the valley on their horses at full tilt, looking like Rohirrim
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:42 AM   #52
Asgard
Deadman

The first episode I liked now.

Although I don't understand how you can confuse a wrapped sword with a flat hatchet.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:07 AM   #53
Westhelle
Shadowhawk

Finished the last episode. The entire amazon series is pretty boring overall and forgetable.
The only likeable characters are Elrond and his dwarf buddy.
Westhelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #54
Augen
Metal Men

I try to be positive folks, I do.

As an adaptation...I don't even know where to start.

As it's own thing...I still think it is a failure.

From the most basic writing aspects of continuity, characterization, pacing, storytelling? Nothin worked for me.

I wanted it to, I love this world and the richness Tolkien imbued within it. Fantasy is a soft spot for me, but I cannot help but be constantly ripped out of the show by bad writing. You contradict lore, but then you contradict yourself, sometimes within the same episode.

The most famous piece of LotR ever produced is the passage...

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

This is literally the heart of the Lord of the Rings (Sauron) and the Rings of Power (title of this show) and they just butchered it. Nothing from here on can possibly make logical sense given the massive departure in the nature of the rings.

I hope people enjoy it and find happiness, I'm simply disappointed that something so precious was not treated with the care it deserves.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #55
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I try to be positive folks, I do.

As an adaptation...I don't even know where to start.

As it's own thing...I still think it is a failure.

From the most basic writing aspects of continuity, characterization, pacing, storytelling? Nothin worked for me.

I wanted it to, I love this world and the richness Tolkien imbued within it. Fantasy is a soft spot for me, but I cannot help but be constantly ripped out of the show by bad writing. You contradict lore, but then you contradict yourself, sometimes within the same episode.

The most famous piece of LotR ever produced is the passage...

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

This is literally the heart of the Lord of the Rings (Sauron) and the Rings of Power (title of this show) and they just butchered it. Nothing from here on can possibly make logical sense given the massive departure in the nature of the rings.

I hope people enjoy it and find happiness, I'm simply disappointed that something so precious was not treated with the care it deserves.
agreed, I hate to say it but this show sucks, I wanted to give it a chance with an open mind but it was worse than even I had anticipated, Amazon should be ashamed of themselves for tossing aside Tolkien so blatantly. There literally isn't one scene in the entire season that I would want to go back and rewatch, I feel dirty even supporting Amazon by watching these episodes when clearly they dont give a single crap about continuity, lore, or respecting Tolkiens history. 2/10 for me after watching all the episodes. I understand now why the tolkien lore expert rage quit this show, not sure why Amazon even hired that person when clearly they dont care about anything that Tolkien established, they just wanted to do their own terrible thing
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #56
AC_808
Hercules

For the production part of things, the show was great! I have to give them that.

But with regards to Tolkien Lore ....yea, that was not adhered to. That was disappointing.

Wondering if the show writers and show runners planned out the story for a specific amount of seasons. With the timeline compressed the way it is, it might be because they are given only a specific number of seasons. That could also explain why they changed the lore the way they did. Dunno.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:53 PM   #57
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I was somewhat entertained, but...

I am obsessive about lore, but I try to put that aside because I know Amazon had to change things.

But like Augen said, so much of the show is stoopid. The whole Stranger/Halbrand/Sauron thing only makes sense if you want to ignore details they included. Included only for the sake of trying to fool you the whole season. A season focused on boring, irrelevant plot points. And the ground they cover in the last episode? HAHA THAT was the interesting stuff, and it happens in the blink of an eye...

And oh my god...the song version of the rings at the end? My jaw almost hit the floor at how awful that was.

Also loved (not) how the Stranger spoke broken english all season, and the last five minutes he's quite eloquent. lol
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #58
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Aside from the dwarves/Elrond, I was not impressed.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #59
Asgard
Deadman

I found it mostly boring
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #60
Peedi
The Secret Six

I haven’t deep dived into the lore. I’m just a fan of the movies and I read the Hobbit in middle school (barely remember reading, I just remember that I did). But the show looked great. The writing could’ve been better.
Peedi is online now   Reply With Quote