Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
xxDREAMERxx
Doh!

Galactus - BD

Took some advice from someone to ask for help here. Thank you btw.

I've been doing searches on repairs, but just started so maybe asking this a lil premature, my apologies if so. I will continue to search this forum. (reading and viewing the OLD TUTORIAL section. Good stuff)

Got a busted full size statue of Galactus by BD. The only thing wrong is the side panels, boards, antennas take your pick on name, sorry. Are broken off.

I'm an artist on several levels, airbrush, tatt00(pro), sketcher, pencil/inker, but by no means anything to do with sculpting. So if I need to draw something or computer grafix not an issue.

I have access to several kinds of clays/puddys/ resins etc. from a friend who makes cosplay weapons and such. So he has to mold and cast certain items.

would be the best way to approach this fix? Or is too elaborate to post here. Totally understandable if thats the case, just point me in right direction with minimal help. I'll take what I can get.

Thanx in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10857922_10152468524390443_5927228639267277097_n.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	87790   Click image for larger version

Name:	10403286_10152468524350443_1840253311007291080_n.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	87791   Click image for larger version

Name:	10383023_10152468524425443_4145872431701499171_n.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	87792  

Last edited by xxDREAMERxx; 12-22-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Additional info found
xxDREAMERxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Hello mate!

You will need the following supplies:
- Epoxy putty(I use Aves Apoxie Sculpt)
- Clear 5 minute epoxy putty(I use the 2 ton variety)
- Super glue
- Super glue accelerator
- Metal rod/wire
- Micro drill
- Paints to repaint

Here's what I did for a recent client to repair the broken finger of a statue:

1. Drill a hole/holes in both parts to be repaired

2. Cut an appropriate length of metal wire/rod
3. Dry fit into both holes so that both parts sit together properly

4. Mix up some clear 5 minute epoxy. Let sit for about 1 minute
5. Apply to both parts surfaces where they meet and let it fill the holes you've drilled to about 3/4ers
6. Apply super glue sparingly to one or two spots on one part
7. Insert metal rod, apply super glue accelerator to one or two spots on the other part where they will meet the super glue on the first part
8. Press both parts together. The super glue will bond instantly and keep the parts together so that the epoxy has time to dry and bond with the parts and the metal rod
9. Mix up some Aves
10. Apply to the surface of the two parts where they meet and sculpt in missing detail. Clean up with water or Apoxie safety solvent

11. Let harden(3 hrs)
12. Sand, prime and paint match!

riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
xxDREAMERxx
Doh!

Hey thanks for the steps man, really appreciate it. Gonna keep this in the "how-to's" for my learning.

I guess I should have also been more specific. What I want to know is how to mold the pieces i'm missing. I dont have the broken side pieces to his helmet. That was the first thing I asked the gentleman. "Do you have the broken pieces" lol the dreadful reply "no, sorry I dont".

I was wondering how or where would one get this kinda of info? I found some printable pieces that are similar in shape and size to his helmet as well as well proportioned. So how would someone go about molding the piece to fit his helmet. I figure mold one, its identical to the other one unless one side is different from the other which I dont think they are.

Again, THANK YOU so much for this particular tutorial, much appreciation. Hopefully I wont need to fix any borken pieces as I have in the past with clean breaks lol nonetheless gracias!
xxDREAMERxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
SONICobra
Bane

alright, heres what I would do...

-buy a sheet of plastistruct (sheets of plastic in varying thickness, available at hobby stores)
- buy a thickness that stands on its own but is still thin so you can sculpt on top of it
- cut the plastistruct to the shape of the side panels you want (make sure they are exactly the same size and shape)
- glue metal wires to one or both sides of the panel. make sure they extend past the bottom of the panel (you will insert these into the existing statue similar to the above post)
- put aves on both sides of the plastistruct (I would recommend doing one at a time)
- trim the aves along the side of the plastistruct while its still workable with an xacto knife
- sand the aves to a smooth flat surface (I usually wrap a piece of sand paper around a flat metal file to make sure its absolutely flat)
- do the other side the same way

NOW

you should have two side panels ready to attach to your statue each one of them having pins sticking out the bottom (I recommend at least two per panel)
- drill / dremel a hole in the area of the statue the panels attach to
- test fit the panels to make sure the pin goes in the hole completely and the new panel sits where you want it to
- fill the hole with aves, put some super glue on the mating surface of the statue the new panel will sit on
- insert the new panel
- you may have to dremel / sand part of the statue so you have a clean mating surface, maybe not
- after 24 hours use aves to fill any gaps, resculpt any areas at the bottom of the panels now that theyre attached to the statue
- finish sand / prime / paint

sorry I don't really have any pics but hopefully the description is simple enough. I would definitely recommend checking out vince-vell's youtube channel for tips on repairing broken statues. good luck!
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote