Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
Iskandur
Doh!

Baking Sculpey with Varathane finish

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have a 1:6 scale piece that I recently completed. It’s a 12’ tall female figure made from sculpey iii. I’ve been working on a silicone and plaster mother mold for the piece to make casts. During the mold making process, one of her ankles shattered due to the weight of the plaster. it was always a weak spot as it had a hairline crack when the piece was baked. At that time i filled the crack with more sculpey and re-baked and then added a varathane finish to the piece.

The way the piece cracked, i think i could fit it back together. My question is what are my options for repairing? I’ve read several of the other posts about various glues and epoxies. However, since the break was at her foot, i had considered removing the foot completely and just resculpting it, but with the varathane finish on it, i don’t think I have that option. It would seem like baking might ruin the varathane finish at best and at worst create some toxic fumes.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Iskandur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Is it like a clear coat paint? if yes, you have no choice but to super glue the part rather than re-sculpt and baked since the heat will destroy the coating leaving tiny blobs of burnt paints on your sculpt.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Just use some aves apoxie sculpt, it is self hardening and cures much stronger and harder than sculpey.
For added strength drill out the inside of each side you wanna join and pack it with aves, you can also and a metal rod inside.
rgm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Iskandur
Doh!

to noysan3001, yes it's a clear coat polyurethane (water based) finish. I assumed rebaking would blister or burn the clear coat, but i was hoping someone else could tell me differently.

I will look into aves apoxie sculpt. I'm not familiar with it so i'll have to do some research.

Thanks!
Iskandur is offline   Reply With Quote