Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
xenoviper
Frackin!

Lightbulb *HELP* Choosing the right sculpting material

I was just wondering what sort of sculpting material should i use for sculpting 1:6 heads?
I've read that sculpey is too soft for detailing so best to go for super sculpey. Since im new to this i would require heaps of time to work on the facial expression and detailing so is sculpey the only material that allows you to have the most work time? what alternatives do i have?

Thanks in advance!
xenoviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Ceramicus
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

xenoviper,

Super Sculpey is a relatively good material for this. The more firm versions are very good for getting the results you're looking for. However, there are a number of materials that work well also, and it really depends on your comfort zone when working with them.

I would suggest any of these materials as alternatives: Chavant clay products -- NSP Hard, or Y2 Klay, or Casteline (again, hard grade)

These materials must be warmed to work, but they yeild very good results. Note: Casteline can be somewhat grainy, so I would experiment with the others first.

Any of these materials can also be used to create a rough sketch of the head from which you may make a waste mold. You can then cast up a wax version which will allow you to get even sharper, more refined details.

Take Care,

Will
Ceramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

What he said....
Old 10-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
recrisp
Doh!

XV,

First you'd need to know what you plan on doing with the end result, paint it or cast it.
If you plan on just sculpting it, then painting it, Super Sculpey's what would work best.
You can also cast it too...

If you plan on casting these, then any of the above is good, but you can't paint the raw
clay or wax, and casting is a whole 'nother deal to learn.

You didn't mention how you wanted to go about this, but if this is one of your firsts, then
definitely go with Super Sculpey, it's pretty forgiving, and holds detail fairly well, a LOT
of professional sculptors use it.
Don't forget too, you can bake it more than once, so to make sure that you do get more
detail into it, bake it so you can hold it.
You can add little parts to it and work on it a lot easier that way.
If you wanted, buy a heat gun, but definitely learn how long to hold it on one area.
If you leave it in a small area, it will brown before you know it, and I mean, it's FAST!
You'd need to practice some is what that means...

Also, with Super Sculpey you can take your time, and it's not bad stuff at all, and I would
imagine that you'd learn a lot by playing around with it.
Probably most of today's good sculptors started with it, so it can't be all bad.
Get good with using a certain medium, then graduate to something else, then maybe try
your hand at using wax, then casting.
Without knowing what you plan on doing with it, it's kind'a open as to what you need.

Randy
recrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
xenoviper
Frackin!

Thanks for all the help guys... i guess i'll give Super Sculpey a go
xenoviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Cobblepot
U talkin' to me?

I'm using SS right now, but once I've baked it how can I adhere new SS to it?
It doesn't stick if I just slap something on.
Cobblepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
pmpknface
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by recrisp View Post
XV,

First you'd need to know what you plan on doing with the end result, paint it or cast it. If you plan on just sculpting it, then painting it, Super Sculpey's what would work best. You can also cast it too...

If you plan on casting these, then any of the above is good, but you can't paint the raw clay or wax, and casting is a whole 'nother deal to learn.

You didn't mention how you wanted to go about this, but if this is one of your firsts, then definitely go with Super Sculpey, it's pretty forgiving, and holds detail fairly well, a LOT of professional sculptors use it. Don't forget too, you can bake it more than once, so to make sure that you do get more detail into it, bake it so you can hold it. You can add little parts to it and work on it a lot easier that way. If you wanted, buy a heat gun, but definitely learn how long to hold it on one area. If you leave it in a small area, it will brown before you know it, and I mean, it's FAST! You'd need to practice some is what that means...

Also, with Super Sculpey you can take your time, and it's not bad stuff at all, and I would imagine that you'd learn a lot by playing around with it. Probably most of today's good sculptors started with it, so it can't be all bad. Get good with using a certain medium, then graduate to something else, then maybe try your hand at using wax, then casting. Without knowing what you plan on doing with it, it's kind'a open as to what you need.

Randy
This is great stuff. I bought 1lb. of SS and started playing with it last night. It's really soft stuff! I didn't know you could bake it more than once!

Q - Will a hair dries work just as well as a heat gun? Thanks!
pmpknface is offline   Reply With Quote