Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #51
risingstar
Jedi Order

This might sound a bit bizarre and perhaps unfair to some but I tend to rate a con's success by how much my daughter (and soon, son and daughter as he just turned 4) enjoyed it. There are very few things we can do as a family for an entire day without going kookoo, this being one of them. The little diva in-costume prances around like a pro and literally takes/poses for at least 100 pictures thus allowing me to have some daddy fun in the aisles. If I buy something, great, if not, that's okay too.

I realize many people typically go to cons for commissions and celebrity autographs. The waits and line ups can sometimes be hard to take so I can understand the frustration which comes from missing out on something because you can't be in 3 places at once. Speaking for myself, I prefer to approach these events with the idea to have fun and less with a feeling of desperation to score big on artwork or a celebrity signing. If you missed out on one piece, another just an enticing piece will typically be found just around the corner. If you go in with the idea of getting half of what you want, it's still better than getting nothing at all. And, if you get more, then it's a bonus. Perhaps this is just an age thing on my part but as I get older, there are fewer and fewer things I "must" have.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #52
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
How about we agree that each con has its pros and cons

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #53
Underdog07
Hercules

Tagging onto Charles' post - I have started to really see cons as a great place to interact with people that I do not see on a regular basis. Meeting up with Internet or forum friends. The art and other things are icing on the cake. And taking the boys and having them have a good time is also a highlight.

Personally I am not into celebrity autographs or pictures so that aspect does not come into play. And I have stopped chasing so many sketches or con pieces. Too much work, too much headache, too much expense. I am now just targeting one or two per show. It makes life easier and frees up more time for other things at the show.

Of course my approach may change this year depending on what life throws my way in terms of health, work, and domicile.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #54
Royd
Producer
Producer

Quote:
But that mostly here art collectors hope that both con systems do well

And in the true meaning of this thread - great news Rod - I hope this means bigger and better future
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #55
Peasant
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
But that mostly here art collectors hope that both con systems do well

And in the true meaning of this thread - great news Rod - I hope this means bigger and better future
Absolutely agreed. At the end of the day, it's us (in Statueforum/true geeks/collectors) vs the world! hahahahahaha
Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 AM   #56
Peasant
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Needless to say….I'm looking forward to Supanova & OCC…however… that other last con in Melbourne….uuhhh…hhhmmm. I daresay I might even skip it this year.

@Rocket - Any ideas as to who's in the works for OCC?

@Royd - You still holding out on us buddy??? Surely there's more to announce right?? (looks at Royd with puppy dog eyes) LOL
Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote