Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 02-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #1301
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Just unpacked him and set him up and everything's come through fine luckily.

It's a very nice piece and a hell of a lot of statue for the money especially if you got him for $800.

My only complaints are....

The stomach is too defined, he needed to be a bit softer on the body sculpt, it's not a massive issue but i would have liked something softer but it is pretty much what we saw on the proto....in hand he's actually not that skinny, the definition makes him look skinny imo.

The face. It's definitely missing something the proto had and i think it's down to the eyes....the eyes on the proto made the face look sly, demonic, self assured, kinda seductive....he just looks cool in a campy way lol

The face on the production has a wide eyed look, jokey, big smile it's lost that coolness to it for sure for me, it's still nicely done and the eyes are well painted, it just seems to have lost something for me.....still its a campy character imo so this still works.

Now despite those 2 nitpicks the rest of it is extremely well done, the mixed media, the fur, the cape, the base is all very nice quality and very well done. Paint are excellent, it's a good depp red with shading as others have mentioned. The fur in particular i'm surprised at, it's really well done, i would have loved to have seen this employed on the AWIL statue.

The cape definitely needs attention out of the box, same as the Ninjas, i cringe when i see pics of the Ninjas that people haven't adjusted lol, get a hand held steamer on it and get those wrinkles out! Will do mine before i review it.

It weighs a ton, which for me is a negative because it makes it harder to display, i know a lot of people equate weight to value so you knuckle heads will love this lol.

Worth the 3 and half year wait.....it's a hard one....it's a very nice, very well made and executed statue and it's probably as close to the proto as Akuma was...i think a lot of people will be happy with him.

Overall i'm happy with him, i'd say he's 90% of what we saw in the proto for sure....

Will get some lit pics and do a video review this weekend most likely, so here's a phone pic....

DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #1302
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milo View Post
Yeah he looks much much better in person.. I also like to display him without the cape attached to the hand that holds the staff.

But I still wish they made him more screen accurate.. the clothing looks totally different and in the movie he isn't as skinny..

I hope ECC makes a 1:3 Darkness.
Regarding how skinny he is, well, that was clearly an artistic choice. Basically, did he want to make a Lord of Darkness, or Tim Curry in a Lord of Darkness body suit. I am actually good with how he went with this. Would you also want his legs to look like human legs with weirdly shaped additional prosthetic extensions with hooves? I would not....
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #1303
Darth Milo
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Regarding how skinny he is, well, that was clearly an artistic choice. Basically, did he want to make a Lord of Darkness, or Tim Curry in a Lord of Darkness body suit. I am actually good with how he went with this. Would you also want his legs to look like human legs with weirdly shaped additional prosthetic extensions with hooves? I would not....
Rob Bottin's make-up is great so yeah I prefer a Tim Curry in body suit and not an idealised Darkness..
Darth Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #1304
SDguy

I think that would be more a replica than a simple statue.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #1305
SDguy

Anyone know if I can steam the cape to make it look less "folded"?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #1306
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Some pics and my video review guys! Underlit this guy looks even better!

Video review for those who want it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3GhmM7pK5A&t

Old 02-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #1307
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Old 02-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #1308
FROBAY
Phoenix

Great pics. Fantastic piece IMO.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #1309
qz33
Rescue

Thanks for the pictures. It does look good.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #1310
DeadGhostKnight
SF ReviewerModerator

Thanks guys!

I really hope they use the fur on another project, it looks and feels great! Would love to see what they could do with it!