Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Who is Saul Alvarez?

I first heard about Saul here on the Forum when guys spoke about him about how talented an artist he is. I thought he was some kind of a legend. I've probably seen some of his work but there's just so many, I honestly say I probably didn't note much.

I never expected to meet Saul since I never bought kits, plus I'm in the middle of nowhere and he's a famous painter in the States. I have not met him even now, not personally anyway.

For me, it all started when Dan (Faken) was selling off his collection so he had a grail of mine. I offered to buy it off him and we did. Great transaction. Turns out Dan tried to help me cut cost of shipping so he sent it to a friend in the States. "He's a famous artist" he said, trying to put my nerves at ease.

Then things went south for me. My funds ran out and I couldn't afford to pay for the Maul 1:1 bust to ship all the way here. So Saul was stuck with a huge box at his home from a friend and he was suppose to help send to a total stranger halfway across the planet.

Days pass and before we knew it, much of 2010 is over now, and the whole thing started in late 2009.

All throughout, Saul was so gracious and patient. God knows how many times he (and his son) went to the post office or the courier's to help me get ship quotes and for many times it didn't work out but he stuck by me, he showed faith and kindness to a total stranger.

Well long story short, I managed to find the funds to pay for the heavy shipping charges and it finally came today. Needless to say I was relieved that this ended on a high note, ecstatic that one of my biggest grails is finally in my collection (and practically brand spanking new!!) and also relieved I didn't have to impose on Mr Alvarez and his dear family anymore.

I cannot express how thankful I am to Saul, Dan and their respective families for putting up with this.

Many still know him as a great artist, painter, sculptor, legend. Well, to those that know Saul (and Dan personally), you guys are blessed with a great friend.

To me he's a hero, and I thank the good Lord that there are still great guys like him around.

God bless you & your family, brother. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

And to Dan and Corina, God bless you both and Godspeed!
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme

There's Maul!

Thanks for keeping it safe for me, Saul!

He's a handsome little devil!

And thanks for the autographed mag! I'm gonna be buried with it! verjoyed: verjoyed:
Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Grog
SF Minister of Etiquette and Protocol

Simply put, he's one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. And a hell of a painter
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

yup a great friend and a great painter
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Have you guys ever had the privilege of meeting him?

Would be an honor to meet all a yous in the future!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That just shows Saul to be more than a freakin fabulous painter, a real class act.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Saul is a great guy! Hung out with him and a bunch of other talented guys this past weekend at jerseyfest.

If you ever have a chance to hit wonderfest in KC, Saul will prob be there along with tons of other painters and sculptors in the business. Well worth the trip out to meet them all.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
apetrucc
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I had a paint up done a year or so ago by Saul when I purchased the DD kit from the Brothers In Resin.
I met Saul at the BIR house and they where all great guys plus great kits builders and painters.
Here is the awesome staute I picked up that day it was a great experience all around and still remember meeting them.

apetrucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Saul has painted a couple of things for me and he is great. He painted something the way I asked but then I didn't quite like the color so I asked him to repaint part of it and he did so without any problems at all.

I concur that he is a great painter, a great guy, and a class act
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
AgentU7
The Spirit

I met him once. It was an honor. He's a class act through and through and one of the artists I aspire to be.
AgentU7 is offline   Reply With Quote