Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > The Shifletts

Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
shiflettbrothers
Sculptor
Sculptor

Amazing Figure Modeler covers our Gnomon Sculpting DVD

Big Thanks to Amazing Figure Modeler's Mike 'Dr. Anton Phibes' Falcigno for this sweet review of our Gnomon Workshop ' Dragon of Argos DVD! This is really way too nice.Thanks again:

"Fantasy Sculpting w/The Shiflett Brothers : The Dragon of Argos
Height: Case 7.25 ” / Disc 4.75”
Material: ABS Plastic case & Digital Video Disc (Ain't technology grand!)
Parts: 157 minutes of sheer sculpting awesomeness.
Sculptors: Brandon & Jarrod
Cost: $49 + $5 shipping in USA / email for international quote
Producer: Gnomen Workshop

By Mike Falcigno:

Well, it was bound to happen kiddies...that 2 Headed Sculpting Behemoth (aka The Shiflett Brothers) has finally opened the iron gates, allowing mere mortals to venture unrestricted into their vast cave of creativity. If you're a fan of figure sculpture, then you'll agree my opening statement is not soapbox standing.

Much like a 2 Headed Sculpting Behemoth, the Shifletts ARE the stuff of legend. Their combined talent for design & sculpture is equaled only by their warm, enthusiastic personalities. Since their debut piece, the Shifletts have stood strong as one of the most inspiring, helpful, & hilarious creative forces to ever grace the art-form of figure sculpture. Through their sculpting forum, Brandon & Jarrod have encouraged hundreds of new sculptors while providing a platform for all manner of artists to show their work & get feedback. Over the years, they have offered a tutorial here & there, but nothing as exhaustively comprehensive as what is captured on this thin, shiny disc produced by Gnomen Workshop.

No exaggeration folks, I've watched close to a dozen different sculpture DVD's in my lifetime & they all offered something useful, but The Dragon of Argos tutorial is hands down the best instructional DVD I've ever watched.

Why? Here's the thing, there are plenty of super-talented artists in the world along with plenty of excellent teachers. The problem is finding someone who possesses both those qualities. Even harder is finding that person & having them be WILLING to teach you what they know. Even if you did, it would probably cost quite a bit of cash. With this DVD you don't get one, but two amazing teachers!

What makes this DVD a bonafide treasure for sculptors is that Brandon & Jarrod show you everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in their sculpting arsenal. Concept design, armature construction, tools, material, techniques, keying your sculpture, it's all covered in easy to understand terms. The coolest part for me was that the Bros get plenty of screen time to talk about the thought process as well as the physical procedures. Anyone who has met either brother knows how infectious their personalities are, they simply have a gift for making any stranger feel like an old friend. The DVD captures this side of the Brothers perfectly; you learn about them & the thought process behind their art simultaneously.
In addition to top-rate production, you also get to witness the creation from wire frame to final Sculpey master of The Dragon of Argos, a certifiably bad-ass, ax wielding warrior poised for battle.

I guarantee that anyone with an interest in figure sculpture (both newbies & seasoned professionals alike) will not only walk away from The Dragon of Argos with a wealth of useful info, but with a burning itch to grab some clay & start sculpting immediately! That said, I can't think of a higher recommendation. This truly is a Must-Own DVD."
shiflettbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
shiflettbrothers
Sculptor
Sculptor

Here is the ad by Chad Michael Ward.

It's all shiney and stuff.

back

Here is the sculpt we do, for better or worse.

ok thanks for looking

jarrod
shiflettbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote