Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Krypton Knight
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

360's red lights of death

What a f'n headache! Back in October my 360 started giving me the three flashing red lights on the console front indicating a hardware failure. Did some research on the Xbox forums and found that this was becoming a problem for a lot of people who got their 360's around launch time. I called Microsoft and they had me send it back to get it fixed since it was still within the warranty(barely, I still had a few weeks left on it). A couple of weeks later I got it back, but noticed that it was a newer one than the one I sent them. My original console had a manufactured date of Oct '05, the one I got back was made in Aug '06. I figured since this one is newer, it should have all the bugs worked out of it.

So last night this newer console does it to me! Three red lights of death. Called Microsoft again to go through the replacement process again only to find out I'll be charged $139 this time for fixing it because I'm outside of the original warranty based on my original purchase back in Dec '05. And then, the guy on the phone couldn't process my credit card to get this going because they were having system upgrades on their end that wasn;t allowing them to process credit cards and I was given a case number and was asked to call back in a couple of hours to retry processing my card.

I haven't called them back to try the card again. I'm wondering if I'm not better off just buying another 360, the Core system since I can still use the detachable hard drive from my first one, then at least I'll have another year of full warranty or should I just bite the smaller bullet and pay Microsoft to fix the one I have?

Frustration....it's a bi*ch!
Krypton Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypton Knight View Post
What a f'n headache! Back in October my 360 started giving me the three flashing red lights on the console front indicating a hardware failure. Did some research on the Xbox forums and found that this was becoming a problem for a lot of people who got their 360's around launch time. I called Microsoft and they had me send it back to get it fixed since it was still within the warranty(barely, I still had a few weeks left on it). A couple of weeks later I got it back, but noticed that it was a newer one than the one I sent them. My original console had a manufactured date of Oct '05, the one I got back was made in Aug '06. I figured since this one is newer, it should have all the bugs worked out of it.

So last night this newer console does it to me! Three red lights of death. Called Microsoft again to go through the replacement process again only to find out I'll be charged $139 this time for fixing it because I'm outside of the original warranty based on my original purchase back in Dec '05. And then, the guy on the phone couldn't process my credit card to get this going because they were having system upgrades on their end that wasn;t allowing them to process credit cards and I was given a case number and was asked to call back in a couple of hours to retry processing my card.

I haven't called them back to try the card again. I'm wondering if I'm not better off just buying another 360, the Core system since I can still use the detachable hard drive from my first one, then at least I'll have another year of full warranty or should I just bite the smaller bullet and pay Microsoft to fix the one I have?

Frustration....it's a bi*ch!
$139 is better than $299
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
bjread
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

How about this....buy a new one....but save the receipt....switch out the old one with the new one (console only) and return it to the store as a malfunctioning unit. Get your $$$ back (or a new system to be returned later). Then your in good.
bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjread View Post
How about this....buy a new one....but save the receipt....switch out the old one with the new one (console only) and return it to the store as a malfunctioning unit. Get your $$$ back (or a new system to be returned later). Then your in good.
they're serial numbered
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

It will work if he has the original box and the store he bought it from doesn't scan the serial # onto the receipt.

Not saying its right or wrong.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfire00 View Post
they're serial numbered
There`s several ways around that.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Krypton Knight
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

While it's a nice idea, I'm just not into pulling any scams on anyone. I guess I'll think about it over the weekend and decide later on what to do.
Krypton Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

This is way I never buy anything from microsft or anyone else when it first comes out besides costing more there are always bugs.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
bjread
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

My suggestion is wrong. However, it can also be viewed as right. If the store doesn't scan the serial # on (like WM), then when you return it to them, they return it to MS for the full price. Even if WM loses some, they are raping America as it is. Not only do they drive a GREAT # of businesses out of business, but they rape their vendors AND are building a HUGE facility in China now so they can close several US facilities to save on $$$$.
bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
chromesamurai
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

This is how I avoided this headache...

I bought my 360 from Gamestop. They offer a lengthy warranty (1 yr). If anything goes wrong, you can just bring it back and get a brand new one. If the people have half a heart, they'll let you keep your hard drive as well. Sure, the Gamestop warranty might be 20 bucks or so, but that's easy for me to pay and not have to eventually end up paying another $399.

So when I got the ring o' death, I did just that. No questions asked, I had a new 360 five minutes later. That's why I would never pick up a game system from eBay or an online store. Usually no warranty, and Microsoft's warranty sucks. 3 months is nothing. My 360 died literally a couple of days after the 3 month warranty expired.

Thankfully, I've never had the need to buy a warranty for a Nintendo system. Them is some hardcore *****es. Much harder to break.

So this might not help you at all now, but if you have to end up picking up a brand new 360, get it from Gamestop or a similar store (EB Games, Best Buy) that offers a long warranty.
chromesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote