Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
zero77
Doh!

Which paint?

Hello,

I am actually an aircraft modeller for years (1/32 scale), but i decided some time ago to begin sculpting and painting large scale figures.
I have already painted a few 54mm figures (especially with an acrylic base and oils for the shading), but it is not the same.

I have ordered my first figure (from azimuth design) 2 days ago, and i would like to know better about the kind of paints you use.
For my aircraft kits, i use especially model kit paint (tamiya, gunze, alclad for metallics...) but 95% of the colors i have are dedicaded to military stuffs.

So i think i will try some new paints, in order to make some new mixes. Mike James from Azimuth has recommended to me the Folk-Art brand. They seem to have a big range of colors, and seems to be cheapper than model kit paints (same price for 3x quantity). But has someone try them in the airbrush? (i have got 1 infinity with 0.15mm nozzle and 1 evolution with 0.4mm nozzle, both from Harder & Steenbeck)
What kind of paint do you use, guys? On some airbrush shop in France, i have seen many brand like Createx or Schminke, but they are expensive, and dont know if they are well adapted to figure painting (as i need to use airbrush AND pencil...)

Thank you for your advices, every new ideas are good for me !
zero77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
zero77
Doh!

OMG, I've just seen the "what paint" post-it.... Sorry !

Better buy glasses before buying paint...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Jesse321
Galactus

www.garagekitsuscolors.com
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
zero77
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post

Thank you, they looks great ! but not very cheap, even if it is not a problem for quality products.
Are they airbrush ready?

What is the difference between pearl and irridescent?

Do anybody already tried the folk art acrylics in an airbrush?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Tamiya paints thinned will work thru a airbrush.

Vajelo and Golden brands makes airbrush ready paints.

Like Jesse said if you want good paints GK paints are great, love the skin tone line.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero77 View Post
Thank you, they looks great ! but not very cheap, even if it is not a problem for quality products.
Are they airbrush ready?
Yes, they go straight from the bottle into the airbrush. If you want cheap paint, then you're going to have to work to get them to work through the airbrush, if you want true airbrush ready paints, those don't come cheap.

Quote:
What is the difference between pearl and irridescent?
Pearl is a paint, Iridescent is a high light ... it's micro glitter in a clear base used to accentuate a base color.

Quote:
Do anybody already tried the folk art acrylics in an airbrush?
You have to thin these down like crazy, and even then sometimes (especially the white and yellows) the pigments are too large and will clog the airbrush. They're also not made for airbrush use, so you not only have to thin them, you usually have to add airbrush medium or some sort of retarder as most standard acrylics are by nature normally pretty fast drying.

Keep in mind that not all paints are made to be shot through the small nosecone of an airbrush with pressured air ... most cheap store brands are made to be used with brushes ... in order to make them work with an airbrush, you're going to need either airbrush medium and/or retarder to keep the paints from building and drying on the tip of the nosecone and the needle, so you're going to have to spend some money and time to figure out how that will best work with your airbrush, as opposed to having those products already premixed with any airbrush ready paint brand.

And even then, in my experience, not every "airbrush ready" paint brand it really "airbrush ready" ... some still have to be thinned down. That's why I invested in the Life Tones brand and made my own, because when I sit down to paint, I want to sit down and paint, not prep paint, after already having spent hours prepping a model, and then spending more time unclogging an airbrush then actually painting.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
zero77
Doh!

Thank you for your help !
I think i will give it a try !
Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Jesse321
Galactus

http://www.garagekitsuscolors.com/pr...c-starter-set/

Just added a Basic / Starter Opaque Set to our Order Listing for those that would like to try out our paints.

The set consists of:

True Red
Orange
Bright Yellow
Medium Green
Ultramarine Blue
Purple
Garage Kits Flesh
White
Jet Black