Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Battle Angel Alita

James Cameron plans to direct a film adaptation of the Japanese manga named Battle Angel Alita, known as GUNNM in Japan.

Cameron said the film would be a live-action adaption of the first four volumes of the manga series;

"What I’m going to do is take the spine story and use elements from the first four books. So, the Motorball from books three and four, and parts of the story of one and two will all be in the movie". Cameron also previously stated that he was waiting until CGI technology was sufficiently advanced to make a live-action Alita film with effects comparable to Avatar.

Cameron's producer Jon Landau said “I am sure you will get to see Battle Angel. It is one of my favourite stories, a great story about a young woman’s journey to self-discovery. It is a film that begs the question: What does it mean to be human?' Are you human if you have a heart, a brain or a soul? I look forward to giving the audience the film.”

Cameron plans to start filming after he completed his Avatar series, and therefore the film will likely not hit screens before 2019.

Plot of the manga goes like this;

"Battle Angel Alita tells the story of Alita, an amnesiac female cyborg. Her intact head and chest are found by cybermedic expert Daisuke Ido in the local dump. Ido manages to revive her and names her Alita . The rebuilt Alita soon discovers that she remembers the legendary martial art Panzer Kunst, although she does not recall anything else. Alita uses her Panzer Kunst to first become a mercenary Hunter-Warrior, killing cyborg criminals in the Scrapyard, and then as a player in the brutal sport of Motorball. "

And here is how the Motorball looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCkBf24acQ
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Luminous
Cyclops

He's been talking about doing this for years. Seems like nothing new has developed. Will be another few years before he simply announces his interest once more.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

"Director James Cameron held an Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread on Reddit . A poster asked, " Why the shift from Battle Angel to producing more Avatar films? Is it the overwhelming success Avatar generated or the drive to develop the world Avatar exists in more? How much more do we not know about their world/universe?"

Cameron responded: "My intention when I made Avatar was to do Battle Angel next. However, the positive feedback for Avatar and the support of the message of Avatar, encouraged me to do more of those films. For me, the success was a factor because I was encouraged by the fact that an environmental film, or a film about nature, could be successful. It's certainly not just about money. I'm considering success to mean the measure of the ability of the film to communicate. Every director wants their film to communicate. The biggest factor, however, is the drive to continue developing the world-- more characters, more creatures with unfettered creativity."
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote