Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #371
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with licensing fees otherwise every BB-8 out there would cost $250+

It's a business move to make profit, they know people will want him to fit with their 1/4 scale collection.... If he's hollow plastic like R2-D2 then yeah it's a complete rip-off but like I said earlier some people will make an exception here or there to finish a collection... And yes I'm one of those people
Not exactly. Most of the plastic toys you see of BB-8 that are cheaper are produced in the 10s of thousands and possibly even the hundreds of thousands.

It's easier to spread out cost over a huge run rather than 3 or 4 thousand pieces.

So while I don't like his price either, licensing could have a lot to do with it.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #372
Mat Cauthon
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I see everyone surmising that BB-8 is likely going to be plastic. Is this confirmed?

Better yet, why don't we know what it is made of? Shouldn't Sideshow be obligated to tell us from which materials their statues are made before we buy them?

This is why I raged out about the Skeletor piece. It wasn't that it was covered in PVC plastic, but that we hadn't been informed on their product page that it was nearly 40% PVC plastic. There is nothing wrong with Sideshow putting plastic on their statues, or clothing material, or anything of that sort. As long as you tell us.

If I want to pay $450.00 for a beautiful sculpt (Skeletor) decked out in PVC plastic, that's my choice. I get to make the choice of whether I think it's worth it. Likewise, if I want to spend $280.00 on a mostly PVC-type plastic robot on a simple base, that, too, is up to me. But don't make us try and guess what it's made from. Provide us with the information to be informed buyers.

Folks rave about how amazing this company is to the customer. And sure, they do more than most when it comes to providing discounts, etc. But how is it that the material make-up of their pieces isn't always on their product page?

I want to put my order in for the bundle. With the bundle discount, it comes out to a total of only $25.00 than what I originally guessed. And I was off by an inch with regards to Rey (I forgot about her staff). But I'm not going to spend $280.00, or even $240.00 (if you apply the discount just to BB-8), on a 9" hollowed-out PVC Robot. And it's disappointing that such information is nowhere to be found on a product page about a statue.
Mat Cauthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #373
Raas Kaaz
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Mat, try to get a discount code.. you get $20 off Rey... (I did it)

wait for BB8 to come out..if you like what you see and hear.. get another discount code and knock off $20 .. there you have your "bundle discount" by sideshow ..

that bundle discount is not really a deal if you think about it.

In regards to .. "should sideshow tell us what the statue is made of" sure thing. but its nothing new they dont do until they have the production piece in hand a year after you pre-ordered
Raas Kaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #374
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Just looking at BB8 and not knowing much about materials. Can you really make sch fine lines in polystone to get that amount of detail to show up?
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #375
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
Just looking at BB8 and not knowing much about materials. Can you really make sch fine lines in polystone to get that amount of detail to show up?
Sure, polystone holds detail, despite what many people say, it's the subtle textures that can get lost depending on the casting and scale.

check out Megatron From Prime1
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #376
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Sure, polystone holds detail, despite what many people say, it's the subtle textures that can get lost depending on the casting and scale.

check out Megatron From Prime1
That is pretty amazing, but on a little different scale. I'm mainly looking at the straight crisp lines about half mm wide and about 1mm apart. The lines in polystone never seem to have very sharp lines. At meast to me they seem like they are carved in with sides that curve in. Spiderman PF has a lot of them.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #377
ambasah
Red Skull

I am almost certain a read somewhere that bb8 is the same as r2 as far as material is concerned (plastic).

anyhow, the good news is that no one has to rush to order anything anymore. take your time folks, and wait for the eventual deal.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #378
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raas Kaaz View Post
weathering effect is super easy to achieve.. but yeah..looking huge ...
I am 100% positive there will be a BB8 at a correct scale somewhere for a decent price. NOBODY needs a BB8 statue. he's a companion piece and frankly doesn't have the cred our little R2 does have. A great little droid but not a $300 great little droid at this point.

Id rather take that BB8 money and put half down on Jyn Erso.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #379
Mr.Knight
Justice League

BB8 is not her droid. I don't understand why people feel like they HAVE to buy it...
Mr.Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #380
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Knight View Post
BB8 is not her droid. I don't understand why people feel like they HAVE to buy it...
Maybe people want BB-8 based solely on liking the character? Not seeing many arguments being made that you can't have one without the other, just that the price tag on BB-8 is too high.

Speaking for myself I have no interest in a Rey PF, but I would like a BB-8. No way I'd pay that much however.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote