Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #31
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz View Post
We always tend to look at it from our point of view. Try looking at it from the Bowen side (I have no special insight - just from what I remember from different articles and Randy posts)

1) Bowen is a Mom & Pop shop - once they shut the line down for any reason, it is down time. It takes a lot of time and effort to prime the machine again. May as well enjoy some vacation and spent some time with the family. There is no rush to get a deal done if it is not the right deal.

2) DC really doesn't do licenses. They do most of their stuff in-house.

3) Randy did not set out to build a sculpting empire. He loves his art for the sake or art and loves the characters he deals with (for the most part ie. Cable). The business has evolved. So when he negotiates a contract, he wants to keep to his vision for his own happiness. Sideshow, etc, are a business first and a creative company second. Their prices are where they are at for a reason and I don't collect their pieces because of their price breakpoints.

4) Disney is . . . Disney.

But if the goal is to speculate on a contract negotiation that none of us have any details or real knowledge about the issues, I may as well jump in. The real reason there is no contract yet is Randy is holding out until Disney let him put out a Howard the Duck. WITH a Mother-^%&$& CIGAR!

I am with you
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #32
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
But if the goal is to speculate on a contract negotiation that none of us have any details or real knowledge about the issues, I may as well jump in. The real reason there is no contract yet is Randy is holding out until Disney let him put out a Howard the Duck. WITH a Mother-^%&$& CIGAR!

I'll get two of those! The regular and the variant.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #33
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
We always tend to look at it from our point of view. Try looking at it from the Bowen side (I have no special insight - just from what I remember from different articles and Randy posts)

1) Bowen is a Mom & Pop shop - once they shut the line down for any reason, it is down time. It takes a lot of time and effort to prime the machine again. May as well enjoy some vacation and spent some time with the family. There is no rush to get a deal done if it is not the right deal.

2) DC really doesn't do licenses. They do most of their stuff in-house.

3) Randy did not set out to build a sculpting empire. He loves his art for the sake or art and loves the characters he deals with (for the most part ie. Cable). The business has evolved. So when he negotiates a contract, he wants to keep to his vision for his own happiness. Sideshow, etc, are a business first and a creative company second. Their prices are where they are at for a reason and I don't collect their pieces because of their price breakpoints.

4) Disney is . . . Disney.

Nice post.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #34
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I completely agree with your assessment. Bowen has shot itself in the foot by only maintaining one franchise under its belt. That is not a problem for other companies that have various streams of revenue.
I will always believe this has more to do with Randy (either consciously or coincidentally) staying more to the old school model of garage kit/sculptor/company closely tied to it's supporters and fans. CMS does kind of the same thing even though he is branching a bit now. I kind of like that old school feel of things. They are both less of a factory line production company with stables and stables of unnamed sculptors churning out product. Just my 2 cents.

No I am not some statue marvel bowen zombie either.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #35
WarMachine
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

maybe Randy is using this opportunity to sell as much of his excess statues and busts first

once his inventory is cleared

we will see a new Marvel license signed

there are a lot of very good deals at Rocky's vault

WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #36
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I'm wondering if this rumor of Marvel/Disney putting the kabash on any X-Men/Spiderman products might have something to do with this delay?

Didn't XM just put Phoenix on hold? Strange coincidence.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #37
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I'm wondering if this rumor of Marvel/Disney putting the kabash on any X-Men/Spiderman products might have something to do with this delay?

Didn't XM just put Phoenix on hold? Strange coincidence.
I believe I heard XM were also told to put their Wolverine on hold as well as any other X projects. I had theorized a while back that the hold on mutants might be one of the reasons Bowen is delaying in signing their contract. Mutant products are their best sellers, so it would make sense them not wanting to sign a contract that doesn't include mutants.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #38
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I believe I heard XM were also told to put their Wolverine on hold as well as any other X projects. I had theorized a while back that the hold on mutants might be one of the reasons Bowen is delaying in signing their contract. Mutant products are their best sellers, so it would make sense them not wanting to sign a contract that doesn't include mutants.
I think that's the best theory so far.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #39
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

weird Koto does not seem to have problem producing x-men characters?
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #40
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomatrix99 View Post
weird Koto does not seem to have problem producing x-men characters?
The whole situation is wierd. Bowen not producing in a year. On internet interview he says he's got a project that's about a year in the making (or something along that line). XM has to put Phoenix on hold. The whole thing is just strange and the rumor mill is even quite.