Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 07-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #131
protector2814
Phoenix

After finishing The Swords Trilogy, you knew damn well that I was gonna have to jump directly into The Chronicles of Corum, the next and last three books of Moorc0ck's Elven Eternal Champion.
It's been a few decades since I've enjoyed these so it's almost like reading the book fresh. Unlike the swords trilogy, Chronicles is more a retelling of Celtic mythology with Corum interwoven as the hero. I flick through Frazer's guide to Celtic Mythology called The Golden Bough on occasion 'cause the myths or so unbelievably cool, so this Corum collection is quite familiar.

A few of you argued that it's Corum, not Elric who is Moorc0ck's best creation and right now, I'd agree. But...Elric's next (just the original novels) and I remember being just blown out of the water by those, so we'll see.

Once again, if you're a fan of Sword and Sorcery and have not read Moorc0ck, you have to read these. They're the best. I'm loving them all over again.

My copy is so old, dry and dogeared, that I'm gonna have to find new ones to pass on to my son.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #132
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Jane Austin's classic Regency tale, vastly improved by the inclusion of hordes of the living dead.

JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #133
abarron
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Jane Austin's classic Regency tale, vastly improved by the inclusion of hordes of the living dead.

Is that any good?

Just picked up If Chins Could Kill

Also still working though the Master and Commander books
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #134
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'm about halfway through, and it is entertaining, though not as much as I had hoped.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #135
calkat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Just finished 'Into Thin Air' by John Krakauer. It's a personal account of the Mt. Everest Disaster in 1996. Great book. Not my usual thing, but I found it pretty interesting.
calkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #136
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

I finished Book 1 - ( Game of Thrones ) of the Song of Ice and Fire.. only to find that there are 7 more books .. Damn.. m 350 odd pages thru book 2 so far.. and it'really isn't losing the pace.. I love it.

Any idea when the books after book 4 ( A feast for Crows ) are due.. When is Mr. Martin planning on completing this.

Also - i heard there are a few storylines independent of the books - any ideas, and are they essential??
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #137
Darth Torment
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

I just went throught a few books

Seeing (Jose Saramago)- Very dissapointing...is the "sequel" to Blindness by the same author..takes forever to pick up and when it does, moves at a snails pace. Don't recommend this one at all

Other People: A Mystery Novel (Martin Amis)- Quick read, and interesting concept. Kida book that I would love to chat about with someone else who has read it.

The Hour I first Believed (Wally Lamb)- I like his writing style but found this book spotty..has an interesting story, but I lost interest in it overall as it also has a "book within a book" that the main character is reading that was horribly boring and took out too big a chunk of the story actually being told. Sucks because Lamb writes some great stuff.

Currently Reading
She's Come Undone (Wally Lamb)- Very entertaining so far ..about 100 pages in and has kepy my attention thus far.
Darth Torment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #138
bat_collector
Galactus

Just finished reading Harry Potter and the Sorcere's Stone

off to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #139
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
I'm about halfway through, and it is entertaining, though not as much as I had hoped.
I stopped reading it. It really is just ridiculous and should have been just a short story or something.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #140
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
I finished Book 1 - ( Game of Thrones ) of the Song of Ice and Fire.. only to find that there are 7 more books .. Damn.. m 350 odd pages thru book 2 so far.. and it'really isn't losing the pace.. I love it.

Any idea when the books after book 4 ( A feast for Crows ) are due.. When is Mr. Martin planning on completing this.

Also - i heard there are a few storylines independent of the books - any ideas, and are they essential??
Don't hold your breath. George has been become a man of many interests. Love his work, but I wouldn't believe any date put forward.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote