Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

John Byrne is a legend in the industry. His contributions are Hall of Fame material. His status as a comic artist is at the highest level. As a comic fan, it took me quite a while to really appreciate his work. I was never a huge mutant fan and Xmen was more on the periphery of my collecting habits than the focus. My biggest exposure to him was his very short run on the Hulk which I quite enjoyed. As much as I liked it, I liked Herb and Sal that came before him and Dale Keown that followed him all quite a bit more than JB. I really love his take on Cap and Superman.

Title of the thread fixed BTW

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

He is a really talented artist but unfortunately nowadays you hear mostly about his grumpiness. His run on X-men was magical.

I remember back in 1998 maybe at the Mid-Ohio Con, he was there and after the tenth comic he signed for you, he would get a rubber stamp out of his signature and use that for all comics after that.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
ftrez
Nightwing

I don't get the bad rap Byrne gets. He's grumpy. He's oil to an editor's water. His ego keeps him from working for the Big 2.

He's a Hall of Fame comic creator (well, if there was a HOF) who chooses not to work under constraints of the Big 2. He has been open about disagreements with Jim Shooter and some other situations that he considered poor. Does that make him grumpy? Uncooperative? Egotistical?

I think a lot of comic readers have unrealistically rosy visions of Marvel and DC. We look at them through the lens of fan. Work for them for years and maybe your perceptions would be different.

There was a period where Byrne was criticized for being a "company man" for being loyal to the company that he was working for (can't remember if it was Marvel or DC at that point). He was even drawn into at least 1 First Comics E-Man story in which he was not-so-flatteringly portrayed as such. So one day he's criticized for sticking up for Marvel and another day he's criticized for not working for them. Sheesh.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrez View Post
I don't get the bad rap Byrne gets. He's grumpy. He's oil to an editor's water. His ego keeps him from working for the Big 2.

He's a Hall of Fame comic creator (well, if there was a HOF) who chooses not to work under constraints of the Big 2. He has been open about disagreements with Jim Shooter and some other situations that he considered poor. Does that make him grumpy? Uncooperative? Egotistical?

I think a lot of comic readers have unrealistically rosy visions of Marvel and DC. We look at them through the lens of fan. Work for them for years and maybe your perceptions would be different.

There was a period where Byrne was criticized for being a "company man" for being loyal to the company that he was working for (can't remember if it was Marvel or DC at that point). He was even drawn into at least 1 First Comics E-Man story in which he was not-so-flatteringly portrayed as such. So one day he's criticized for sticking up for Marvel and another day he's criticized for not working for them. Sheesh.
That's nothing compared to McFarlane making Byrne a klansman in a Spawn comic. I've never heard anything that suggested he deserved that and I don't know if anybody in the industry has ever called out McFarlane for it.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #15
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
That's nothing compared to McFarlane making Byrne a klansman in a Spawn comic. I've never heard anything that suggested he deserved that and I don't know if anybody in the industry has ever called out McFarlane for it.
I’ve always disliked McFarlane. Completely over-rated IMO. Now, Byrne is a big grump, but that’s not always a bad thing. Things happen to make fellas grumpy.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Byrne was a good artist. He was no Buscema but he made some great comics. I used to hear people b!tch about his attitude but I always saw him as a guy with some moxy. Someone who didn't put up with a lot of sh!t, who was talented enough for his work to speak for him. I can relate. Unsuccessful and insecure people are intimidated by confident and talented people. They tend to think confidence = arrogance. Someone who is sure of themselves like Byrne is a threat to the weaker ineffectual mentally lazy types. Which is why he likely became a target. It became apparent during the later years, his work was sub par and looked like he got lazy with it, I prefer much of his earlier work.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
John Byrne is a legend in the industry. His contributions are Hall of Fame material. His status as a comic artist is at the highest level. As a comic fan, it took me quite a while to really appreciate his work. I was never a huge mutant fan and Xmen was more on the periphery of my collecting habits than the focus. My biggest exposure to him was his very short run on the Hulk which I quite enjoyed. As much as I liked it, I liked Herb and Sal that came before him and Dale Keown that followed him all quite a bit more than JB. I really love his take on Cap and Superman.

Title of the thread fixed BTW
Thank you JadeGiant
One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I loved his work on Superman in the late 80s. Dude is almost 70 now, I'm sure there's a lot in life that could have made him grumpy.
Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #19
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

great artist and comic guru for certain. he just announced he will only sign his recent works and nothing from his old days. kind of a dick move i think
Old 06-21-2018, 12:46 AM   #20
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

what I read is this :

during the 80s John Byrne created the NextMen.

John wanted his creation the NExtMen to be the Next Big Thing ( much like the x-men, fantastic four). John did everything he could to try to make the NExt Men become the next big thing in comic.

it did not work out the way John wanted.

John remains bitter to this day because of this

Did any souls here read about this too?
One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote