Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #3861
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I just figured his art would of been part of the statue expense given the statues are based on the art. Otherwise it would seem that Lau could just go and sell the art to another statue company for them to make statues based on the same art...

Of course I'm just guessing as I don't know how SS does it's business behind the scenes, it just seems SS would want to own the rights so nobody else could use it.
I agree. In fact, I have personally stated this exactly thing on multiple occasions. The difference is, I don't believe the overall rights to the artwork were included in the statue contract. I believe the right for Sideshow to produce and sell a single limited edition print was included in the original statue contract. The difference between those two things money wise is substantial. Adding in the overall rights to the images Stanley created for those statues would have significant increased the overall cost of the contract for Sideshow. It just doesn't make sense from Sideshow's perspective when all they wanted was the rights to produce a single limited edition print.

Stanley Lau could easily sell the originals for those images for at least $10,000 to $15,000 apiece, possibly more. And he could make a whole lot more if he decided to produce his own editions for those prints. So For Sideshow to buy the rights to those images outright...well, Sideshow would have had to write a very substantial check and the only way this would make any sense on Sideshow's end is if the were planning of producing multiple editions (3+) for each image purchased. Otherwise it would absolutely destroy their profits off their editions released this far.

You add that to the fact that artists never like to sign away the complete rights to their images and it just doesn't add up. What is FAR more likely is that the statue contract contained a clause that allowed Sideshow to produce a single limited edition print for each image and that while those prints were being sold, Stanley would be unable to produce any additional editions himself. Once the prints sold out and Sideshow had made 100% of the potential profits possible for each print, the contract would end and Lau would then be able to produce his own editions. Again, at that point any additional editions produced would have absolutely no negative impact on Sideshow or Sideshow profits from the prints in question.

I have dealt with contracts regarding images on many occasions and this is definitely the most likely contract that Lau had signed with Sideshow. I have absolutely zero doubt that we will see editions from Lau for all of Sideshow's prints. The only question for me is did the contract end when the prints sold out or was it a timed exclusivity contract, which could be possible considering Sideshow didn't know at that point how successful the print line would be or how long it would take for them to sell out. Either one of those scenarios is a possibility, although the timed exclusive would have likely been more expensive so I still believe that Lau is able to produce his own editions the minute Sideshow's prints sell out. What I am 100% certain on is that Sideshow did not buy the rights to the images outright. It just makes no sense on Sideshow's part to make that sort of deal, especially when you consider the considerable increase in cost and loss of profit by going that route.

And just out of curiosity, why do you think Sideshow would want to own the rights to the images outright as opposed to having the rights to produce a single line of limited edition prints? Producing multiple editions is only going to piss off the customers who spent high prices on the first edition and we have seen no evidence at all that Sideshow even plans on producing multiple editions. I don't think you realize the massive difference in cost between signing a contract for a single limited edition print and buying the rights to an image outright, especially from an artist like Stanley Lau, who is one of the most sought out and profitable artists in the entire market. Buying the rights to images outright is a VERY expensive thing to do with artists like Stanley Lau. Your not talking about a few thousand dollars. Your talking a LOT of money and again from Sideshow perspective, that just doesn't make any sense.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #3862
BurningRage
The Maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.CAP View Post
Are there any other great art print companies to look for?

also, in sideshow's history, have we ever seen an art print come before a statue?
Clampett Studio for DC
Choice Collectibles for Marvel
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #3863
Canadaguy705
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I agree. In fact, I have personally stated this exactly thing on multiple occasions. The difference is, I don't believe the overall rights to the artwork were included in the statue contract. I believe the right for Sideshow to produce and sell a single limited edition print was included in the original statue contract. The difference between those two things money wise is substantial. Adding in the overall rights to the images Stanley created for those statues would have significant increased the overall cost of the contract for Sideshow. It just doesn't make sense from Sideshow's perspective when all they wanted was the rights to produce a single limited edition print.

Stanley Lau could easily sell the originals for those images for at least $10,000 to $15,000 apiece, possibly more. And he could make a whole lot more if he decided to produce his own editions for those prints. So For Sideshow to buy the rights to those images outright...well, Sideshow would have had to write a very substantial check and the only way this would make any sense on Sideshow's end is if the were planning of producing multiple editions (3+) for each image purchased. Otherwise it would absolutely destroy their profits off their editions released this far.

You add that to the fact that artists never like to sign away the complete rights to their images and it just doesn't add up. What is FAR more likely is that the statue contract contained a clause that allowed Sideshow to produce a single limited edition print for each image and that while those prints were being sold, Stanley would be unable to produce any additional editions himself. Once the prints sold out and Sideshow had made 100% of the potential profits possible for each print, the contract would end and Lau would then be able to produce his own editions. Again, at that point any additional additions produced would have absolutely no negative impact on Sideshow or Sideshow profits from the prints in question.

I have dealt with contracts regarding images on many occasions and this is definitely the most likely contract that Lau had signed with Sideshow. I have absolutely zero doubt that we will see editions from Lau for all of Sideshow's prints. The only question for me is did the contract end when the prints sold out or was it a timed exclusivity contract, which could be possible considering Sideshow didn't know at that point how successful the print line would be or how long it would take for them to sell out. Either ones of those scenarios is a possibility, although the timed exclusive would have likely been more expensive so I still believe that Lau is able to produce his own editions the minute Sideshow's prints sell out. What I am 100% certain on is that Sideshow did not buy the rights to the images outright. It just makes no sense on Sideshow's part to make that sort of deal, especially when you consider the considerable increase in cost and loss of profit by going that route.

And just out of curiosity, why do you think Sideshow would want to own the rights to the images outright as opposed to having the rights to produce a single line of limited edition prints? Producing multiple editions is only going to piss off the customers who spent high prices on the first edition and we have seen no evidence at all that Sideshow even plans on producing multiple editions. I don't think you realize the massive difference in cost between signing a contract for a single limited edition print and buying the rights to an image outright, especially from an artist like Stanley Lau, who is one of the most sought out and profitable artists in the entire market. Buying the rights to images outright is a VERY expensive thing to do with artists like Stanley Lau. Your not talking about a few thousand dollars. Your talking a LOT of money and again from Sideshow perspective, that just doesn't make any sense.

I agree Lau owns the rights and is probably allowed to sell smaller, lesser quality versions at cons etc...

But it's not like these prints were already done and SS went to Lau and asked for the rights to make statues and prints off of them.

SS went to Lau and commissioned him to create the artwork for them, which i think would give SS more say on what Lau could do.

Again, what does Sideshow mean when they say "Exclusive, limited edition prints?" I'm sure we can all guess but doesn't SS owe the customer what the definition of "exclusive" is since that's how they sell all their prints?

Either way, hopefully Lau will write you back ASAP and settle this.
Canadaguy705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #3864
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
oh WTF? that's not good then.
Quote:

Stanley Lau could easily sell the originals for those images for at least $10,000 to $15,000 apiece, possibly more.
Curious what an original of a digital image is. I thought you had said he works in digital, or are there actual paintings for each.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #3865
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaguy705 View Post
I agree Lau owns the rights and is probably allowed to sell smaller, lesser quality versions at cons etc...
I understand why the prints would have to be a different size (not necessarily smaller) but why do people assume they have to be lesser quality?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #3866
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:

You add that to the fact that artists never like to sign away the complete rights to their images and it just doesn't add up. What is FAR more likely is that the statue contract contained a clause that allowed Sideshow to produce a single limited edition print for each image and that while those prints were being sold, Stanley would be unable to produce any additional editions himself. Once the prints sold out and Sideshow had made 100% of the potential profits possible for each print, the contract would end and Lau would then be able to produce his own editions. Again, at that point any additional additions produced would have absolutely no negative impact on Sideshow or Sideshow profits from the prints in question.

I have dealt with contracts regarding images on many occasions and this is definitely the most likely contract that Lau had signed with Sideshow. I have absolutely zero doubt that we will see editions from Lau for all of Sideshow's prints. The only question for me is did the contract end when the prints sold out or was it a timed exclusivity contract, which could be possible considering Sideshow didn't know at that point how successful the print line would be or how long it would take for them to sell out. Either ones of those scenarios is a possibility, although the timed exclusive would have likely been more expensive so I still believe that Lau is able to produce his own editions the minute Sideshow's prints sell out. What I am 100% certain on is that Sideshow did not buy the rights to the images outright. It just makes no sense on Sideshow's part to make that sort of deal, especially when you consider the considerable increase in cost and loss of profit by going that route.

i see. so it's possible then, for example, the poison ivy print can be reissued by lau since that's pretty much 100% sold out and the ES run is a done deal with ssc. if that's the case AND he can reissue them in 18"x24" then that would be good times for guys who missed out on it. even if its in 11x17" so long as its the same poison ivy image that would still be the bomb...with a free Lau sig on it.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #3867
Kovenor
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Alex similar question as above but with the limited edition prints that does mean they will never be released again in the future right?
Thanks

They wouldn't be re-released at the same size. If they were ever to be released again (though honestly that seems highly doubtful) then they would not be at the same size. More than likely the variant versions of some of these (i.e.: fleshed skinned Poison ivy for example) would be released over releasing previous prints at different sizing, adornments, etc.
Kovenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #3868
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:

You add that to the fact that artists never like to sign away the complete rights to their images and it just doesn't add up. What is FAR more likely is that the statue contract contained a clause that allowed Sideshow to produce a single limited edition print for each image and that while those prints were being sold, Stanley would be unable to produce any additional editions himself. Once the prints sold out and Sideshow had made 100% of the potential profits possible for each print, the contract would end and Lau would then be able to produce his own editions. Again, at that point any additional editions produced would have absolutely no negative impact on Sideshow or Sideshow profits from the prints in question.

I have dealt with contracts regarding images on many occasions and this is definitely the most likely contract that Lau had signed with Sideshow. I have absolutely zero doubt that we will see editions from Lau for all of Sideshow's prints. The only question for me is did the contract end when the prints sold out or was it a timed exclusivity contract, which could be possible considering Sideshow didn't know at that point how successful the print line would be or how long it would take for them to sell out. Either one of those scenarios is a possibility, although the timed exclusive would have likely been more expensive so I still believe that Lau is able to produce his own editions the minute Sideshow's prints sell out. What I am 100% certain on is that Sideshow did not buy the rights to the images outright. It just makes no sense on Sideshow's part to make that sort of deal, especially when you consider the considerable increase in cost and loss of profit by going that route.

If what you say is the case, then what Sideshow is claiming about it being a limited edition is false, SS says for example Poison Ivy Art has a ES of 250, yet if Lau can make more after the fact then the ES is a lie. I guess you can use technicalities like Lau doing a different sizes or changing a color. But IMO it's still shady.

The whole art thing with SS is fairly new for a long time SS had no plans on releasing art prints, so why didn't Lau release all the art prints he's done with SS before they decided to release them? There was a pretty big demand for them..... $10k-$15k is a drop in the bucket when you consider how many statues they sell. Artists have been hired to do a custom one off prints for people all the time, I assume they don't turn around and sell copies of it on their web site when the person buying it thought he was getting a one of a kind original.

I guess time will tell, if Lau never releases them then I would say it's a safe bet he can't.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #3869
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
If what you say is the case, then what Sideshow is claiming about it being a limited edition is false, SS says for example Poison Ivy Art has a ES of 250, yet if Lau can make more after the fact then the ES is a lie. I guess you can use technicalities like Lau doing a different sizes or changing a color. But IMO it's still shady.

The whole art thing with SS is fairly new for a long time SS had no plans on releasing art prints, so why didn't Lau release all the art prints he's done with SS before they decided to release them? There was a pretty big demand for them..... $10k-$15k is a drop in the bucket when you consider how many statues they sell. Artists have been hired to do a custom one off prints for people all the time, I assume they don't turn around and sell copies of it on their web site when the person buying it thought he was getting a one of a kind original.

I guess time will tell, if Lau never releases them then I would say it's a safe bet he can't.
yep...i think time will tell.

would be good if Lau can reissue them but would suck for the prints we already have since we paid a premium for them. anyway...that's how the collecting hobby is. like when we buy something at retail and a few months later they go on clearance for 50% off.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #3870
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:

Orangecrush and I have discussed this on several threads. I am sure he will chime in but apparently in the art print world releasing the same image at different sizes is NOT considered shady to the same degree as one might think.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote