Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
rychehitman
Galactus

Smackdown has really been the better show for about a year now. (from a storyline and talent perspective~ not a soap opera perspective)

CENA is killing RAW. ECW isnt even worth discussing.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

I use to love wrestling, but this crap on now IMO not wrestling. John Cena is a joke and 20 years ago would've been a whipping boy like the Brooklyn Brawler. 97% of these guys are hacks.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Randy Orton is listed way too high as well. He's got Honky Tonk Man heat.

Just watched some ECW this week for the first time in ages. At least it seemed fresher than the last time I saw RAW.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
chromesamurai
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

This list is why the PWi 500 means nothing to me. PWI DOES stand for Pro Wrestling INSIDER, right? So why is this so much like a mark's list. The fact that John Cena is number 1 (and it's not the first time!) and Khali is not listed somewhere around 850 shows that they're not caring much about the important things of what makes a wrestler good.

Here we go, here's the real breakdown.

What makes a wrestler good?

Ability to work, ie. put the match together in a coherent fashion where everything is understandable and believeable, while involving the audience and not giving away the business. That is part of what working is. Doesn't matter if you can throw a pretty suplex. What matters is why you do it and making it mean something.
Ability to put asses in seats. Some would argue that this is the most important skill any wrestler can have.
Connection with the fans.
Selflessness within the business. Is this guy willing to put other people over and is he good at it?
Ability to gain sympathy for a babyface.
Ability to gain heat for a heel.
Is the wrestler technically skilled enough to not make wrestling look fake? Everyone knows it's staged, but there's nothing "fake" about it. Fake would imply that we're all play fighting and nothing hurts. It's all one big optical illusion. Truth is, almost everything hurts. That's the reason not everyone can do this. Those people who can't sell, or those that make moves look weak hurt everyone.
That is just some of it, off the top of my head.

Things that shouldn't matter at all:
Win/Loss ratio. For the most part, wins and losses mean nothing in wrestling. There are people out there who win a lot, but can't work to save their life (Cena, Batista, Khali, Goldberg). Then, there are those that lose constantly, but are actually great hands who can work and excel at putting guys over (Balls, Regal, Finlay, Devine). At the end of the day, it's not how much you've won or lost. It's how much the fans care about you (love you or hate you) that ends up selling tickets and making money. That's what matters.
Diversity/Range of Opponents. Again, a meaningless stat. While it's good for someone to be able to work in any style required of him, ultimately, it's the promoter or booker that decides who he wrestles and what the end result is. If two guys are in a program and they wrestle mostly each other for the better part of a year, and the people can't get enough, that shouldn't be held against them.
Push, or Main Event status. Just because a booker has a man-crush on a wrestler doesn't mean he deserves the push. Hell, go to just about any indy wrestling show and tell me if the champ is the best thing on the card or near to it. Sometimes, they put the belt on a guy because he owns the promotion. Sometimes the guy with the belt has it because the booker is a mark and doesn't understand anything. Even worse, sometimes the booker is an active wrestler and puts the strap on himself.

Granted, some points are better than others. Cena sells merch, the little kids love him, and he does sell tickets. Should he be up there on this list because of it? Sure. Should he be number 1? No, he's just not the total package. The number 1 wrestler on a top 500 list should be just that. The number 1 guy in the business who epitomizes EVERYTHING a wrestler should be. I'd have to think long and hard to come up with a name that I'd consider to be #1 from that list, but I can tell you it wouldn't be Cena. No matter how much Vince wants him to be the next Hogan.
chromesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Nice post, samurai. Good comments. You pretty much nailed it. Especially that part about the win/loss and title stats. MEANINGLESS. Sometimes...just sometimes, the best wrestlers are also the champs (Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair etc.)but more often than not...especially in the WWE where it's the guy who Vince has taken a liking to for whatever reason.

The guys I mentioned above were hated and loved for the RIGHT reasons. Guys like Cena are hated for the wrong reason. They're suppose to be loved and they can't pull it off. I've never heard a face champ get so many mixed reactions from crowds. In some towns he gets downright booed. In other places he gets cheered and in most places it's a mixture of the two. I love when JR talks about Cena being a "controversial" champion LOL. He only says that when the boos are deafening.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
chromesamurai

My friend had this girl over to his place. They were watching Raw and she caught the part where Cena beat up Regal and put him out of action. She asked what Regal did to Cena that Cena beat him up like that. My friend told her how all Regal did was come out and tell Cena that Orton wasn't there that night. She said it best when she said, "So, he's pretty much acting like a spoiled brat?" She was right.

Good job, WWE writers. Way to make your champ look like a little b*tch.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
chromesamurai

Also, I had another lengthy post almost done with my comments on the top 500. Alas, one of my asshat roommates closed the browser while I was cleaning the back porch so...1000 words down the drain.

I'm not typing that again. Here's the 2 second recap:

"The PWI Top 500 List sucks sweaty donkey balls."

That is all.