Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Mike Hill

Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Oliver Reed-The elusive likeness

Hey all,

Having had some spare time due to a stay in the Uk that I didnt ask for,I thought I'd do a little soul-searching.

I believe there is a certain likeness,that always seems elusive.No mattter how close you get it, or how many people say its perfect only the sculptor can tell you it isnt.
For my buddy Bobby C I believe Chris Reeve is his goal, mine has always been Oliver Reed.

Anyhows,I decided to take another stab at him and make him the focus of my DVD.Bear in mind hes only 22 in this role.

MH

Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Well, you are certainly the most qualified one to sculpt the perfect Oliver Reed!

This one looks pretty damn close to perfection to me. The shape of his eyes and nose are particularly nice...

Most of the 'young' Oliver Reed pics I saw he was sporting a mustache, so I can't really comment on his upper lip.

Great work, and thanks for sharing!

(As an aside I bought one of your COTW kits from you at a Mad Model Party back in the '90's and I thought that likeness was perfect )
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Vader
Ghost

The "king" of likenesses returns. Looks like Reed's likeness eludes you no more. Great job. I loved your hammer bust too.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Amazing likeness !!!!
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

I believe there is a certain likeness,that always seems elusive.No mattter how close you get it, or how many people say its perfect only the sculptor can tell you it isnt.
For my buddy Bobby C I believe Chris Reeve is his goal, mine has always been Oliver Reed...

Unfortunately for me, I feel that way about 99% of the likenesses I attempt.

I recognized Reed before I even scrolled down to see the whole image, the eyes alone are dead to rights. Excellent looking portrait my friend. I'm not familiar enough with Reed's young face to offer a deeper critique, but even if I were, I don't think there would be anything to say.... Except that your DVD can not get here fast enough.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
TOM S.
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I agree with Andy about the dvd- can't wait! Oliver looks great too! Just wondering if you've ever sculpted a version of Oliver Reed in his final role of Prospero, in Gladiator? He always had an expressive face throughout his career, it just seem ed to become more so in this role with his over-the-top performance!
TOM S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bergholtz View Post
Unfortunately for me, I feel that way about 99% of the likenesses I attempt.

I recognized Reed before I even scrolled down to see the whole image, the eyes alone are dead to rights. Excellent looking portrait my friend. I'm not familiar enough with Reed's young face to offer a deeper critique, but even if I were, I don't think there would be anything to say.... Except that your DVD can not get here fast enough.
Andy...Andy...Andy, who are you fooling? I have a copy of the 1/6 De Niro and its absolutly perfect!

Thanks for the comments on Reed.Im determined to get him right.

Oh and I'll be calling ya this week.

Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
wofford29
The Spirit

Lookin' good.

On a side note, does anyone else think that Javier Bardem resembles a young Oliver Reed?
wofford29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Vader
Ghost

I see it now that you mention it.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote