Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

"HDTV - Ready" question

Ok, I know that "HDTV Ready" sets just need a decoder to show HD programming (just using a regular antenna). My question is, can you just get any HD decoder or does it usually depend on what TV set you have? In other words, if you have a Toshiba HDTV Ready set, do you HAVE to get the Toshiba brand HD decoder to get the signals or can you just go with another brand?
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
Ok, I know that "HDTV Ready" sets just need a decoder to show HD programming (just using a regular antenna). My question is, can you just get any HD decoder or does it usually depend on what TV set you have? In other words, if you have a Toshiba HDTV Ready set, do you HAVE to get the Toshiba brand HD decoder to get the signals or can you just go with another brand?
HD Ready means that you TV set will output a High-Def display if you get an HD set-top box (ie. tuner).

If you have cable or satellite, you need to acquire one of their HD converters to get local and premium HD content.

If you only want local HD content, you can just buy a standard set-top box from Best Buy or Walmart. However, you will need an antenna that can receive the HD content.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Oh ok, when I was saying "decoder" I was refering to a "set-top box." So I can get any standard one at Walmart or Best Buy? How much are they?
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:10 AM   #4
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Oh ok, when I was saying "decoder" I was refering to a "set-top box." So I can get any standard one at Walmart or Best Buy? How much are they?
If you buy a standard one...you still need an Antenna to receive the HD feed (if your within radius)

Do you have cable or satellite?
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 AM   #5
kirthew
Zot

Just do it through your cable or satellite provider... much easier and less headache in the long run... with crystal clear reception...
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew
Just do it through your cable or satellite provider... much easier and less headache in the long run... with crystal clear reception...

and usually digital soud as well...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

And if you get Direct Tv, wait until around June or so because they'll be releasing a new, cheaper and also lighter HD satellite dish.
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
rosko23
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
If u get an over the Air antenna to pick up HD, u only get local HD channels. You won't get ESPN, HBO, or any other cable HD channel. Better off getting the box through your cable or sat provider. Usually an extra $5 a month or so.
rosko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
kaza5555
New Republic

I have a Dish Network satellite. How can I get local hd reception in my area? I've heard of antenna before. But I'm confused to how exactly it is installed, outside or inside. Need help here.
kaza5555 is offline   Reply With Quote