Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #101
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I'm hoping that Joelle Jones blows my mind with the most incredible interpretation of the character ever.
This is just a hope, or is a statue in the works?
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #102
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
Given your propensity for criticism i'm surprised you'd even have this in your collection, under the influence or not lol
I agree, his example statue is awful.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #103
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
And I hate this trend. I don't like looking at a statue and going -- wow, she looks exactly like XXXX. I don't want a statue that looks like a woman in cosplay.

It's interesting to me that this trend has only occurred with the female statues. The male statues just look like generic artist take on a man. Nobody is trying to put Hugh Jackman's features on Wolverine/Logan - why is that? Because they know people don't want that. I wish somebody would knock it the F off with the female statues.

Rogue is another example that comes straight to mind. Angelina Jolie in the danger room.
Where as, conversely, I love it. I'm a fan of hyper realism in my statues.

I don't pay the big bucks for some badly drawn approximation of a female, huge breasts, legs that never end, eyes like Mickey Mouse, and a mosquito bite for a nose!!! I'll leave that nonsense to Japan, and their Anime.

I'm not troubled if the hyper realistic model happens to take structural direction from a real world lovely.....why would I? Better that then the female version of Quasimodo's armpit.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #104
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
This is just a hope, or is a statue in the works?
Starfire is usually represented in every DC line that has a decent number of statues. It's highly likely that she'll be part of Joelle Jones's Cover Girls wave.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #105
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
And I hate this trend. I don't like looking at a statue and going -- wow, she looks exactly like XXXX. I don't want a statue that looks like a woman in cosplay.

It's interesting to me that this trend has only occurred with the female statues. The male statues just look like generic artist take on a man. Nobody is trying to put Hugh Jackman's features on Wolverine/Logan - why is that? Because they know people don't want that. I wish somebody would knock it the F off with the female statues.

Rogue is another example that comes straight to mind. Angelina Jolie in the danger room.
I personally am a big fan of the new trend. I love how the facial characteristics are more unique and bodies more realistic porportion. In fact, this is why Sideshow female statues are currently my favorite statues.

I agree with the unoriginality of the SS male statues tho. They lack characteristics and all look very generic. I am not a fan of the most of the SS’s male statues because of that. They sometimes over-bulk them and I find the portraits uncreative. They look like they are made from the same cookie cutter.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #106
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
I also agree with you big time about the SS male statues tho. They lack characteristics and all look very generic. I am not a fan of the most of the SS’s male statues because of that. They sometimes over-bulk them and I find the portraits uncreative. They look like they are made from the same cookie cutter.
They are.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #107
Graven
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I was waiting for a cool 1/4 starfire pf, because i like her modern outlaws appearance a lot.. but what the heck is that... crappy hair chair pose. this should have been some kind of enraging ironman / captain marvel fighting pose with energy orbs... and whats the yellow-greenish thing... looks like hulk snot in her hand... not my starfire... pass
Graven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #108
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graven View Post
I was waiting for a cool 1/4 starfire pf, because i like her modern outlaws appearance a lot.. but what the heck is that... crappy hair chair pose. this should have been some kind of enraging ironman / captain marvel fighting pose with energy orbs... and whats the yellow-greenish thing... looks like hulk snot in her hand... not my starfire... pass

I would buy the "flying" pose if the right arm weren't posed like that. The right arm, as it is, makes it look like she's resting on it (and her hair). Also, the Starbolt should be a blaze of energy, not a wisp of formless smoke.

Contrast this with the TH 1/6-scale statue, which does have a powerful, flying pose.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #109
Peedi
The Secret Six

The position of her right arm indicates she’s leaning on her hair. Flying or not, this is odd. Creative, but odd. Her hair shouldn’t support her body weight, it’s hair, and aside from her hair traditionally trickling off into flames when she flies we’ve been given no indication her hair is extra dense enough to support her body weight. Otherwise, this pose makes no sense since she’s very much leaning in the air and positioning her right arm that way.

Should’ve gone for an action pose followed by an equally actionable Nightwing, Cyborg and Raven. Then we’d all be happy.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #110
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post

I would buy the "flying" pose if the right arm weren't posed like that. The right arm, as it is, makes it look like she's resting on it (and her hair). Also, the Starbolt should be a blaze of energy, not a wisp of formless smoke.

Contrast this with the TH 1/6-scale statue, which does have a powerful, flying pose.

I'm so easy to please, think they both look great. I give the edge to Tweeterhead, but this one fills that 1:4 scale void.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote