Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

All the airbrush painters please help

Hi All,

Due to my loction (Malta) it is very difficult get the paints normally mentioned in this forum. I do use acrylics but they are artist ones and very thick. When thinned they do the job but do get rubbery immediately and clog my airbrush. Of course i clean it everytime but its turning into a 2 min paint 10 min clean after every colour change.

I therefore did some research on airbrush ready paints. I managed to find a shop here that has Vallejo Model Air. They cost around 2.90 euros, around 3.20 dollars each. I will give these a go as well and see how i work with them.

I am only asking if anyone has an experience with these paints and what is a must to get with them such as thinner etc?

All your help is highly apreciated as i just picked up the brush these few days.

Thanks
Alexei
alexeicrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Jesse321
Galactus

You're going to need thinner with Vallejo ... by October 17th my website and paint line will be up and running.

www.garagekits.us/colors

Steve Riojas is going to do a review of them in the next AFM, and there's already a few reviews of people using the sample kits at The Clubhouse, and one of the best things about this brand (yeah, I'm tooting my own horn) is the fact that the viscosity works so well that even with the most opaque pigments, airbrush clogging is almost a thing of the past.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Jesse,

thanks for the info, but due to shipping regulations I cannot import paint, even if its just airbrush paint. Since it comes from USA it will have to be checked at customs and they would take them due to teh above mentioned reason.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Vallejo Model Air is good paint for you then since its all you can get. They work well out of the tube, but if for some reason you got some older tubes and its comes out thick you can thin it with some water of if they have a thinner for those paints.

i havent used all colors from them, but the ones i have used seemed to work out fine. You can even use their paints on small brushed to do detail work too (like eyes, lips etc..)

As for clogging a airbruh, that all depends on your model too. Some airbrushes tend to clog no matter what paint is used. But i haven't see Val paints clog my brush to much.

If you can get your hands on this Windsor newton brush cleaner, its great for pushing some thru your airbrush to clean any caked on paint.

Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
skorpsta
Ghost

vallejo model color reg are great i use them alot..esp when hand brushing thinned with water they leave no brush strokes..but it must be applied thin..when i airbrush i use craft paints form hobby stores {delta ceramacote, americana, folk art, and sometimes apple barrel but not often} i thinned these with air brush thinner {liqutex brand} and water and they work great!..i always seal with testors dullcoat...

look at my model build and paint ups, and my statue repaints click here and view

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/a...e69/?start=all

these were all use with the paints i spoke about.

good luck
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
alexeicrow

regarding testors dullcoat i cannot get this here. A matt clear varnish for acrylics would work the same?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexeicrow View Post
regarding testors dullcoat i cannot get this here. A matt clear varnish for acrylics would work the same?
It should work, but test it on all paints you use before you just slap it onto a finished item. Never know with varnish if there is a chemical to warp, yellow the acrylic paints. Each company is different and always test on something first.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote