Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 08-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #211
morty76
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Just got my shipping notice
Congrats Dao2. Please let us know how the statue turned out.
morty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #212
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Yeah please post some pics
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:49 AM   #213
dao2
Cyclops

I don't take very good pics so I tend not to. If no one else does I will.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #214
dao2
Cyclops

Since no one else has posted pics I will oblige, fair warning it's with rough overhead lighting, a $200 phone, and my crap photo skills but I did my best.

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised with this one, I saw some pics on FB and I wasn't too enamored and was worried I'd be a bit let down but it came out pretty damn awesome.

A quick run down and my thoughts.

Packaging: Decently compact, pretty tall and long but skinny box. Has styrofoam blocks on every side of the art box. I think corners are better as they give it a crush zone but I'm not expert on shipping there, mine came a-ok for the most part so can't complain there.

It had straps not tape holding it together which I always love so high five there. Here's a quick shot of the interior box. Wax paper and plastic bags (both) around the pieces, not cloth.

Paints: Overall pretty damn awesome. Especially the weathering I am very impressed. I'll start with the weakest part, the gold bits.

The eagle shoulder pad (which is packed separately to help keep it safe) has kept the detail very well and looks damn good. The weathering is also decent on it but IMO should have been a couple shades darker brown to really make it look nice.

The badge could have used some better shading tbh and either the paint was a bit too thick there or the sculpt lost a bit of it's sharpness, either badge while it still looks nice could have been a bit better. Still from a normal even up close it still looks pretty good. The chain is loose links btw not solid sculpt so they aren't likely to come damaged (fortunately).

Buckle is alright (looks better then it does in this photo), nothing mind blowing but nothing wrong with it.

Now the metal bits, VERY well done on the weathering effects there. I'm sure most of you have seen the terrible metal wear effect that seems to sneak it's way into statues where it's just a brush of silver across and it looks horrible. None of that here, just top notch wear on the shin guards, VERY nice looking. I'm glad that the weathering did not turn out like it did on the Ultra Bison.

The boots also had a lot of nice dirt and scuff marks to go with them

The shotgun also was painted beautifully, I was worried the skull would have some poor linework but it's solid and the weathering on the gun is also present, mostly on the barrel but there is still good shading through out.

I tried getting a good picture of the body weathering but unfortunately I was unable. It's present and done very well with some black in all the little crevices of the suit. You can vaguely see it in the badge photo. Here's the best full body shot I took but I can't tell there's shading in there but trust me there is shading on his body suit and all over his pads/belts/boots/etc. It's done well, not too strong and just the right amount of subtlety. The pic will show you all the suit detailing was retained though.

Before going to the heads I'll go over to the base. This was also similarly impressive. Not in a mind-blowing way but if you've ever seen rock bases (especially SS ones) they tend to be flat (2 or 3 tones at most), light on shading, and have a bad tendency to look kinda plasticy. Fortunately there are a lot of different colors and nice highlighting on the base which while it is a mostly plain base manages to look top tier.

I have statues from pretty much every big company out there. SS, PCS, HMO, Tsume, XM, and P1 and even the best (XM, HMO, P1) clearly give less attention to the base. A lot over spraying to blend colors and "muddy" looks. They still look great, but they clearly are a secondary focus. I don't know if I can say this is some of the best painted rock I've seen (it's clearly painted) but it looks great. It's nothing special as I said, but it's certainly a base paint job I'm happy with (though the stairs woulda been cooler ;p) Also sorry it's a back shot of the base! Forgot to take a front one. The skull in front is ok, nothing amazing.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #215
dao2
Cyclops

On to the heads. First off as we saw in the last PCS updated the bolt does not fade, it's solid white. I think it looks fone, and it's a nice clean line. If you're dead set on the fade you will be disappointed. It doesn't capture well in my photos but the helmet does flair out, maybe not as much as the original proto helmet so I feel like they did tighten it a bit. Also the gold shield could have been sharper in detail, the lines are a bit "fat".

Sorry the lighting was a bit harsh but there's a lot of skin tones on the head, it looks pretty darn good. Not like the best ever but it's not just one skin tone with some shading like normal. Also all the skin detail was preserved, pores and all. So nothing like the SS Red Sonja She Devil statue where all the good skin detail/pores got smoothed over (close up detail in 2nd headshot, pores are a lot bigger/more noticeable in that one which i actually don't like as much, some may prefer. Glad this head is the way it is though)

As for the second head, it is unfortunately disappointing. The teeth sculpt isn't actually as bad as I thought it would be in person (I did not like the proto pics, or the fb pics I saw) but the paint on the teeth is pretty bad. Unfortunately my photo doesn't really show it well but they are not as white as you will see below. Instead they have a veneer of the skin tone color over them which was a terrible choice IMO. I'm not expecting Mummy 2 Rock Level pristine white teeth, but they should have done white teeth with a very light brown on the edges or something. Again sorry the pic doesn't really show it but IMO the teeth are a terrible color. It is a closer pic though so you can make out all that great skin detail.

Personally I'm not too bothered by it because as I mentioned I never liked this head much anyway but I think I would actually like it if the teeth were painted well. If you were banking on using this head you probably are going to be disappointed.

Also for the cloak sorry no pics as I really only glanced at it. I would never use it and cover up all that detail. The FB pics I saw made it look like cheap nylon/plasticy and I can say that in person it is not. It would have been nice to have it be a little thicker though. Also IIRC it does have some weathering on it, but I really only looked for a second and moved on since I had no intention of using it. A poor EX choice IMO.

I have all 4 Dredd statues from PCS (Of Dredd, no Death) and this is easily my favorite. When it went up for PO it wasn't exactly a steal of a price at $800 so I do take that into account. It's not as expensive as some other companies but not cheap. Still overall due to the excelling weathering, sculpt detail, and taking the whole statue into account I would give this a 9/10 (or at least a high 8). Very happy with it, and if you want a penultimate Dredd statue this might be it. Though I'd recommend waiting (it will be a while) until the Q-Collectibles Dredd releases to see how much it costs and how close to the proto it will be as that looks fantastic too (though I fear the price and production piece ;p). If you don't want to wait this is an awesome piece and well worth the price.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:12 AM   #216
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Textures look great throughout and paints look clean which i'll always take!

And the base does look brilliant, it's amazing how many rock bases look plastic-y (looking at you GamingHeads) but this one looks great and i love the outlet pipe at the back.

Also 15 month turn around, not bad at all.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:33 AM   #217
morty76
Justice League

Smile

Thanks for the pics and review Dao2. The statue looks great.
morty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #218
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
Textures look great throughout and paints look clean which i'll always take!

And the base does look brilliant, it's amazing how many rock bases look plastic-y (looking at you GamingHeads) but this one looks great and i love the outlet pipe at the back.

Also 15 month turn around, not bad at all.
Yeah very happy with the base.

GH do a lot of rock bases so you think they'd be good at it :P Though TBH the ones I have with them (the ME ones) are actually not that bad because they use matte paints for them. Garrus' is perfectly fine. Wrex's doesn't look plasticy but it's a stupid base anyway :| Don't have anything else from them though so can't comment.

Most of the SS stuff I have is Star Wars and a couple of the rock bases are pretty crap. Mythos Fett isn't the worst but it's just one tone with light shading :| The Death Trooper is straight plastic

The absolute worse I've seen is HCG's Cleric

HCG is HCG though...
Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #219
Python
Omega Red

Looks like it turned out pretty good.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #220
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Yeah very happy with the base.

GH do a lot of rock bases so you think they'd be good at it :P Though TBH the ones I have with them (the ME ones) are actually not that bad because they use matte paints for them. Garrus' is perfectly fine. Wrex's doesn't look plasticy but it's a stupid base anyway :| Don't have anything else from them though so can't comment.

Most of the SS stuff I have is Star Wars and a couple of the rock bases are pretty crap. Mythos Fett isn't the worst but it's just one tone with light shading :| The Death Trooper is straight plastic

The absolute worse I've seen is HCG's Cleric

HCG is HCG though...
Lol that's actually my HCG Cleric pic and that base was absolute dog sh!t....statue wasn't much better either...lol
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote