Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

DC Comics To “Get Back to its Publishing Roots”

DC Comics has announced a reorganization, including the firing of two senior people, to “get back to its publishing roots.”

While the announcement doesn’t say this, to me this feels like a condemnation of New 52 and even Rebirth which may have started out strong but couldn’t carry through. It’s an admission that DC Comics has lost its way (it certainly lost me as a reader starting with Ndw 52) and wants to find its way back. I hope they do.

https://www.newsarama.com/43601-dc-m...its-roots.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

The two high ranking executives named in the article worked in Marketing. I'm pretty sure they didn't have much, if any, editorial input.

Quote:
Jim Lee and Dan DiDio will continue in their roles of co-publishers and Bob Harras will continue as SVP & Editor-In-Chief.

This is the big news: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...kforce-1178694

Quote:
DC Collectibles, the merchandising arm of the company, will be moved under Warner Bros. Consumer Products' Toy team.
DC was basically forced by its parent companies to narrow its business focus. Movies/TV shows will be made by Warner Pictures with reduced DC involvement. Similarly, toys/statues/merchandise will be made by Warner with reduced DC involvement.

This is similar to how Marvel Studios is completely separate from Marvel Comics. Kevin Feige doesn't dip his fingers in both movies and comics.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:27 AM   #3
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I have been going through my comics and getting rid of about half of my collection. I found that the only NU52 books I have kept were Green Lantern, Legion of Super Heroes (both which were really not affected) and Justice League. Any other that I had purchased were sold. I think in some regards Rebirth has still gone strong but there have been some books that stumbled (Justice League being one of them).

For some reason, when I see that DC wants to get back to it's "Publishing Roots" it seems that we have seen this type of statement from them before.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post

This is similar to how Marvel Studios is completely separate from Marvel Comics. Kevin Feige doesn't dip his fingers in both movies and comics.
Joe Quesada is Chief Creative Officer for Marvel Entertainment and a big part of his role is connecting creative output across all of Marvel, including across publishing and film. He’s the creative connecting tissue across Marvel, not Feige.

The statement is pretty clear about “returning” DC publishing to “its roots.” That statement is a pretty clear condemnation of its last several years’ efforts, to me.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post

For some reason, when I see that DC wants to get back to it's "Publishing Roots" it seems that we have seen this type of statement from them before.
Yep, that’s what they said about Rebirth which, largely, was a snore in terms of change while just wholesale dropping the New 52 banner.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
The statement is pretty clear about “returning” DC publishing to “its roots.”
Yes, by focusing on publishing, not toys/statues or movies/TV shows.

Btw, you're behind the times with regards to Marvel: http://collider.com/why-the-end-of-t...er-mcu-movies/
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Mister H
Green Goblin

I’ll have to see some consistent change before I go back to either DC or Marvel. They both lost me years ago.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
Augen
The Hulk

I haven't been thrilled since New 52, but there have been some great moments along the way and Rebirth was a right step. I still don't have confidence in Didio, but Doomsday Clock may makes some things right for me.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yes, by focusing on publishing, not toys/statues or movies/TV shows.
Right, that’s what it says.

Last edited by wktf; 01-24-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Yay? I miss crazy elseworld Batman one shots. I miss people like Grant morrison who took liberties with characters to make them more of an escape away fron my day to day.
I get beat over the head by the media all day and someone else’s opinion on current events that I would rather my reading be some crazy story about how Batman had this alternate persona all along incase someone tries to take over his mind.
Same with marvel! Enemy of the State was an awesome Wolverine story.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote