Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 01-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #1
NamesJay
The Spirit

Can someone help me out with these bootlegs?

I was searching for some of the Bishoujo figures on eBay and I noticed there were tons of bootlegs.

Is there an easy way to differentiate between which ones are legit and which ones are fake?
NamesJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Griffon
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Hi, red flags to watch out for...

Seller location = mostly China or Hong Kong.

Price = dirt cheap $10-$40.

Packaging = no green Kotobukiya logo on the box, most times no Marvel or DC Comics logo either.

Statue & accessories = horrible recast, terrible paint job, poorly assembled.

Recommend ordering from a reputable store (ask for in-hand photos if required) or direct from KotoUS.com
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Augen
Metal Men

I got burned once so as a rule I am wary of China on eBay in regards to anything.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I posted some tips here a while back: http://www.statueforum.com/showpost....8&postcount=89

If you don't want recast, don't by China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or even Canada, as I know at least a few China companies are funneling through there now. Stick with Japan or US. But even then, you have to inspect the images. If they use stock images, be extra cautious. If they have individual pics, look at the paint and seams/joints. Compare to known legit images. The fakes are pretty easy to spot once you compare them, you can get a good eye for it after a while, even with the quality from some sellers getter better as they make more bootlegs.

If it says no box because it's too expensive, or offer a box for extra money, then that's a recast for sure.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

UnicornPegasus & Griffon's lists are pretty accurate. Like Augen, my brother and I got burned as well. Thankfully it wasn't a costly mistake. We've learned a lot from the "Kotobukiya Bishoujo Collectors" group on Facebook.

Turning the experience into a positive, I've posted comparison pics of my recast and authentic pieces. Since Koto posts photos of the prototypes on the website and not production pieces, it can be tough/confusing to see the difference. Hopefully these comparison shots can help someone else learn from my mistake.

Fake vs. Authentic

Note the bootleg's rougher PVC cast and paint blending on the hair. Bootleg's dress has blue shading and white frills while authentic's dress has white hues and clear frills.

Note bootleg's upper thigh with rough vertical seam.

Bootleg's stockings have a huge seam and tighter mesh.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote