Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #51
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

It's kind of funny that in a day where Marvel almost stumbles over themselves to keep everything politically correct, gender/race/religion/sex diverse, and then they think "oh this is cutting edge" and it's just kind of a stupid dick storyline to write and it pisses everyone off lol
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #52
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

An Irish American super hero would never be a Hydra Agent. It just wouldn't happen.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #53
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
An Irish American super hero would never be a Hydra Agent. It just wouldn't happen.
Especially if he was dreamed up by two WWII era Jewish creators.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #54
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
It's kind of funny that in a day where Marvel almost stumbles over themselves to keep everything politically correct, gender/race/religion/sex diverse, and then they think "oh this is cutting edge" and it's just kind of a stupid dick storyline to write and it pisses everyone off lol

The irony.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 AM   #55
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Interesting back and forth on this topic. Sometimes things are done for different reasons. Perhaps there's no malicious intent from anyone in turning Captain America into the very thing he was created to fight. But, it goes deeper than that to me. Captain America isn't just a fictitious character, he represents an ideal. He represents the ideals of the country we used to be. To try and remove all of the good that he was supposed to represent is not just a story, it potentially has bigger implications than that. Can you chose to say, "Oh, this is just another story...no big deal". Yes, you can do that if you chose. But, this does not make me feel that way, it causes me to feel like someone might be making a statement about America. A statement that America isn't really good. A statement that America appears to be good, but is not what it appears to be. Of course, I don't know if that's the intent of the writers who came up with this terrible idea, but the fact that there could even be the possibility of such a thing disturbs me. I love this nation, and I honor all those who have fought to protect it. Trying to soil Captain America by turning him into a Nazi is not just a slap to the face of a fictitious character and the fans who have enjoyed reading his exploits, it's a potential slam to the nation he was created to represent. This is of course my opinion, but I definitely don't like this idea at all and think it should be $h!+ canned.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #56
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

It is interesting hearing so many folks go nuts about something like this. Cap being HYDRA and all.

Plus I don't ever really think of HYDRA as Nazi's in the real sense. They're based on the Nazis in the comics obviously but they're really just placeholders so they can do things and use Nazi esque stories without it seeming out of place in the world anymore. Sorta as dumb as it sounds like "kid friendly Nazis".

All this and the way Cap will inevitably go back likely by the end of this arc or two doesn't really make me care either way.

Though I do think it's disingenuous to have it be a Captain America book when it isn't. It's a HYDRA story of trying to use Captain America.

Sort of like how Bendis planned initially to have a Spider-woman series before Secret Invasion or so that would've revealed Spider-woman was a Skrull (earlier than she was eventually revealed in the comics) but he nixed the idea since he felt it was crappy to say it's one book when it's not about that character.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #57
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
Interesting back and forth on this topic. Sometimes things are done for different reasons. Perhaps there's no malicious intent from anyone in turning Captain America into the very thing he was created to fight. But, it goes deeper than that to me. Captain America isn't just a fictitious character, he represents an ideal. He represents the ideals of the country we used to be. To try and remove all of the good that he was supposed to represent is not just a story, it potentially has bigger implications than that. Can you chose to say, "Oh, this is just another story...no big deal". Yes, you can do that if you chose. But, this does not make me feel that way, it causes me to feel like someone might be making a statement about America. A statement that America isn't really good. A statement that America appears to be good, but is not what it appears to be. Of course, I don't know if that's the intent of the writers who came up with this terrible idea, but the fact that there could even be the possibility of such a thing disturbs me. I love this nation, and I honor all those who have fought to protect it. Trying to soil Captain America by turning him into a Nazi is not just a slap to the face of a fictitious character and the fans who have enjoyed reading his exploits, it's a potential slam to the nation he was created to represent. This is of course my opinion, but I definitely don't like this idea at all and think it should be $h!+ canned.
Bingo.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #58
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

So here's a question: how could this story arc end that would make you happy with it?

If he is legit hydra - it's dumb
If it is explained away in comic logic - it was all for nothing - and dumb
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #59
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
So here's a question: how could this story arc end that would make you happy with it?

If he is legit hydra - it's dumb
If it is explained away in comic logic - it was all for nothing - and dumb
Or, it was magic, which is Marvel's way of saying we had no idea what to do with this idea once we set it in motion...
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #60
adee
Green Arrow

the triple agent or clone scenario is the only way I can see it going and it is dumb
adee is offline   Reply With Quote