Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #181
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

It's totally amazing to me how different people's tastes are. I thought the Valkyrie's paint app looked down right unfinished and yet, people seemed to like it. Now this... I was not a fan of this sculpt since it's inception but was waiting to see it painted before giving my final decision. Now seeing it painted, I actually like it. Although the choice of red seems a bit obvious, inthink it's well done and the transitions between human and demon flesh look convincing. I don't think I'm going to be ordering it because even though I do appreciate the paint, instill don't know if I like it enough to give up valuable shelf space in my house. But overall, good job on what was probably a very challenging piece to paint.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #182
The13thWarlock
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Another pass for me due to the paint app. Why are the flames around the base the same color as her skin?

Too bad because I really liked the sculpt.
You know what I think on this... and I hope I'm wrong... but judging by this and the Valkyrie, I think their statues only have two main colors. First painter does the red skin, next painter does the flesh then the last painter picks out a few details like the nipple covers, eyes and horns. This is why the flames are the same as the demon skin. For the Valkyrie one person does the flesh, the next person the armor metal and grey and the thirds picks out the details.

If limiting the color scheme is the way they are speeding up production to cut labor and match what the Chinese factories are doing they are going to have to be smart about it. In other words, more statues like Eve where it's just a naked woman and a green snake to paint and less like Hades who is covered in ornate armor.
The13thWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #183
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Disappointed in this... ugh.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #184
clutch
Sailor Moon

Looks trashy. Like one of those cheapo statues that you would find in a Orlando, FL gift shop.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #185
sash501
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Colors are a no for me. Base looks unfinished
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #186
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
It's totally amazing to me how different people's tastes are. I thought the Valkyrie's paint app looked down right unfinished and yet, people seemed to like it. Now this... I was not a fan of this sculpt since it's inception but was waiting to see it painted before giving my final decision. Now seeing it painted, I actually like it. Although the choice of red seems a bit obvious, inthink it's well done and the transitions between human and demon flesh look convincing. I don't think I'm going to be ordering it because even though I do appreciate the paint, instill don't know if I like it enough to give up valuable shelf space in my house. But overall, good job on what was probably a very challenging piece to paint.
It surprises me that you like the paint since you were so set against red skin and the "burnt flesh" look of the scales in your past comments. I feel like that's exactly what we got here with this paint app.

I have to wonder if Arahom even realized those were supposed to be flames around the base. After seeing the sculpt, I recall asking Ehren if they were going to paint the flames or use clear resin. He didn't correct me and say they were supposed to be something else other than flames. So painting them the same color as her skin is baffling to me.

I feel perhaps a lighter shade of red for the skin and darker scales was the way to go. It would have created a nice contrast between the two. Hell, I was originally against it but maybe a flesh tone for the skin would have come out better. It might have played more to Arahom's strengths since he's probably more used to it.

I feel Ehren got it right with his vision for the scales when he posted this pic a while back. They should look more like natural armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thWarlock View Post
You know what I think on this... and I hope I'm wrong... but judging by this and the Valkyrie, I think their statues only have two main colors. First painter does the red skin, next painter does the flesh then the last painter picks out a few details like the nipple covers, eyes and horns. This is why the flames are the same as the demon skin. For the Valkyrie one person does the flesh, the next person the armor metal and grey and the thirds picks out the details.

If limiting the color scheme is the way they are speeding up production to cut labor and match what the Chinese factories are doing they are going to have to be smart about it. In other words, more statues like Eve where it's just a naked woman and a green snake to paint and less like Hades who is covered in ornate armor.
Whatever the reason, it's a disappointment. It looks rushed and uninspired to me. Based on the answers we were getting during this piece's development, it's no secret that Arahom was struggling with the paint app and it shows in the end result. Like with the Valkyrie piece, I'm very underwhelmed.

I might sound like I'm being harsh but those two pieces were pretty high on my want list. I feel like they really missed the target on both for me. I was even considering transferring one of my existing orders to this piece. Looks like i dodged that bullet, at least.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #187
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Looks like a Purgatori rip off. Paint job looks very cheap IMO.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #188
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

This one wasn't for me from the start. That said I like it better painted than I did unpainted. I do think the flames should have had more yellow and orange and differentiating from the color of the succubus however.
TNovak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #189
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I'm sure Ehren wants to dodge commenting on this completed piece at all.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #190
ReTardist
The Herculoids

yikes
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote