Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 02-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #71
jon.reynolds
A day without sunshine is like... night.

They had a plan at one point to combine the stadium and convention center. They were going to build the stadium into the water close to the current convention center and then build the convention center underneath the field. I forget what happened to the plan.
jon.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #72
Mario Wario
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.reynolds View Post
They had a plan at one point to combine the stadium and convention center. They were going to build the stadium into the water close to the current convention center and then build the convention center underneath the field. I forget what happened to the plan.
I think it was too much in price so it was shot down, if I remember correctly. Gotta research on that to confirm it.

But yeah, the NFL brand holds a lot more money, way more compared to SDCC, and the chance again to host the Super Bowl is another reason I can see the city doing everything possible to keep the NFL there. Even if it means losing the con. Just look, the MLB All-Star Game is next year and if CCI didn't change their dates to the following week, I bet you the city would have pressured CCI to change its dates. Probably using some kind of economic threats to have them change its dates. Of course, that didn't happen. Overall though, professional sports holds all the $$$$, regardless on who goes to the games.
Mario Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #73
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
Assuming all goes well with my plans, I'll be located at the 3A Toys booth which will be co-located with the IDW booth. After not being able to travel to SDCC last year due to finances, I'm really looking forward to this one
Cool now we have a booth to meet up at. If 3A has a Marvel exclusive, make sure you set one aside for me to buy.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #74
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Cool now we have a booth to meet up at. If 3A has a Marvel exclusive, make sure you set one aside for me to buy.
Now i see why we couldn't meet up last year, we didn't have royd there to make it happen. I wasn't able to get any tickets this year so i'll have to experience sdcc thru bill's pictures or texts
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #75
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
Now i see why we couldn't meet up last year, we didn't have royd there to make it happen. I wasn't able to get any tickets this year so i'll have to experience sdcc thru bill's pictures or texts
3 words. Nobu Nobu Nobu.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #76
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Well, as you say, you are not a sports fan. I would wager 50-60% of the area watches the Chargers game while less than 1% attend (or even could attend) comic con.

Losing a NFL team will hurt a city more financially than the lose of the comic con as the sports culture is so pervasive of everything.

My guess is you will get a new stadium. Too much money at stake not too.
Polls are not good for the stadium funding though. Over half oppose, a third approve. And that wasn't registered voters, it won't get better with those that vote their pocketbooks, especailly when we have infrastructure and law enforcement retention issues.
I don't think any PR campign can shift those numbers in favor enough.

Ten years ago I might agree with you it would happen, but again, demograpics are changing and the Chargers just angered some fans negotiating with their mortal enemy the Raiders and doing so behind their backs for nine months. I am no fan true and up front I want them gone, but friends of mine are and that hit them hard. That and the team does get called the "Chokers". Not like it's been a gleaming jewel for San Diego.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #77
Underdog07
Hercules

Who tried for hotels yesterday?

One thought I had is that they should have an image of the site up so you can review before it goes live. Having to read each box that they want you to check or not check takes valuable time.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #78
lbeechee
Justice League

Quote:
Monster, what 3A stuff do you collect?

RoyD, will you be working at the 3A booth?
lbeechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #79
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeechee View Post
Monster, what 3A stuff do you collect?

RoyD, will you be working at the 3A booth?
Nothing yet but I've been tempted by their Marvel stuff.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #80
lbeechee
Justice League

Quote:
Nothing yet but I've been tempted by their Marvel stuff.
OH, thought you had already. Lol. I've been collecting 3A since 2008, I was pumped when I heard the Ironman was being released I passed when he was due to some concerns with the rubber, but it turned out a floppy waist was the biggest issue. He's cool looking, so I may still buy one. Waiting to see how their DC toys come out.
lbeechee is offline   Reply With Quote