Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I hear you, CM. I have two golden retrievers. One needed hip surgery on both hips ($5k), both have had illensses and injuries, and sometimes just damns vacinations and standard treatments run into the hundreds of dollars! I love 'em but, man, those bills hurt!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Parky
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I hear you, CM. I have two golden retrievers. One needed hip surgery on both hips ($5k)
that much! sorry to hear that wkft
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I hear you, CM. I have two golden retrievers. One needed hip surgery on both hips ($5k), both have had illensses and injuries, and sometimes just damns vacinations and standard treatments run into the hundreds of dollars! I love 'em but, man, those bills hurt!
Did insurance not cover these wktf?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I don't have pet insurance. Funny thing is when my former firm offered this I laughed at the idea. Now I wish my new firm offered it! Having two dogs is a double whammy on vet bills, too.

The hip surgery was $2.5k per hip, and it came out of my pocket and I don't do credit cards so this one hurt. This problem is a fairly common issue with large dogs (Buster's now a 100 lb golden retriever, solid muscle) that they get hip displaysia (sp?) and there's a short window of opportunity to get in there and fix it. We took it rather than have the poor boy suffer. He really was in a lot of pain. He's much happier now but I won't drop that much dough on a dog treatment ever again.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13
Thats why I stick to fish... When they die... Buy a new one!
dude you and me think the same. though my eye and kids got a cat and a dog so i can understand the vet bills.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #16
cblakey1
Cyclops

I guess what kills me the most though, is that Vets are now assigning human diseases to dogs (and other domestic pets). They told me that because I didn't have my dogs' doo-dads lopped off that he could get testicular cancer, or if we don't do this procedure, then this will happen, you get the picture.. So they pretty much try to make you feel guilty enough to spend money to have these procedures done. My girl dog had an eye problem and they sent me to a human opthamologist (sp?) and now I have to give her $75.00/month eye cream for the rest of her life! Plus I have one friend who's cat has diabetes and another friend who's cat has epilepsy and he has to give his cat something. It's nuts I tell ya!

Growing up, my mom worked at a vet and she pretty much adopted all dogs that people would abandon (due to prohibitive medical bills) and we never had to take 'em to the vet or have surgery done on them and they all lived long, happy lives.

That's why I pretty much have a bad taste in my mouth as far as Vets go... they're a scam. Problem is, I can't convince my wife, and we wind up going through the vet motions when she thinks they're acting funny.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #17
Tattoo-S
Mrs. Wookie~'Venger's Girl~GORE Princess~Silly Sister~Beast Lover

Wow.....Sometimes I feel so blessed to live a rural life. I have spent Thousands of $ on pets, (over the years) but we typically don't have pet problems. I do all the shots (execpt rabies) myself, and we keep a good close eye on things that have a potential to get worse. Try to treat most things ourselves and are fairly successful. I did have dog once that developed a fatty cist, and had to have it removed, but it was only like $250.00 w/biopsy. I had an EMERGENCY bill recently for $498 but it was an after hours...2 hour emergency C-section, so I didn't really think it too exorbadent. I wonder what people do when they literally cannot afford to get the pet the help it might need.....furthermore, I hope I never have to make that judgement call

Sorry about your pet woes.....Pets are such an asset to lives, it's a shame they can't all just be well......
Tattoo-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #18
Comicboy
Deadman

Vet bills are a huge scam. They charge that much for cats and dogs because they know we love them like kids and will pony up the dough. I know a guy that bascially lives on a farm. He has dogs, cats, birds, a quarter horse, and pygmy goats. The difference in bills for the dogs, cats and birds compared to the horse and goats is astronomical. The vet goes to his place for the horse and goats and the cost is about one tenth for those animals. Same treatments, tens times the cost. Sorry to hear about your animal woes. I spent 2500 to get my dogs eye fixed when he developed cataracts when he just turned 1. He got them in both eyes, we did one eye because he couldn't handle it. He was there for 2 weeks, they wanted to keep him longer. He was just so miserable there, he lost alot of weight and was starting to go downhill fast. We got him out of there, brought him home and nursed him back to health. I can't say for sure how well he sees now but he has no problems navigating around or seeing his favorite ball or toys when we play.
Comicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #19
CanadianMachine
I am da law!

Damn it!!!!! Part 2

I could not go to the vet at 4 because of work bull****, so my brother took him. He went home and let them out. I guess the wind knocked over the umbrela in the table, which in turn knocked open the gate. Well, both dogs got out. My brother went looking for them. He found them in the water retenion area, covered in mud. So great, Luc was playing in a cess pool of sagnant water with an open cut.

Get him to the vet. The vet says that he has to put him under again to restitch the cut because of how close it is to the eye. He says he may get it done tonite and will call me when he is done. So exactly one week in between vet visits for his eye lid cut.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!
CanadianMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #20
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMachine
Get him to the vet. The vet says that he has to put him under again to restitch the cut because of how close it is to the eye. He says he may get it done tonite and will call me when he is done. So exactly one week in between vet visits for his eye lid cut.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!
Dayum... Canadian Vetcare is as bad as Canadian Healthcare, huh? And as expensive as US health care.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote