Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #71
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
He has? I haven’t read his books since Reggie Hudlin did the writing, and that was mid 2000’s or so, and I don’t recall this at all? Was this from the Priest run? Because I don’t recall that either.
Yep, It was Priests Run

Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #72
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Yeah, I just looked this up. I confess I bailed on Priest’s run right around where Volume 3 or his trades pick up.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #73
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Yeah, I just looked this up. I confess I bailed on Priest’s run right around where Volume 3 or his trades pick up.
If you think about it though it does make sense. I mean Cap being the Super Soldier still wears chainmail armor. So why wouldn't the protector of Wakanda, amped up from the scared herb as he is, wear Vibranium, one of the chief metals his land produces?

Just makes a ton of sense to me. I think it kind of goes with modern thinking and what we know about how much damage the body would take doing "Super heroics". Some kind of body armor would probably be a great idea.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #74
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
You know, I hadn't made the connection of Black Panther/Killmonger to Iron Man/Iron Monger, both villains using replicas of the heroes' suits in their battles with them. Excellent point.
That similarity is not lost on me either. Nothing original on that front.

But without a doubt there is a cultural representation here that is part of the excitement.

I challenge anyone here to name a major blockbuster studio film where the co-stars, much less most of the cast was of one particular color other than white.

(And no, AVATAR doesn't count! )
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #75
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I don’t think Man-Ape will ever happen. They will just call him by his name. I doubt we see the gorilla costume on him either, too much potential for a lawsuit.
Yeah, that's exactly what they're doing. M'Baku without the Ape suit...classic Man Ape was scrapped for obvious reasons.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #76
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what they're doing. M'Baku without the Ape suit...classic Man Ape was scrapped for obvious reasons.
Those reasons weren't so obvious to H&M though: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/b...nkey.html?_r=0
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #77
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Those reasons weren't so obvious to H&M though: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/08/b...nkey.html?_r=0
I would say that was an honest mistake. A dumb one sure, but nothing more than that.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #78
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
If you think about it though it does make sense. I mean Cap being the Super Soldier still wears chainmail armor. So why wouldn't the protector of Wakanda, amped up from the scared herb as he is, wear Vibranium, one of the chief metals his land produces?

Just makes a ton of sense to me. I think it kind of goes with modern thinking and what we know about how much damage the body would take doing "Super heroics". Some kind of body armor would probably be a great idea.
I agree, though I never liked Batman’s armor in his films, as much sense as that made. I don’t think Hudlin had him wearing Vibranium fabric, as I read his whole run and don’t recall this. Nor Hickman in his Avenges run after that when he used Black Panther. So it’s probably less than 2 of the 5 decades you noted.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #79
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
I would say that was an honest mistake. A dumb one sure, but nothing more than that.
Very dumb..."I don't want a paycheck anymore" dumb.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #80
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
It's ignorance and lacking any true vetting process by a diverse marketing staff.

Course then again, the company is based in Sweden so who knows what the minority representation is in their country, much less their hiring practices.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote